EI Distributors - too good to be true?

I ordered one too and put it on the shelf fo rnow. I think I may put it into the 78 if I ever get back to finishing the 1500/FI swap project on it. :)

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what is a "123 Bluetooth distributor from Germany"?

Another curiosity question; are these distributors taller (longer) than normal? Is that why extra clearance is needed? I'm not looking to buy one, just wondering.

As to these working or not, I'd imagine the real question might be if they continue to work reliably for any length of time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they won't. I'm just saying that would be the test of their quality. However the question of quality is not specific to these; you will pretty much have the same question regardless of what part you buy, regardless who you buy it from, and regardless how much you spend for it. As the automotive parts market has become a global commerce the issue of quality has been blurred beyond any normal expectations for all brands and price points. So it's a total gamble anymore, you don't always get what you pay for. That might make these distributors a great bargain. Especially for a hobby car that isn't driven much.

As I stated before, this is for my road repair box so I thought I should at least try it. It is taller than all the X1/9 distributors I know of. That is why I changed to the side plug cap and massaged the access cover.

The 123 ignition comes in 3 versions with one being usb programmable, one being switchable between two different curves and the third being blue tooth programmable from a smartphone app. I chose the blue tooth version.

The chart with timing advance curves is for the cheap distributor, not the 123.

Last edited:
received_10211873202812070.png
received_2196816190537431.gif

Last edited:
Now I remember the "123" products. Wow, back like 15-20 years ago (I think, time is a unknown variable for me anymore) I tried to work with them in developing the 'distributorless' system for Fiats. They were a fairly new company, out of Europe somewhere. They had some similar products for other applications that used a Bosch distributor close to the Fiat's. These were not really distributorless as they retained the lower half to drive an electronic module, but no cap, etc. But they weren't interested. No idea what they offer now days. The Bluetooth feature sounds like an interesting twist.

This is a video of the actual $40.00 dizzy installed and running in my X1/9 with a 1.9 stroker. I havent road tested it as of yet. I set base at 5 deg. btdc since I havent had a chance to change the advance curve. I will play with it as time allows. Seems that for a travel kit unit it would work fine.

The 40 dollar dizzy does work fine as elderair stated...installed mine yesterday...really tall with supplied cap...think I will source and angled cap as well or just fab a new access panel...not concerned about having the spare in car anyways...didnt clear my rough idle like I hoped...guess it fuel air problems..rebuild carb next on list

Hi, these guys are now shipping to Oz so I bought one to have a play with. I received the distributor and it looks fine, no problems with the seller. However, there was no information with it. Can anyone who has already installed one please supply the specifications such as timing advance etc and also some installation instructions such as how to set static timing. Any info gratefully received.
Rgds Pat

Hi, these guys are now shipping to Oz so I bought one to have a play with. I received the distributor and it looks fine, no problems with the seller. However, there was no information with it. Can anyone who has already installed one please supply the specifications such as timing advance etc and also some installation instructions such as how to set static timing. Any info gratefully received.
Rgds Pat

Elderair posted the timing map in the above post:

index.php

I imagine installing it is the same procedure as a stock distributor? The workshop manual (available on Xweb) has the info if that helps.

Finally installed mine. Seems to work fine right through the rev range. One thing I did detect is that the little heatsink gets very hot. Anyone else find this? I am using a Bosch hec715 coil which has a primary resistance of about 1.4ohms and resistance between the - or + and the centre HT terminal of about 8Mohm.

Last edited:
Finally installed mine. Seems to work fine right through the rev range. One thing I did detect is that the little heatsink gets very hot. Anyone else find this? I am using a Bosch hec713 coil which has a primary resistance of about 1.4ohms and resistance between the - or + and the centre HT terminal of about 8Mohm.
Is that coil designed to have a ballast resistor? Total resistance for coil plus ballast is often in the 3 ohm range.

I was thinking along the same lines. One cheap ballast resistor and it runs cooler than a polar bear in sunglasses

The heat sink for the ignition module likely would not be affected by a ballast resister, the ballast resister is for the coil. The heatsink is for the switching IC and the logic circuits which is going to get hot regardless, a bigger heatsink is the solution to this issue.

The 124 and most other modern electronic ignition coils don’t use a ballast resister as the coil is set up to not need one. Unless the directions show otherwise this shouldn’t need one.

i did not understood why you talk of 40 USD..the price is 10 times higher..or there is something i didnt catched up?
They are not discussing he 123 unit which is quite expensive, it is about a lower cost unit which is avialable on Ebay, the link can be found earlier in this long thread.

The heat sink for the ignition module likely would not be affected by a ballast resister, the ballast resister is for the coil. The heatsink is for the switching IC and the logic circuits which is going to get hot regardless, a bigger heatsink is the solution to this issue.

The 124 and most other modern electronic ignition coils don’t use a ballast resister as the coil is set up to not need one. Unless the directions show otherwise this shouldn’t need one.
That is the point. If it is an older coil and the primary resistance is that low, it was likely designed to be used with a ballast. The switching transistor is probably switching about twice the current it was designed for causing excess heat.

Last edited:
Zombie wake up call for this old dead thread.

Any long term experience with the inexpensive (still under $40 USD on eBay) all inclusive electronic distributor/ignition system? I don't need one but am interested to hear how they are doing. After reviewing the entire thread again, there was one report of it possibly having a limited RPM. However it wasn't followed up to know if that was a dizzy issue or something else. Or that could have been a defective unit, as there were others that installed it and did not report such an issue. But the test of time will be a better measuring stick, and hopefully more users of it as well. So, any current feedback on these affordable distributors?

Looks like I am not the first person to wake up this thread :) Just purchased one these distributors from Vick's. Has anyone confirmed that it does not need a ballast resistor? Also from the advance curves posted earlier I am guessing that I should hook it up to a vacuum port on the carb or recurve it for proper operation correct?

Back