Electric Window Conversion

I also came across another old thread about installing power windows. I'm sure there are many more but I happened to see this one. Not a ton of new info but it may benefit someone:

It mentions difficulty with installing the wires, switches, etc, but I can't see how that should be much of an issue. There are at least two approaches; use all factory components to replicate the OEM version, or use aftermarket bits and do a custom install. Either way shouldn't be hard.

I've never had the door panels off my 85 to see which type they are. I only know they work, aside from the driver's side switch being intermittent. Opened it and I see why, it needs to be rebuilt. So instead I just swapped it with the passenger's side switch for now. One of these days I'll have to pull the door panels off to see what's in there.

I've never had the door panels off my 85 to see which type they are. I only know they work, aside from the driver's side switch being intermittent. Opened it and I see why, it needs to be rebuilt. So instead I just swapped it with the passenger's side switch for now. One of these days I'll have to pull the door panels off to see what's in there.
Do your door cards have plugged access holes for the emergency winder? If not, you probably have the later Bosch units. Of course, my 85 had an interior makeover and the PO used later door cards. I thought my 85 had Bosch units until I pulled the cards to replace a lift. Surprise!! :p So yes, pull your cards before you start buying parts. I have about 5-6 Bosch spares now, but I do have an 86 that can use them eventually.

Do your door cards have plugged access holes for the emergency winder? If not, you probably have the later Bosch units. Of course, my 85 had an interior makeover and the PO used later door cards. I thought my 85 had Bosch units until I pulled the cards to replace a lift. Surprise!! :p So yes, pull your cards before you start buying parts. I have about 5-6 Bosch spares now, but I do have an 86 that can use them eventually.
Interesting, I had the plugged access hole on my '83, '84 and my current '86. I think they all had the Bosch spirex cable drive. I can't say for sure on the '83 and '84 but I'm positive that my "86 has the Bosch system and the plug. I still have a couple of the cranks laying around. All of these were bought new so no previous owners.

Interesting, I had the plugged access hole on my '83, '84 and my current '86. I think they all had the Bosch spirex cable drive. I can't say for sure on the '83 and '84 but I'm positive that my "86 has the Bosch system and the plug. I still have a couple of the cranks laying around. All of these were bought new so no previous owners.
Hi Brad,

That is interesting that your 86 has the access holes. I bought a set of proper cards from MWB over the winter. I bet your 83 and 84 had the cable driven system. Your 86 "should" have the Bosch drives.

My 85's passenger window works intermittently. I had to cut a slit into my door card to access the emergency mechanism. Otherwise I would have had to pull the card whenever the window decided to stop working. It usually sticks in the up position and if I use the crank to lower it an inch the motor works again. If you want to get rid of an emergency crank, let me know. A spare might be nice to have. :)

I just thought of something, all of them had/have a leather interior. Maybe all of the leather door cards had the plug. I never have tried to use the crank on any of them. One of these days I may have to pop the plug off and take a look - it may go to nowhere..

Do your door cards have plugged access holes for the emergency winder?
I'll have to go out and look, I don't remember if they do or not. Keep in mind I haven't driven that car in over a year. It is in line for a complete custom mod job so it's off the road until then.

I don't think it requires much. I will update this post when I get a chance to get mine installed next week, but at this point it appears that simply removing the old regulator, cables etc. and "POSSIBLY" drilling two mounting holes for the newer bosch system is about it. Again, I'll update next week with pictures.
I don't think it requires much. I will update this post when I get a chance to get mine installed next week, but at this point it appears that simply removing the old regulator, cables etc. and "POSSIBLY" drilling two mounting holes for the newer bosch system is about it. Again, I'll update next week with pictures.

Warrenpeace Hi,

1982 X 1/9 owner with ideas of replacing frustrating cable winder with Bosch system, bought from Midwest FIAT or elsewhere.
Was wondering how you went with installation and drilling two mounting holes. Would welcome any suggestions and pics if you have some.

Many thanks

Mike. milan1951

Ill be doing this conversion very soon, seems very straight forward but biggest issue is the glass holders are different so swapping them over seems to be biggest hurdle, having said that cable install is possible also secret is to keep everything tight and routed while you route the cables

I got all my wiring ran and have removed all the parts from my parts car. Just haven't had time to finish the install yet. Will definitely get some pictures and notes added when I have the chance to finish.

Ill be doing this conversion very soon, seems very straight forward but biggest issue is the glass holders are different so swapping them over seems to be biggest hurdle, having said that cable install is possible also secret is to keep everything tight and routed while you route the cables

Are you talking about the long metal bracket that clamps to the bottom of the window glass? How does one remove that from the window? The screw for the bump stop broke off in the hole and I don't want to drill it out with the window glass still in there.

i completed my install sadly i didnt take pictures but it was so damn easy, i basically drilled 2 new holes (i had someone cut me these panels from a later model door as a template so i knew exactly where to drill

i also sourced later model windows with correct metal bracket so i changed them over also'to make my job easier

installed regulator and connected up the wires ( my 82 X19 had provision already for all electric windows wires and power window switches, installed relay into my fuse box and have perfect electric windows and tossed all that messy cable in the bin

i completed my install sadly i didnt take pictures but it was so damn easy, i basically drilled 2 new holes (i had someone cut me these panels from a later model door as a template so i knew exactly where to drill

i also sourced later model windows with correct metal bracket so i changed them over also'to make my job easier

installed regulator and connected up the wires ( my 82 X19 had provision already for all electric windows wires and power window switches, installed relay into my fuse box and have perfect electric windows and tossed all that messy cable in the bin
Cool. It may be more involved converting a ’74, but if I came across a pair of newer doors, it’s good to know anything’s possible. I also have space behind the shifter for switches.

Cool. It may be more involved converting a ’74, but if I came across a pair of newer doors, it’s good to know anything’s possible. I also have space behind the shifter for switches.

It will definitely be a more involved install.

You can likely use your existing doors, there are surprisingly few fasteners required for the electric lifts. The question is did they make any other changes to the glass guidance features or other subtleties.

The additional electrical load will tax your low amperage alternator and likely some of the other electrical lines leading to and fro. Something like this is for well after the rest of the car is sorted. This is part of an upgrade path you will need to plan for with improvements in much of the electrical system.

It will definitely be a more involved install.

You can likely use your existing doors, there are surprisingly few fasteners required for the electric lifts. The question is did they make any other changes to the glass guidance features or other subtleties.

The additional electrical load will tax your low amperage alternator and likely some of the other electrical lines leading to and fro. Something like this is for well after the rest of the car is sorted. This is part of an upgrade path you will need to plan for with improvements in much of the electrical system.
Exactly - this question was inspired by watching Motertrend TV the other day and someone doing the same to a 70’s auto. It’s on the ‘well down the road’ option, but if I had to replace a door due to rust, then it’s thinking all options in advance...

Back