Electric X19

Andrew Coles

Say no to rice
Yesterday I drove an electric X19, so I thought I would post some pics and my thoughts on this brilliant little car :)

The car was built by Edward Booth, who lives down at Goolwa in South Australia. My Dad and I first met Edward when he came to have a look at my X19 and appraise its suitibility for transformation into an electric car. As it turns out, X19s are pretty much perfect for this - small engine compartment and big boots at the front and rear for batteries. In addition, the brakes are non-servo operated anyway so even without the vaccum provided by the conventional engine you still have full braking power.

Next thing we hear Edward had purchased a 1982 X19 and had nearly finished the car. Apparently you can purchase the engine and battery packs from the states and fit them into whatever you like, however I understand it is still a very involved process.

Electric1.jpg

Electric2.jpg

So, whats is like to drive? Well the first step is to turn the key like normal until a beeping sound comes on. From here you select second gear (the electric engine is running though a stock 5sp transmission), ease the accelerator on and away you go. You dont need the clutch for any of this and it feels weird selecting a gear without the clutch. You wait for the crunch but it never comes. Edward tells me that he doesnt use 1st as the engine provides too much torque for 1st gear to handle.

Driving is a really weird sensation, but you soon get used to it. Its just like driving a normal X19, except theres no real sound. You can hear the electric engine whining as you build up speed and revs and its all very smooth. You can change gears if you feel like it, but theres no huge need for it. Clutch in, change gear, clutch out but you never need to match the revs with the throttle because the engine stops as soon as you remove your foot. Its very smooth.

We're motoring along in 4th gear at 50kmh and come up to a rail crossing with a stop sign. Normally at this point you might be going down through the gears, or at very least clutching in so the engine doesnt stall. But not in Ted's X19 - you just take your foot off the throttle and brake down to a stop - no clutch needed. To take off you just apply more throttle until you slowly start rolling away. You dont even bother changing down gears as takeoff in 4th is almost as good as takeoff in 2nd.

The engine produces 65kw, which is quite a bit more than the 65hp a stock X19 produces. It also has infinetly more torque so in theory it should be faster, however the weight of the batteries do come into play. It certainly feels much peppier than a stock X19, however Im pretty sure this is due to the torque. Im not sure what the electric X19 weighs, but I imagine the extra weight plus more power would mean it would probably be compareably quick to a stock X19.

Electric6.jpg

Electric3.jpg

Electric4.jpg

Edwards X19 has a range of about 60-80km. The car has seen 130kmh, and Edward thinks it would probably be good for around 150kmh. The car has 10 lead/acid 12volt batteries that take around 5 hours to charge from flat. As already mentioned the 120volt Wemoco electric motor runs through the standard X19 5sp gearbox and Edward thinks it probably costs around 1.5c/km to run paying normal power prices. However Edwards electricity comes from a bank of solar panels on his roof, so not only does this X19 cost zero dollars to run it is also totally green - there are absolutely no fossil fuels used when driving this X19. What more could you want!

Electric8.jpg

Electric7.jpg

The car is charged from a conventional power socket which is rather ingeniously located where the normal fuel filler goes. The car does have an exhaust pipe looking thing, however this is actually a vent for the batteries.

So yea, theres just some quick thoughts from driving this great little car. At some stage I'll write it up better for a club magazine article, but thought you guys and gals might be interested :)

Wonderful

According to Japanese newspaper, TOYOTA will be developing solar panels which makes a car run electric motor.
It's almost time to end internal-combustion engin. right?

Provokes some random musings...Why have a transmission/clutch at all?

A DC electric motor has a really simple :p torque curve, and is happy across a very wide rev range. I expect that the transmission is there mostly because it's an easy way of getting the motor output to the wheels: CV joints and differential all good to go, properly integrated with the suspension/wheels out of the box.

Also kind of fun to consider that the front/rear weight ratio can be adjusted by moving batteries between the two trunks.

There's going to be a good-sized empty space behind the driver's seat where the fuel tank used to live. Maybe be able to get a few inched more legroom?

Last edited:
Very cool...

It would be good to know just how much everything weighs. The idea is sound, and the body of the X would look good with some solar panels on it as well.

The weight distribution probably isn't ideal, but could be tweaked. I'm thinking a spare in the front trunk floor and a custom built battery pack that slides up behind the seats, or from behind, to keep the weight in the center of the car. Just thinkin'...:cool:

Thank you for posting

it is a nice project, and YES i will like to have it .
but i prefer to wait untill i can use the car more then 150 km or so :D
maybe technology will surprise us and will evolve to a nice small engine with lots of HP and running on a small 1.5V batteries :)
i read your post 5 times now, I like it .
please congrat your friend for this project.

batteries is not any problem, but the price is.
damn ****ers in the oil business hold all the patents.

batteries that run a car for 400 to 600 miles are ready. (lithium-ion)
they are smal and light....

Toshiba promises 'energy solution' with nearly full recharge in 5 minutes

Nice to read if you have the same plans....
http://jerryrig.com/convert/

Michelin’s Active Wheel, an in-wheel system comprising a brake, 30 kW (40 hp) electric traction motor and electric suspension motor system..

Lotus is selling conversion pakkets, for the elise, and the volkswagen golf....

But i am adicted to the sound of a petrol car.............:D

Nice project and some points

It does seem to be well executed. I solute the builder.
In years to come an heir to the internal combustion engine will be born.
That would be a very sad day for me regardless of the good green ecology benefits.
I would miss the sound and smell, the mastery of the pedals, the nature of the drive.
That would be a sad happy day.
I would like to keep my gas X1/9, if I may, for the rest of my days.
Good job and thanks for posting.

Interesting write up..

I sort of remember other electric X cars that have been built. This car turned out quite nice.

Break out those note book batteries (Lithium Ion), these are used in the Tesla. Except for cost and battery array management, these are a viable solution. Batteries have always been a problem in electric cars since the turn of the 20th century. Electric cars goes back a long ways in automotive history.

DC motors can have 100% torque at zero rpm which is why it has the off line performance the do.

I love it!

I have seen a number of electric Fiats (Mark Mongillo's FIAMP 600 from Mira comes to mind) and a few electric Xs in pics on this forum over the years, I do have to say the idea appeals to me a great deal, I have contemplated whether it would be something I might try one day. I wonder whether a gas powered secondary (like a honda electric generator type gas engine) installed to run only as-needed for boosting range would be worth incorporating into such a design... Just random thougths... It looks great btw I like the electric X idea.. I would have to still own a gas X though for those times when I could take it out on a day road trip and enjoy the sound of high Italian revs, the smell of "fake leather, leaking fuel, gear oil" ;) but to commute around town in, I would absolutely love an electric X

Yeah, having an electric car for daily commuting (and ideally solar panel charged), then a gasoline-powered car for weekend fun -- would be great.

I'd hate to see the internal combustion engine completely disappear though. How about electric cars for commuting and H2 powered IC-engines for long trips?

-ryan

Can I use this for FLU magazine?

I would love to run this story in the RICAMBI with your permission. Please let me know when you have the story finished and I will slot a place for it in the magazine.
Thanks
Brett

Great post and some food for thought..

I run Li-po batteries in my model planes, have a look at the outputs. I would say in the near future we will run batteries like these.

However they can sometimes catch on fire.

11.1V 2100mAh

Continuous Current : 63A
Maximum Current : 105A
Size :&nbsp104 x 35 x 30mm
Weight : 192g

Yelll_Ooooo

Just out of curiosity, I ran the numbers posted. In theory that battery can be emptied in 19.8mS, that is a LOT of power for a very short time. A few of these cells working together can run the starter on an X easy.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I run Li-po batteries in my model planes, have a look at the outputs. I would say in the near future we will run batteries like these.

11.1V 2100mAh

Trying to deside to rebuild my or convert to electric

How much $ to convert or do a top down rebuild and switch to FI on my 79 x ?

11.1V 2100mAh

Right, they use lithium-ion polymer (LiPo) batteries in the high-performance R/C cars now too. Big change from the days of nickel-cadmium (NiCd) batteries. I know LiPo batteries hold more energy than nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, but how do they compare to lithium ion (Li-ion)?

I Hate It

Seems to me like a waste of what was an X in good shape.

I suppose as a hobby project it's OK, and the car's owner is certainly entitled to do whatever he wants to it, but make no mistake here, this execution while it appears to have been done well, is no more sophisticated than a 30 year old golf cart.

The ten Deka Intimidator AGM batteries installed retail at over $175 each and weigh 65 lbs each. That's 650 pounds of "road-hugging weight" placed at the extremities of the car, and that's gotta be bad for handling and response. [Not having any details on the net weight gain/loss on the project.]

You might want to fact-check the power rating. The installed motor appears to be an Advanced Motors and Drives DC power unit, and according to their web site the most powerful standard traction motor unit they offer is rated at 35HP (26kw).
http://www.adcmotors.com/public_site/products/

BrettM, no probs about the article I will post it up here once Ive done it.

I mean dont get me wrong, I probably wouldnt build something like this (Im going with twin 40's to use even more fuel hehe) but I think its really cool. Ive driven a few stock 1300 and 1500 X's and this thing certainly feels faster, around town anyway. Sure the weight and its location is an issue, but its not a racecar and you cant feel it in everyday driving. Its certainly much much easier to drive than a normal X19 and you never get any of the problems that you normally get when you keep an X in the suburbs in Australia (heat soak, overheating etc). As a sports/race car it wouldnt be much good, but as a commuter its brilliant. And charging it off the mains it will only cost you less than 2c a km to drive.

Intetesting to read that the Tesla uses Lithiom Ion batteries like laptops. The big problem theyve had though is cooling, apparently the battery cooling system on the Tesla is quite complicated. And that thing will do 0-100kmh in under 4 sec hehe

Electric motors are rated at their continuous current rating. They can usually be pushed above that for some number of seconds. I think I read somewhere that the peak is usually about 3 times the continuous rating. Usually controllers for electric cars take this into account. Could be that someone was doing the math for us.

I agree though, I plan to do an electric conversion sometime but I would not do it with my X.

David.

You might want to fact-check the power rating. The installed motor appears to be an Advanced Motors and Drives DC power unit, and according to their web site the most powerful standard traction motor unit they offer is rated at 35HP (26kw).
http://www.adcmotors.com/public_site/products/

Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer use basically the same chemistry... (FYI, the full name for LiPo batteries is Lithium ion polymer). The basic difference is that instead of the electrolyte being held in a liquid (in Lithium-ion), the LiPo uses a solid polymer (hence the name).

Technical opinion... I'm somewhat familiar with Lithium cells... I've done some contract design work on battery maintenance systems for them, and I also use them in R/C aircraft (hobby)... These things are not yet ready for prime time... by that I mean in Joe and Jane Sixpack's electric car... they are phenominally expensive (relative to other technologies) and they can be unstable if not treated with care... (think plasma fire if used in large capacity batteries of cells).

I don't doubt that there will be *cost effective* electric cars in our future, but it will still be awhile...

Back