Engine making clattering sound--electrical demon?

Update: the X is back on the road! After returning from our road trip (not in the X, sadly), I replaced the starter with a gear-reduction unit from MWB. It was a fairly easy project. Sure enough, that was the problem! I guess this is the exception that proves the rule--sometimes two things break at once, and it's very annoying when they do.

So, what dumb thing did I do this time? Nothing too horrifying--instead, I discovered something dumb that I did two projects ago(!), when I replaced all the shocks. A 17-mm wrench was wedged between the rear passenger lower shock mount and the plastic engine guard thing. The open end of the wrench had ground a little bit into the plastic, presumably when I was going over bumps or around corners. :oops: Thankfully, I was able to pry it off the bolt head with a big flat screwdriver.

Thanks again to all of y'all for the help! This is the longest the car has been off the road since I revived it last summer, and I was really starting to rethink my newfound hobby. But when I took it for a drive over to Key Biscayne yesterday, I'm pretty sure I was smiling the whole time.

Back