Engine swap

Andy

True Classic
I made it most of the way through my autocross season this year, but in August had a sudden release of coolant in mid run.

I had already figured on doing some engine work over the off season so this just made it a more prudent.

So this past weekend I pulled the engine, went pretty smooth, working by myslef about 6 hours to get it sitting on the ground.

Engine is currently a 1300 with lots of goodies, new power plant will keep the head and cam, but will sit on a 1500 block with higher compression pistons.
More to come as the tear down and build commences.
128.PNG disassemby.jpg engine out.jpg

Attachments

• 128.PNG
    128.PNG
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 195
  • disassemby.jpg
    disassemby.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 177
I made it most of the way through my autocross season this year, but in August had a sudden release of coolant in mid run.

I had already figured on doing some engine work over the off season so this just made it a more prudent.

So this past weekend I pulled the engine, went pretty smooth, working by myslef about 6 hours to get it sitting on the ground.

Engine is currently a 1300 with lots of goodies, new power plant will keep the head and cam, but will sit on a 1500 block with higher compression pistons.
More to come as the tear down and build commences.
View attachment 26309 View attachment 26308 View attachment 26310

Nice car, are you running in E/P or D/M? If you are in D/M the 1500 is ok. If you are in E/P it could cause some problems because the 1500 was not offered in the 128s. Running locally it might not be a problem.

Post some more pics if you get a chance.

Thanks Gene,

I am running EP, but locally. In DM I would get my butt handed to me!

Maybe I could convince them that the X-1/9 is technically a 128???
I'll probably just not be too public about the displacement, and see what happens.

My only real competition is a Ford Pinto that breaks down often.

Ill post some more pics and video later.

Last night the queen declared "Off with it's head!"
Step one open the cam cover, after several seasons of autocross the inside of the cam box is about a clean as possible.
cam cover.jpg
The cam is a PBS B3
cam.jpg
The head came off easily, the exhaust valves are stock at 30mm, the intakes are a full 40mm
It has a date with the machine shop very soon.
head.jpg
Here are the 1300 pistons, they appear to be stock
1300.jpg
The 1500 block will be fitted with domed pistons
dome pistons.jpg dome.jpg

So much for the quick and dirty part of this project. Now begins the cleaning and preparation for build.
Not pictured yet are the DCNFs and manifold.
When assembled should be a pretty nice power plant.

I will retain the 4 speed transmission, and the lightened 1300 flywheel.

Just wondering why DCNF instead of DCOE. When I ran 128 ( a very long time ago ) the conventional wisdom was that the DCOE was carb to go with. Maybe it’s as simple as you have the DCNFs already

That’s it exactly. The car came with DCNF. So that’s what I’ll stick with.

Last edited:
I just purchased 73 Fiat 128. Not sure what engine is in it tho. How do I find out? Also what do you recommend for swap in case it’s the 1.1L which I don’t want.

Back