Engine swap photos

X1/9Cruiser

True Classic
Well today I finally got around to taking some photos of my car since I've swapped in the new motor.

Picture021-1.jpg

The engine in the foreground is my old B16a which I'm getting ready to sell. I've done a lot of work to the car since I've last posted photos. The most obvious is the new silver paint job covering the old Fiat metallic blue....covering the old Fiat Orange. :)

Picture020.jpg

The B16a is a great engine but the new engine, a b18c Type R is that much better. The car clocks a hair over 5 seconds with an easy launch. I'd try a hard launch but I want to wait and see how the drive axles handle the additional 30 horsepower.

Picture019.jpg

The swap was fairly easy since the motors are almost identical in size though I did rearrange a few things in the engine compartment. I moved the overflow bottle and added a shield to go around my air cleaner to block some of the hot air from the exhaust manifold which is nearby.

Picture018.jpg

The air cleaner shield is actually cut from an aluminum baking pan. It was the only piece of sheet aluminum I could easily find that had the right thickness.

Picture017.jpg

I also had to change the exhaust. The b16 uses a 2 1/4" pipe whereas the new motor needed a 2 1/2 inch exhaust. I used a Borla can this time but regret it since it's a lot louder than my old Dynamax can. Well thats about it. Hope to have a video posted if I can figure out a good way to mount my camcorder.

Sweet silver paint,,, 200hp!!!

You are the Man :worship: WoW...

What are you doing for bumpers since I now own the Euros :)

Hey Tom

No need to be jealous...you've got a gorgeous looking set-up. Hope to see you at Jenro's in the spring.

Last edited:
Thanks...

for bumpers I'm using the stock though lightened front bumper and Joe's PVC bumper design for the back. I reattach the OE rear bumper with a hitch when I put my bike on the back for those bike rides down at the beach :wink2:

history

Have the details of this install been documented? That has got to be serious fun. Very nice car!

I feel like I walked into a movie after it's been on for 30 minutes.

Need to get caught up on the plot line, like "Ain't that on the wrong side of the car?" and "What's it look like from the bottom?"

Really clean job!

Congratullations!
I really impress if you decide to cover the "H" honda logo with a diecast fiat emblem, here in socal nobody on any emissions center getting notice that you use a honda engine, looks like original engine and clean!
Do you have more pictures include the linkage shift knob?

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79
www.trazia.com/x19

beautiful!

hope mine looks 1/4 as good! my daily driver smucked a deer so here i sit, with an X, and a engine/trans (b16a) I am not even 100% run. but someday...

odie

pondering.....

how much would you be asking for the old engine? I am contemplating just getting one that is all together rather than hoping mine runs.

Odie

Back