Electrical and gauges issues

Thanks Karl, that is what I was referring to but did not have a good link to show. Very helpful to have examples to see. ;)

Hi, a small update.
Went to a mechanic i've never worked with, deals with italian classics and surprisingly just bought a X1/9...
He already started adding relays to the headlamps, did a very clean and nice job, with attention to small details just how i like it.
I consulted him regards all the problems, he suggested all of your advices 1 by 1.
He actually didn't knew that there is a ready to install gear reduction starter for the X and highly recommended that i'll buy one.
Says that to fix the old one could be cheap and could go up around 100-150$ for a complete rebuild.
Taking all of that in mind, i decided to order the gear reduction one. Once i'll come back, i'll take the car to him to this matter,
plus adding relays to the switch and probably headlamps, and complete timing and other belts.
This car was sitting in the garage for too long, i can't find my time to move on with it and of cource missing not little of mechanic knowledge.
Just the other day i took it for a ride, found out the radiator fans don't work - a burnt fuse. So something is obviously not stable in there.
Look at the fuse bypass for the light unit for e.g.

20190413_171317.jpg

Other pic shows the ignition switch connector, can you guess what's that white loos connector? could'nt find it's female part.
When unplug the main connector, i can't see any cooked or burnt wires, seems OK.

20190413_170952.jpg

That white connector is for dinger that reminds you the keys are in the ignition when the door is opened.

Reactions: 81x
Sounds like that mechanic is familiar with the usual problems on these cars. Seems like a good plan to have him help out; it will be nice to get everything sorted so you can enjoy the car. Ask if by chance he has participated on Xweb...there is another member from Israel with a X1/9, but I don't recall the user name. Maybe him?

Other pic shows the ignition switch connector
In your picture (see below), the one I circled in red is the one that usually gets overheated. It carries the main "hot" (brown) wire with most of the electrical 'load' going through these wires. From here yours looks good, but if you have not checked this one yet, pull it apart and look inside. Clean the contacts, and add a little electrical contact lube. That brown wire (blue arrow) is the one that can benefit from a supplementary lead to help carry the load. It is what is referred to as "the brown wire mod" on the forum. There are plenty of posts that explain it, and I think there is a tutorial on it under the Wiki section (maybe someone has links?). However in my opinion it is better to reduce the load going through all of this (these wires, connectors, ignition switch, etc) by adding the extra relays to all of the major components (as described earlier in this thread), rather than to add an extra brown wire. The added relays will carry the load instead of the ignition switch (and related wires), and provide more current to those components (that the relays are added to). Things like headlights, heater blower motor, windshield wipers, engine starter solenoid, radiator cooling fans, power windows, etc, are all components that draw a lot of current (high loads), and the ignition switch supplies it. Hope all of that made sense, please ask if not.

20190413_170952.jpg

Made a lot of sense, thank you.
All the info i gathered adds up to this, relays to everywhere :)
I've disconnected that connector, seems tight and clean. I'll give it an extra clean with contact spray.

About my mechanic, seems to me less than a forums/online community person, works alone, low profile.
You're right about him and that move, looks like a one stop shop,
right now i'm in a position that i don't trust my X for longer drive than my close area and have to get it done.

I believe you refer to Hertzel (i don't know him in person, only through xweb searches), my bet is that the guy bought the car from Hertzel,
seems the same from the few pics i saw here and there. And, you know, we have here maby 10-12 X's so it's a safe bet...
Saw it on Friday in his shop, nice car that got a good home.

Thanks again to all of you.

Back