Electric choke wiring?

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
Hi guys,

I am working on installing a Weber DFEV into my 124 Sedan. I have it all set up except for the electric choke. The Redline K518 kit I got came with lots of good stuff, but no instructions for wiring the choke. I believe the idea is to connect it to a "key-on" constant 12v. I am not real good at wiring, so any suggestions on where to tap in would be appreciated.

Thanks

Maybe the fast idle switch wiring will work

The DFEV doesn't have a place to hook up the vacuum operated fast idle thingy, so maybe that now unused wiring will work. I will see if it has power with the key on.

Fast idle looks good for this purpose

The wiring for the retired fast idle switch on the firewall has 12v with key-on and 0v (zero) with the key-off, so I guess that will work for me.

I will need to get a plug for the manifold port for this switch, just stuck a bolt in the end of it for now. If the new carb works out I can remove the switch and plumbing.

Hey! It starts!

Well, it runs. Now to see if I can get it to idle. :)

Runs a lot better

I think this was $325 well spent. The new DFEV is noticeably smoother under way. I still have to try to dial it in a bit, but I am happy.

DFEV installed

I was going to try to use the factory air cleaner to maintain all the connections for various hoses, but the factory unit won't fit the DFEV. It is really close to being a good fit, but I would need to do a little grinding. I decided to use the small chrome filter that came with the kit and sort out the hoses later.

DFEV_installed.jpg

I need to trim my electric choke wire too. I made it long so I could try different routes. Now that I have it where I want it, the wire is way too long. You can see it coiled up in the background. :(

My first drive was brief and I was pretty impressed. It is warmer today and I drove it a bit farther and it tends to stall out when taking off form a stop. It doesn't die, but it really wants to.

Back