Electric fuel pump relay and wiring

DanielForest

True Classic
Hi,

I want to do it right. I'm running electrical fuel pump for awhile but they always died on me... at the wrong time.

I got myself a new Facet cube, a used Ford inertia switch and a plastic box to fit the relay and fuses. Relay is a used one from an X19.

From all the discussions I followed in the past, I draw this schematic of what should be my wiring. Feel free to correct me... and excuse my poor handwriting. I'm much better in typing! So I should resume what is there:
-from terminal 86 (trigger) it goes to the coil. I put a 1amp fuse there, but I'm not sure it is needed. Better be safe...
-terminal 85 will be grounded
-terminal 30 is for the power. It goes thru a 15 amps fuse, then to the alternator battery post.
-terminal 87 should be related to the inertia switch (kill switch) which have a white and an green/yellow wire (ford). I'm guessing the white is plug to the terminal while the green/yellow will have a 3 amp fuse (overkill?) before reaching the fuel pump. Then the fuel pump is grounded.

For those who are more knowledgeable about electricity than me (probably most members) I'm looking for feedback before I do something silly and need to buy anoter fuel pump... 🥵 (special emoji, just in case Carl is still reading...🤪), Hussein is much better than me in drawing circuits or parts diagrams...

20200523_220319.jpg

Hi,

I want to do it right. I'm running electrical fuel pump for awhile but they always died on me... at the wrong time.

I got myself a new Facet cube, a used Ford inertia switch and a plastic box to fit the relay and fuses. Relay is a used one from an X19.

From all the discussions I followed in the past, I draw this schematic of what should be my wiring. Feel free to correct me... and excuse my poor handwriting. I'm much better in typing! So I should resume what is there:
-from terminal 86 (trigger) it goes to the coil. I put a 1amp fuse there, but I'm not sure it is needed. Better be safe...
-terminal 85 will be grounded
-terminal 30 is for the power. It goes thru a 15 amps fuse, then to the alternator battery post.
-terminal 87 should be related to the inertia switch (kill switch) which have a white and an green/yellow wire (ford). I'm guessing the white is plug to the terminal while the green/yellow will have a 3 amp fuse (overkill?) before reaching the fuel pump. Then the fuel pump is grounded.

For those who are more knowledgeable about electricity than me (probably most members) I'm looking for feedback before I do something silly and need to buy anoter fuel pump... 🥵 (special emoji, just in case Carl is still reading...🤪), Hussein is much better than me in drawing circuits or parts diagrams...

View attachment 32438

My 2 cents:

I would have the inertia switch interupt the ground circuit from 85.
86 is switched power, you are bring that from the coil connection? I would get a different supply, as voltage drop to the coil will affect your spark.
87 should just be power output to coil, no fuse.

No point having a 3a fuse on the output if you have a 1a fuse on the input. I would get rid of both. The feed to the coil is already fused. however I would look for a different switched power supply to avoid issues with voltage to the coil as I said above.

IMG_20200524_093115.jpg

Last edited:
From my similar post doing this to my 850...

Quirky Forum issue? I posted this 9 hours ago, but it didn't show up when looking at this thread just now. I logged in to re-post the info, & my previous post suddenly appeared at the bottom of the page in a dialogue box, as if still waiting to be posted. I hit "Post Reply" & now it shows - just like it did 9 hours earlier. Wth?

Thanks! I was not that far....
Any reason to chose the starter instead of the alternator for the power feed other than physical proximity?

Jeff, it is often happening to me that I wrote a post but didn't hit the reply button. (Becoming older?) To discover my post, a day or 2 later. Sometimes, other members already replied much more intelligent comments, so I delete my post.... Glad you re-post yours!

Now I just need to hone my crimpling skills.

Last edited:
Back