Electrical System Upgrade List

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I saw the following comment by @Bobkat in another thread, "I wired the Italian right out of it and did every mod possible." He was referring to doing some electrical mods to his X, which brought this subject to my mind. Over the years we've discussed lots of excellent ways to improve the X1/9's electrical system - BWM, relays, ground lugs, heavy gauge wires, etc. So throughout my file of X1/9 notes I have several write ups and diagrams saved. However I need to organize all of it and see what the final "to do list" will be for the whole electrical system.

Off the top of my head here is a list of the things that can be done to improve the X's electrical system. The idea here is not to explain how each mod is performed, but more a list of possible mods that one might consider doing to their X. I don't recall this already being done somewhere (in a single location), if so I apologize for the redundancy (and direct me to it). Otherwise please add to, subtract from, or alter this to see if we can make a comprehensive list of possible X electrical mods:

1) The "brown wire mod" (BWM). This term has been used to describe a few things. To me it is about adding a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse box input, providing a greater load capacity for everything in the fuse box. I've seen some also refer to adding another heavy gauge wire from there to the ignition switch. However it seems to me that would only allow more current to pass through the switch, which is already very overloaded. I believe it is better to reduce the load through the ignition switch by adding relays for the big power consumer components elsewhere. With that there shouldn't be a need to replace the lead to the switch (more on this later).
Speaking of the BWM, I believe the stock power wire feeding the fuse box differs on various years of X? I've never owned a 1300 X so cannot say for sure, but I think it has one small lead going to the fuse box. My '79 (1500) splits into three leads to the box, and my '86 has a different arrangement yet again. Anyone have more details on what years had what wires powering the fuse box?

2) Closely related to #1 is changing the cables from the alternator to the starter motor, and from the starter motor to the battery, with much heavier ones. Although the battery might be considered the primary power source, the alternator provides the electrical supply to the battery - via the starter motor. The stock cable between the alternator and starter is very undersized. The stock cable from the starter to the battery is better but it is also a much longer run, so it needs to be heavier. Improving these cables will allow the full charge from the alternator to reach the battery.

3) Adding auxiliary relays to power large load components. This involves building supplemental wire harnesses from a main power source (battery or alternator) to each of the items that draw a lot of current, with a relay triggered by the original circuit to that item. On the stock wiring harness these items are powered with wires that are not heavy enough to allow full current. Furthermore the circuits are run through the ignition switch (as I commented earlier), overloading the switch and further reducing current. This reduction in current causes the components to run slow or improperly (if at all). Thinking of the components that might benefit from this, electrical motors draw a heavy load. Plus a few other items, it's a long list:

Starter motor solenoid trigger - 1 relay.
Wiper motor - 2 relays.
HVAC blower motor - 2 or 3 relays (depending if it is a 2 or 3 speed unit).
Radiator cooling fan(s) - 1 or 2 relays (1 for each fan).
Power windows (if equipped) - 2 relays. Correction: 4 relays.
AC compressor clutch (if equipped) - 1 relay.
Headlights - 2 relays (low beam and high beam).
Headlight motors - 2 relays. [I've seen this mentioned but not sure if it helps over the stock relays].
?? what else, aftermarket sound system, additional driving lights, ??

That's a LOT of relays and extra wires. It should be noted that some components already have a relay in the stock wire harness/fuse box. But the gauge of the wires to/from those relays may not be sufficient. In these cases it isn't so much about adding the relay as it is changing the wires. But that isn't easy to do in the stock wire harness, so adding an auxiliary circuit with heavier wires and a new relay may be easier.

4) Improving ground connections. Every electrical component that has a power lead also has a ground lead, and both are equally important. So improving grounds will compliment the improved power supplies. Not to mention the stock grounding lugs tend to corrode. Cleaning and assuring that all of the "push-on" connectors are tight is a start. But I prefer to replace those "daisy" lugs and "push-on" connectors with a grounding bar and screw down connectors on each lead. Another good improvement is the ground straps between the battery and chassis, and the chassis and drivetrain. Same principle as we discussed with the power cables to the battery/alternator.

5) Repair and/or improve the electrical connector that goes to the ignition switch. This might sound a lot like the BWM but it isn't. The stock harness to the ignition switch has a 4-lead connector in a plastic housing, a few inches down from the switch. Due to the extremely high current loads placed on the ignition switch, this connection gets overloaded and melts the wires, connectors, and/or housing. Even if all of the other improvements are completed, a damaged connection here will still cause problems if not repaired.

6) Perhaps this should have been number one, but it really isn't a mod. Test and service the battery, alternator, and regulator to assure they are working correctly and in good shape. Some have improved the alternator by replacing it with a higher output unit. The GM alternator has been a popular mod for this.

7) The electrical load created by some components can be reduced by replacing the component itself with a lower current version. The most likely candidate here is light bulbs - especially the headlights. While adding relays to the headlights will improve the current supply to them, reducing the load with a different type of bulb is still a good idea (LED or HID have much lower loads). And those headlight relays will not have any effect on all of the other light bulbs on the car. They can be replaced with LED bulbs to significantly lower their demand. Furthermore, the improved lights (headlights and others) will significantly improve the illumination, making the car safer and more enjoyable.
Some other components that can be changed for a lower draw are a gear reduction starter, more efficient radiator cooling fans, others?

8) There are a couple of headlight related wiring mods that can be done to improve their functionality. They are separate unrelated items but close enough in nature - relative to the headlight switch operation. So I'll put both as one entry here on our master list: 1) The headlight door/pod function is a bit odd to accommodate a more European function, and US drivers may prefer to change how they behave - going up and down. For additional information see this thread [https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/headlight-motor-rewiring.8237/]. 2) The function of the parking lights is also odd on some years of X. That can also be changed. See this thread for more [https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....-parking-light-operation-whats-correct.33293/].

?? what else can we add to this list? Please add comments so that I can organize my files and prepare for the mods to my X's.

As we see there is a LOT of "Italian" that can be removed from the X's electrical system. I once joked it might be easier to scrap the entire stock wire harness and install a aftermarket "universal" harness kit. :D

Last edited:
You mention grounds. Specifically, make that a 4Ga Ground wire from the Battery Neg. terminal to the chassis. (pre-made foot-long cable assembly) Replacing the transmission ground wire (braided) is also a good idea as well. The ground connections in a stock X are sub-par.
Cleaning up and refurbishing ALL ground tree connections in the pods and engine compartment should also help.
Add a more robust +wire connection from the alternator to the battery. Normally it's OK, but the terminal connections sometimes deteriorates, which can affect battery charging. Insuring the connection integrity goes a long way.
The Veglia clock saps batteries low, -or dead over a several weeks time due to it's current draw when the car is off. Replace it with a low current clock, or disconnect it completely when the car is not in use for more than a few days.
Lamps - Replace them with LED's where ever possible. I did this on my 1986 X and it used 1/10th the current of the incandescents.
Ignition module. - Upgrade it to the modified version offered on this web site. Doing so takes 1/3rd the current to run the ignition with superior performance. Your coil will run much cooler as well.

It's a long-shot here, but upgrading the Car's harness from the old style springy fuse setup to the late model harness has it's own inherent benefits, though the relay upgrades you mention are still a big plus. The spring-style fuses have long been an issue with 1970's and early 1980's FIAT's.
Doing that is a fairly involved project but can be done over a weekend if organized properly. (I've done 3 cars so far) Upgrading the car's harness would also require upgrading all the center console switches, the dash headlight switch and the steering wheel (direction/Wiper) switches, so a project like this is not for the faint of heart. Also to note, the old style dash doesn't accommodate the later style fuse block without modification to the dash where the drop-down glove box is located, so keep that in mind if you ever consider doing it. Hangers for the fuse block must be added but can be done fairly easily but you would lose the glove box entirely unless you consider changing the dash to the late model.

Last edited:
This was my response to a new forum member some time ago.

I personally wouldn’t bother with the BWM, moving to relays and a new source of power (like an additional 10ga BWM to a sub panel) obviates the need for the BWM. Improving the existing power wire to the fuse box would also be a worthwhile upgrade.

The other element is the reduction of load on lighting circuits and other fixed loads that exist in the various systems such as the ignition module.i There are large reductions to be had in the lighting, everything else is incremental. Fan motors, lift motors, wiper motors etc really can’t be upgraded in any substantial way to reduce the load.

A few inaccuracies in the relay list: 4 relays for the power windows using the existing relay to provide power to them. A fan relays are a little questionable as the fan switches are not really a weak point. A number of items on your list are already relayed, AC, headlight motors. The primary load relays for the ignition switch would suffice for the various subsystems ie sound system and so on (at least three relays for On, Start, Accessory)

Your two posts are pretty comprehensive and appropriate. There are how tos for a number of them or others that are reasonably obvious but we know we all like how tos.

One suggestion to anyone looking to add relays, consider visiting a junkyard to get high quality micro relays which are available in huge numbers in most modern cars and generally crushed with the car. There are also custom relays in amongst these which can add safety features or broaden the capability of other existing systems, I will point to the VW relays for fuel pumps and the intermittent wiper relay which is programmable as examples of this. The modern relays take up much less room are reliable for a long time (my Hondas have 200k and 13 years of use with no dead relays). The relay bases can be had pretty cheaply and use common female 6mm hardware.

@bbrown and @kmead, both of you mentioned the ignition. When I first made the list I considered that but dismissed it. However after more thought the stock electronic ignition module (on FI cars) does draw a fair amount of juice. As Bob said, the upgrade to a GM module would help with that. [In my case it is being completely replaced by the aftermarket ECU and ignition.]

As I mentioned, some of the components I listed already have relays but the wiring gauge is not ideal. So rather than trying to rewire the stock harness it might be easier to add a supplemental relay with more appropriate gauge wires.

Karl, I had missed your post (as you linked) on this previously.
I've been thinking about micro relays Especially considering the sheer number of them that needs to be added and the space they occupy. But I've never dealt with micro relays. What more can you tell me about them?

I think I have another post that has a few more links to some of the many how tos people have shared here. I will try to dredge it up.

The micro relays are half the size of a regular relay but have similar amp capability and come in all types.

There is also the other variation of micro relays which are about 1/4 the size of a normal Bosch type relay.

They can be had in similar capabilities of other relays. the smaller ones have fewer options, they also use a smaller contact bascically the Weatherpack contacts. Littelfuse offers some great holders for them which can also integrate fuses. I intend to use two of those for doing my relays for the power windows per Bob Brown’s design.

4EF33E44-1AC3-4FAF-A21D-397F9D40D688.jpeg91F440A1-1817-4CB9-BFD4-9E1902B002B8.jpeg

Some of the Littelfuse parts to accommodate these relay form factors:

Last edited:
Thanks. That's what I need to look into, the holders and connections in addition to the relays themselves.

Since this is meant to be something of a comprehensive list of possible electrical mods, I've added a couple of headlight related wiring mods. They are two completely different things but both relate to the function of the lights so I put them together and edited the original post with "item # 8".

Not sure if this applicable to the NA cars or later cars in general....on my ’78 the headlight flash works on the Lo beams and not the Hi beams. I’ve checked the column switch connector and it’s wired from the factory that way. I’d like it to flash the Hi beams as every other cars does!

I saw the following comment by @Bobkat in another thread, "I wired the Italian right out of it and did every mod possible." He was referring to doing some electrical mods to his X, which brought this subject to my mind. Over the years we've discussed lots of excellent ways to improve the X1/9's electrical system - BWM, relays, ground lugs, heavy gauge wires, etc. So throughout my file of X1/9 notes I have several write ups and diagrams saved. However I need to organize all of it and see what the final "to do list" will be for the whole electrical system.

Off the top of my head here is a list of the things that can be done to improve the X's electrical system. The idea here is not to explain how each mod is performed, but more a list of possible mods that one might consider doing to their X. I don't recall this already being done somewhere (in a single location), if so I apologize for the redundancy (and direct me to it). Otherwise please add to, subtract from, or alter this to see if we can make a comprehensive list of possible X electrical mods:

1) The "brown wire mod" (BWM). This term has been used to describe a few things. To me it is about adding a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the fuse box input, providing a greater load capacity for everything in the fuse box. I've seen some also refer to adding another heavy gauge wire from there to the ignition switch. However it seems to me that would only allow more current to pass through the switch, which is already very overloaded. I believe it is better to reduce the load through the ignition switch by adding relays for the big power consumer components elsewhere. With that there shouldn't be a need to replace the lead to the switch (more on this later).
Speaking of the BWM, I believe the stock power wire feeding the fuse box differs on various years of X? I've never owned a 1300 X so cannot say for sure, but I think it has one small lead going to the fuse box. My '79 (1500) splits into three leads to the box, and my '86 has a different arrangement yet again. Anyone have more details on what years had what wires powering the fuse box?

2) Closely related to #1 is changing the cables from the alternator to the starter motor, and from the starter motor to the battery, with much heavier ones. Although the battery might be considered the primary power source, the alternator provides the electrical supply to the battery - via the starter motor. The stock cable between the alternator and starter is very undersized. The stock cable from the starter to the battery is better but it is also a much longer run, so it needs to be heavier. Improving these cables will allow the full charge from the alternator to reach the battery.

3) Adding auxiliary relays to power large load components. This involves building supplemental wire harnesses from a main power source (battery or alternator) to each of the items that draw a lot of current, with a relay triggered by the original circuit to that item. On the stock wiring harness these items are powered with wires that are not heavy enough to allow full current. Furthermore the circuits are run through the ignition switch (as I commented earlier), overloading the switch and further reducing current. This reduction in current causes the components to run slow or improperly (if at all). Thinking of the components that might benefit from this, electrical motors draw a heavy load. Plus a few other items, it's a long list:

Starter motor solenoid trigger - 1 relay.
Wiper motor - 2 relays.
HVAC blower motor - 2 or 3 relays (depending if it is a 2 or 3 speed unit).
Radiator cooling fan(s) - 1 or 2 relays (1 for each fan).
Power windows (if equipped) - 2 relays. Correction: 4 relays.
AC compressor clutch (if equipped) - 1 relay.
Headlights - 2 relays (low beam and high beam).
Headlight motors - 2 relays. [I've seen this mentioned but not sure if it helps over the stock relays].
?? what else, aftermarket sound system, additional driving lights, ??

That's a LOT of relays and extra wires. It should be noted that some components already have a relay in the stock wire harness/fuse box. But the gauge of the wires to/from those relays may not be sufficient. In these cases it isn't so much about adding the relay as it is changing the wires. But that isn't easy to do in the stock wire harness, so adding an auxiliary circuit with heavier wires and a new relay may be easier.

4) Improving ground connections. Every electrical component that has a power lead also has a ground lead, and both are equally important. So improving grounds will compliment the improved power supplies. Not to mention the stock grounding lugs tend to corrode. Cleaning and assuring that all of the "push-on" connectors are tight is a start. But I prefer to replace those "daisy" lugs and "push-on" connectors with a grounding bar and screw down connectors on each lead. Another good improvement is the ground straps between the battery and chassis, and the chassis and drivetrain. Same principle as we discussed with the power cables to the battery/alternator.

5) Repair and/or improve the electrical connector that goes to the ignition switch. This might sound a lot like the BWM but it isn't. The stock harness to the ignition switch has a 4-lead connector in a plastic housing, a few inches down from the switch. Due to the extremely high current loads placed on the ignition switch, this connection gets overloaded and melts the wires, connectors, and/or housing. Even if all of the other improvements are completed, a damaged connection here will still cause problems if not repaired.

6) Perhaps this should have been number one, but it really isn't a mod. Test and service the battery, alternator, and regulator to assure they are working correctly and in good shape. Some have improved the alternator by replacing it with a higher output unit. The GM alternator has been a popular mod for this.

7) The electrical load created by some components can be reduced by replacing the component itself with a lower current version. The most likely candidate here is light bulbs - especially the headlights. While adding relays to the headlights will improve the current supply to them, reducing the load with a different type of bulb is still a good idea (LED or HID have much lower loads). And those headlight relays will not have any effect on all of the other light bulbs on the car. They can be replaced with LED bulbs to significantly lower their demand. Furthermore, the improved lights (headlights and others) will significantly improve the illumination, making the car safer and more enjoyable.
Some other components that can be changed for a lower draw are a gear reduction starter, more efficient radiator cooling fans, others?

8) There are a couple of headlight related wiring mods that can be done to improve their functionality. They are separate unrelated items but close enough in nature - relative to the headlight switch operation. So I'll put both as one entry here on our master list: 1) The headlight door/pod function is a bit odd to accommodate a more European function, and US drivers may prefer to change how they behave - going up and down. For additional information see this thread [https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/headlight-motor-rewiring.8237/]. 2) The function of the parking lights is also odd on some years of X. That can also be changed. See this thread for more [https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....-parking-light-operation-whats-correct.33293/].

?? what else can we add to this list? Please add comments so that I can organize my files and prepare for the mods to my X's.

As we see there is a LOT of "Italian" that can be removed from the X's electrical system. I once joked it might be easier to scrap the entire stock wire harness and install a aftermarket "universal" harness kit. :D
Great write up on this topic Doc

A link to the Electrical related threads in the BOX would be a good addition to this thread. :)
Thanks Jim. :)

I intended this thread to be a reference to the various things that might be done - if needed/desired. Not a "how to" to actually do them. So by looking at the threads in the "Box" that Jim links anyone can get more info about doing the mods. ;)

I just looked at the "Box" list and there are several more threads that we should add. For starters, how about the two I linked in item #8 in my first post - regarding the headlight functions? Also I don't see any of the great "BWM" threads in the Box (I need to dig those up myself).

A number of items on your list are already relayed, AC, headlight motors.
I just noticed a nice example of why I included some components that are already "relayed" to the list of things to add relays to. @myronx19 demonstrated it in this post: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/cooling-fan-relay-mod-do-it-now.27764/

He added a supplemental power circuit and relay to the radiator cooling fan. Although it already has a relay in the stock harness, the factory wire gauges are not sufficient to fully transfer the current required by the fan's load. So as I mentioned previously, it isn't so much that it needs a relay as it needs heavier wires - which is much easier to do by adding a new relay/circuit rather than try to rewire the stock harness. Here is what he said about the result:
"THE FAN MOD IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap! I've never had the fan run so fast, and for so short! It really moves air now, and it's super quick!! It's 1000000% noticeable!"
Later posts in that thread discuss it more.

Last edited:
I just noticed a nice example of why I included some components that are already "relayed" to the list of things to add relays to. @myronx19 demonstrated it in this post: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/cooling-fan-relay-mod-do-it-now.27764/

He added a supplemental power circuit and relay to the radiator cooling fan. Although it already has a relay in the stock harness, the factory wire gauges are not sufficient to fully transfer the current required by the fan's load. So as I mentioned previously, it isn't so much that it needs a relay as it needs heavier wires - which is much easier to do by adding a new relay/circuit rather than try to rewire the stock harness. Here is what he said about the result:
"THE FAN MOD IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap! I've never had the fan run so fast, and for so short! It really moves air now, and it's super quick!! It's 1000000% noticeable!
Later posts in that thread discuss it more.

There is truth in this but at the same time some of this is the result of just moving stuff around and making more power available to other parts of the system. Breaking the system into different chunks

By and large the wires in the X harness are adequate to the job, some may be near the edge but not out of range. Even back then they were playing the weight game in addition to the cost game, copper has never been exactly cheap. I have so far not run across a single wire on an X that has melted due to the designed load. I have seen wires that have failed due to damage, rodents and connectors where had been spindled and mutilated in use.

All things are a compromise but having played with creating my own harnesses for tractors and redesigning small circuits in my cars I have had good luck with properly sizing my wiring to the load and an acceptable drop over the length of the wire. I feel good with 2% loss over the length from the source to the load.

There are guides for wire gauge available as well as online wire gauge calculators which figure length and drop of amperage.

I have used this one to good effect: https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html It is but one of many.

Bob Brown would be the one among those on the forum who could speak to the gauge issue, particularly as he has the whole lot mounted on a board and can see the length and the gauge of the wires relative to the load.

Reducing the loads as well as better supplying them are the primary keys to improving the performance of the system and maximizing the performance of what is attachéd to it.

some of this is the result of just moving stuff around and making more power available to other parts of the system
Not sure what you mean by that?

Something I find interesting about those wire gauge charts is the amount of diversity between them. I have half a dozen of them bookmarked and they all say differently. :oops: But they are good guides to follow.

Part of the problem with the X's electrical system may be age related; while the wire gauge might have been sufficient when the car was built, it may no longer offer the current capability it once did due to a number of reasons. But I agree the stock wires don't tend to melt from overheating very often, so they aren't too far undersized. However that's not to say some components won't perform better when allowed more current to reach them. And that may be a function of the component's resistance increasing with age as much as anything. Just take a look at what a improved current supply does for the wiper motor, or blower motor, and in the example noted, the cooling fan motor. Is this a bit of a "patch job"? Sure, but much easier than rewiring existing circuits or replacing components.

I also agree with the approach of lowering the draw from a component rather than increasing the current to it. However that isn't always possibly - at least not practically.

In general I'm not saying any/all of these electrical mods must be done. This is merely a list of potential upgrades should someone wish to try them.

Last edited:
I ran across another great post by @kmead on this subject:

This brings up a point I have regarding the "BWM". I've always considered the principle aspect of it to be increasing the power (current) capacity from the battery to the power box (fuse/relay panel). A secondary aspect for some others seems to be increasing the capacity from there to the ignition switch. However as has been stated by Karl, myself and several others, that doesn't make a lot of sense. It would only increase the current passing through the ignition switch, which is already highly overloaded. So I view the BWM as only the first aspect, with lowering the load to the ignition switch the second component.

Last edited:
It's a long-shot here, but upgrading the Car's harness from the old style springy fuse setup to the late model harness has it's own inherent benefits, though the relay upgrades you mention are still a big plus. The spring-style fuses have long been an issue with 1970's and early 1980's FIAT's.
Doing that is a fairly involved project but can be done over a weekend if organized properly. (I've done 3 cars so far) Upgrading the car's harness would also require upgrading all the center console switches, the dash headlight switch and the steering wheel (direction/Wiper) switches, so a project like this is not for the faint of heart. Also to note, the old style dash doesn't accommodate the later style fuse block without modification to the dash where the drop-down glove box is located, so keep that in mind if you ever consider doing it. Hangers for the fuse block must be added but can be done fairly easily but you would lose the glove box entirely unless you consider changing the dash to the late model.

I have a couple of these fuse blocks that I will eventually get around to replacing the springy fuse setup with. I think one will do it it will just take some time to make sure everything is accounted for. The size and shape is almost a drop in. For most of the other modifications I have a second fuse/relay box under the hood. Not even sure where these are from but if you google 41.3722 you will find them.

1621810768429.png

I have a couple of these fuse blocks that I will eventually get around to replacing the springy fuse setup with. I think one will do it it will just take some time to make sure everything is accounted for. The size and shape is almost a drop in. For most of the other modifications I have a second fuse/relay box under the hood. Not even sure where these are from but if you google 41.3722 you will find them.

View attachment 47452
I think that is one of the two versions available for Ladas, they have a 7 circuit one as well.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by that?

Something I find interesting about those wire gauge charts is the amount of diversity between them. I have half a dozen of them bookmarked and they all say differently. :oops: But they are good guides to follow.

Part of the problem with the X's electrical system may be age related; while the wire gauge might have been sufficient when the car was built, it may no longer offer the current capability it once did due to a number of reasons. But I agree the stock wires don't tend to melt from overheating very often, so they aren't too far undersized. However that's not to say some components won't perform better when allowed more current to reach them. And that may be a function of the component's resistance increasing with age as much as anything. Just take a look at what a improved current supply does for the wiper motor, or blower motor, and in the example noted, the cooling fan motor. Is this a bit of a "patch job"? Sure, but much easier than rewiring existing circuits or replacing components.

I also agree with the approach of lowering the draw from a component rather than increasing the current to it. However that isn't always possibly - at least not practically.

All in all I'm not saying all of these electrical mods must be done. This is merely a list of potential upgrades should someone wish to try them.
I just mean that by moving stuff off the ignition switch, moving the power supply off of just the junction in the fuse box that you end up with more power available with fewer points of resistance to reduce the flow.

The issue isn’t gaurge of wire it is the quality of the connectors and the associated connections resistance.

The issue isn’t gaurge of wire it is the quality of the connectors and the associated connections resistance.
For the most part I agree. However as I am currently redoing the entire electrical system on my '79 I have found several original wires that got too hot at some point. Not enough to burn through the insulation, but enough to make it "pucker up" along the hot areas.

I think another problem with the stock harness is it's overly complex, nonsensical, redundant routing of most circuits. There are lots of leads that keep piggy-backing off one another, over and over. That can't be good. And there are a multitude of wires that are excessively long for no reason; they go from one side of the car across to the other and back again - more than once in many cases - only to end up almost back where they started after a very long detour for no reason. Excess wire length only adds to the overall resistance.

Seems I've already removed about 100 feet of redundant wires, and I haven't even began to eliminate several unwanted circuits. I estimate maybe as much as 20-25% of the total harness isn't needed.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. There is so much knowledge here. I don't mind rolling up my selves and getting my fingers dirty but when it comes to electrics I become quite reluctant.. Thank you.

Back