Embarrassingly Trivial Question: Anyone have a recommendation for the best fitting windshield shade

austinx19bill

Daily Driver
Got a custom-fitted sun shade with a Boxster I got a while back, it is so nice I vowed I would never buy ill-fitting universal sun shades ever again.

So of course I can't find a custom shade out there from coverking or anyone else for the X1/9, so wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a "close enough" sun shade from Walmart or anywhere else (and yep, already got a car cover for it as well)

Hi Bill, I'm in Las Vegas so I fully appreciate the importance of not just a shade, but one that is very efficient and easy to live with. Like you, I prefer the custom fitted ones. Particularly the thick, rigid, pleated type with insulation built inside and a reflective face. Unfortunately I've found the custom ones from CoverCraft (not to be confused with CoverKing) have proven to be inferior quality and do not last - especially when the high price is considered. I'll try another brand next time.

However that does not matter since no one offers a custom fit for the X as you say. So far my X's are all still in the process of complete restoration/customization, so I have not tried to find a shade for them yet. I'm sure you have already tried most of the usual "generic" ones, and just like me find they all pretty much suck. Not sure what I'll get but I am interested to see what you come up with. Please keep us posted.

On a related note, I once tried a new (at the time) product that was a custom fitted exterior sun shade. It covered the roof and all windows with a fairly thick insulated material that had a reflective face. It was secured by elastic cords and soft covered hooks that clamped over the fender lips. The cooling effect was great, much better than a inside shade. But the thing was a pain to put on and off, especially in the typical high winds we get. And it did not last long before the desert sun rotted it. Plus the elastic cords left some minor marks that I had to polish out. It was rather costly and a fail. I've found any exterior car cover to be impractical here as well. For the same reasons; too windy here, sun rots them quickly, and they tend to leave marks due to the fine sand that is in the air here. Of course I'm referring to outdoor use, I don't have room for any vehicles to be kept inside (too much equipment in the garage fills it up).

I failed to mention, the reason for telling about the 'failed' product that covered the outside of all the windows. The material it was made of wasn't that different from some of the better universal windshield shades. So the main reason it was so much more effective at keeping the inside of the car cool was the fact that all of the glass was shaded. Therefore I had the idea of using the same material (found it at a local hardware store, used for insulating HVAC air ducts) to make "custom" fitted covers for the side and rear windows of another vehicle (one that already has a custom windshield cover from CoverCraft). That vehicle does not get driven much so the covers protect the interior from the sun in addition to keeping it cool. It's amazing how much difference it makes to have all of the glass covered.

I suppose it might not be too difficult to make a custom fitted windshield shade for the X using a similar material. Look for various insulation products around the home improvement stores, or get a extra large universal windshield shade and cut it down. I found if the cover is made slightly oversized then the edges can be tucked into the window tracks all around. That keeps the cover in place quite securely. I added some packing tape around the edges for a little extra longevity, but I'm not sure it needs it.

Actually haven't tried any universal shades yet, but will start going thru them $10 a pop 'til I find a decent one. Will let you know if/when I do.

And I got thru car covers like candy here in Texas: if a cover last 18 months, I am very happy.

I really like the X1/9: quirky Italian but run runs great -- when it runs. Very forgiving, reminds me handling-wise of a 914 I had when I was a young man living in LA.

It's probably blasphemy, but anyone every successfully retrofit one of these with an AC system pulled out of a racer?

I recommend buying the biggest universal you can find and cut it down to a custom fit based on a piece of cardboard shaped to the X1/9 windshield. Then go around the cut edges with some of the recycled trim taken off the scraps you cut off. I do this all the time with car covers, floor mats, etc.

I'm currently working on a custom dash cover to use while driving. I planned to use foam and vinyl but testing proved it was just as hot underneath as in direct sun! Remarkably, the brown paper bag I made a pattern with keeps the dash cool as a cucumber so I'm using it right now to battle the Austin sun.

I was thinking about this thread today. The temps here have been well over 100 for awhile, and today I had a couple of errands to run (it was 110 F). Driving around in this heat isn't fun in any car. I took a modern one with a excellent AC system and good insulation. But when the car sits for even a few minutes in the sun (while you run into the store), the interior gets REALLY hot. And it takes quite some time for the AC to remove all of the heat soak out of the car. Window shades definitely help. Unfortunately it just isn't practical to cover all of the windows with them every time you get in/out of the car.

Another thing that helps is window tinting. That is a big business in this climate. After moving here I began researching it and located a great little tint shop. The owner is a bright guy and he keeps abreast of the latest technology in window tinting (yes, it is high tech and it develops constantly). Here are some things he told me. Darker tint will block more light and therefore more light energy (heat). In part that is the principle behind a window shade. But remember your basic physics...there are three types of heat transfer. So blocking out the light (with a very dark tint) isn't the only way to help cool inside the car. And you may not want a dark tint - or any tint at all. There are "clear" window films that block the UV rays without limiting the light. That helps a little and it protects your interior from rotting. There is also a clear material that helps shed the heat from the glass surface as air moves over it. This assists your AC system in removing all of the heat soak when you get back in the car and drive away. For automotive applications they've combined these features (UV protection and heat displacement) in a clear or tinted product. Different levels of darkness are offered, but for a classic car like the X1/9 I think the clear would be more appropriate. It is a film just like the tinted stuff, and applied the same way. I have it on one of my vehicles, including the windshield - remember, it is clear. And I noticed a difference after having it installed.

So today I was thinking this may be another option to use along with the custom window shades we've been discussing for the X.

Clear? Maybe it's polarized?

Agree that with a classic, clear is the only way to go.

Do you have a brand or product name I can check out?

Do you have a brand or product name I can check out?
Unfortunately I don't, it's been a few years since I last had some installed. I remember the window film companies liked to use nifty descriptors as marketing tools; things like nano-technology, ceramic, self-healing, etc.

I do not believe the clear film is polarized (but it might be). As I said it doesn't block light, just UV. And the cooling effect is at the surface when the vehicle moves through the air. The cooling effect isn't extreme. I did notice some improvement, but not a miracle. And when the car is sitting still (like parked in the sun while you are in the store) there is no real decrease in heat. It's more to help remove the heat after you drive off. On the other hand there IS a significant decrease in interior heat if you cover ALL of the windows with solid shades while it's parked. That gets to be a pain to do, but considering how small the X is and how few windows it has, that may be a the best option?

Speaking of clear window films. There is also another one designed to be installed on the OUTSIDE of the WINDSHIELD. It helps prevent sand damage (anyone that lives in a desert knows what that is) and rock chips. It will become damaged eventually, but you can have it removed and replaced for a fraction of the cost of a new windshield. Considering that X windshields are getting difficult to find and expensive, that might be worth doing as well.

But keep in mind window films are not cheap to have properly installed.

Back