Engine swap

I think MR K20 would have been better off grafting a LS to the standard ferrari trans. keeping the motor placement & driveshafts stock. But since the ferrari block mounts to the trans I doubt that is possible. Its fun to be arm chair engineers.
One problem is that trans is no better than the engine, maybe worse (typical of old Italian trans?). But with how it's designed I don't see how it could be done anyway. Yes, very fun to talk about this stuff :D

The engine placement of the 308 does insure equal right & left weight distribution. I see they got the idea from the Lambo Miura and Lambo got the idea from the Mini.

1612725654848.png

1612725846872.png

I was surprised that the k20 sat so high compared to the 308 motor. They should probably stop the conversion, put the 308 motor back in and go mess with a 911.

Ohhh, a K20 with a turbo in a early body 911, mounted midship. 😃

Actually this brings up a question we have discussed many times. There really aren't a lot of good choices for a engine swap that meets the following criteria: light weight (e.g. all aluminum), compact overall size (I'm with @MikeHynes, I love a 4-cyl turbo), reliable/dependable "modern" design that is efficient and easy to service, something affordable and readily available, has the potential to make lots of power (with lots of performance parts available), and either is FWD with a good trans or easily mated to a mid-mounted trans. One option that I don't see used much is any of the VW engines - lots of good choices but mainly cast iron blocks so too heavy. I still like a couple of the European Ford 4-cyl engines, and they have lots of performance support in the UK. Then there are a couple of Toyota models we've discussed and perhaps Nissan (seems the "BEAMS" and "SR20" engine is a decent choice)? But those don't appear to have a lot of backing for mods. So I can see why Honda's are chosen. Particularly with all of the support they have had for so long here.

Last edited:
Jeff there is a motor that would make us very happy. Its the Abarth 1.4 motor.

I wish MOPAR would make a stand alone ECU for the Abarth 1.4 motor. Like they do for their Hemi engines . I know the sales would be a trickle but it would be a great gesture of goodwill. Plus its only "if statements" that they would have to turn off. Not like its real work. Wouldn't it be great if the FCA club asked MOPAR? You know club stuff for their members. I know Mark Gilles is a Italian Enthusiast. Anyone have connections?

Oops did I go too far.

Jeff there is a motor that would make us very happy. Its the Abarth 1.4 motor.

I wish MOPAR would make a stand alone ECU for the Abarth 1.4 motor. Like they do for their Hemi engines . I know the sales would be a trickle but it would be a great gesture of goodwill. Plus its only "if statements" that they would have to turn off. Not like its real work. Wouldn't it be great if the FCA club asked MOPAR? You know club stuff for their members. I know Mark Gilles is a Italian Enthusiast. Anyone have connections?

Oops did I go too far.
I plan on buying a salvaged new spider at some point. I believe the ecu and such can be removed and made independent. I am assuming mazda did the rest of the cars wiring and fiat just plugged and played the engine. Canbus could be an issue. but not as a stand alone

Honestly the only reason i am interested in the 6g72 is I have a few. If I could find a quad cam 4 valve / cyl busso reasonable i would go that way
My wife used to have a 2000 Mitsu Diamonte with that motor. That thing was a blast to drive in a hurry. Plowed a litttle, but set it up for the turns and kick the back out a little and wow it would pull out nicely! Super long body tho, it was longer than the Volvo XC70 wagon that replaced it!

The project started out fun now I just think it is stupid. I don't care how much power the tool box engine makes. The soul is ripped out and replaced by a matchbox.

The project started out fun now I just think it is stupid. I don't care how much power the tool box engine makes. The soul is ripped out and replaced by a matchbox.

The yellow 308/K20? I feel the same way about old XKE's with American V6/V8 swaps. Why??? They always sound WRONG.

I get the sentiment of wanting to keep classic cars original. I also understand the desire to improve a old car to make it mechanically modern. Different views are what make the hobby interesting, and I respect them all. But one thing I've never quite understood is referring to cars as if they were living beings rather than the inanimate objects they are. Maybe this is a religious thing? But cars do not have souls, we are not their custodians, and they certainly don't have feelings or thoughts of their own. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having an attachment to a car. I just don't see how that makes it anything more than the collection of metal, plastic, and other materials that it is comprised of. Changing the engine in a car does not make it less of a car, if anything it makes it a better car. No disrespect to anyone, only my views.

I get the sentiment of wanting to keep classic cars original. I also understand the desire to improve a old car to make it mechanically modern. Different views are what make the hobby interesting, and I respect them all. But one thing I've never quite understood is referring to cars as if they were living beings rather than the inanimate objects they are. Maybe this is a religious thing? But cars do not have souls, we are not their custodians, and they certainly don't have feelings or thoughts of their own. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having an attachment to a car. I just don't see how that makes it anything more than the collection of metal, plastic, and other materials that it is comprised of. Changing the engine in a car does not make it less of a car, if anything it makes it a better car. No disrespect to anyone, only my views.
I’m not a religious person so I don’t think that’s why my views differ from yours.
Maybe cars don’t have souls but I think we can choose to be their custodians. If you are fortunate enough to be the owner of a very original car I think it would be a shame to make changes as you are preserving history. I also think cars carry forward part of the last owner which is why I prefer patina to perfect restoration, it’s part of the cars history. Im fortunate to be the second owner of two Italian cars and I just can’t get myself to make changes that aren’t needed. When I’m gone I hope someone will continue to preserve the cars for future generations. Now if you’re starting with a basket case such as my 67 spider then you're really not preserving anything but car itself. On that one I’ve toyed with the idea of an engine swap but in the end I still want a Fiat 850, (even if modified) not something else. I recently bought a 73 year old truck with the full intention of making it a restomod but upon seeing how original it is I just can’t do it. I mean four generations of farmers kept this truck just as left the factory. Don’t you think it’d be a shame to destroy that history? If it was a basket case then by all means...
As with you this is just my view and everyone can do with their vehicles as they like. Would I remove the Ferrari engine on the 308? never but it’s not my 308. Now would I put a 308 engine in a Scorpion if I had one, oh yeah!

I’m not a religious person so I don’t think that’s why my views differ from yours.
Maybe cars don’t have souls but I think we can choose to be their custodians. If you are fortunate enough to be the owner of a very original car I think it would be a shame to make changes as you are preserving history. I also think cars carry forward part of the last owner which is why I prefer patina to perfect restoration, it’s part of the cars history. Im fortunate to be the second owner of two Italian cars and I just can’t get myself to make changes that aren’t needed. When I’m gone I hope someone will continue to preserve the cars for future generations. Now if you’re starting with a basket case such as my 67 spider then you're really not preserving anything but car itself. On that one I’ve toyed with the idea of an engine swap but in the end I still want a Fiat 850, (even if modified) not something else. I recently bought a 73 year old truck with the full intention of making it a restomod but upon seeing how original it is I just can’t do it. I mean four generations of farmers kept this truck just as left the factory. Don’t you think it’d be a shame to destroy that history? If it was a basket case then by all means...
As with you this is just my view and everyone can do with their vehicles as they like. Would I remove the Ferrari engine on the 308? never but it’s not my 308. Now would I put a 308 engine in a Scorpion if I had one, oh yeah!
I completely respect your view. And as you noted, our views differ, which is what makes life so interesting. :)

I have zero hesitation to modify, customize, alter, or otherwise destroy anything I own. Afterall it is mine and I've never been one to care for what others think of my things. And I have zero interest in what happens to it after I own it or after I'm dead. Maybe you could think of it as making history rather than preserving it?

However I totally understand your perspective and frankly I'm glad there are people like you that do keep some things as they were. It would be a very weird world if everyone made everything their own. But maybe that could also be a good thing? Who knows.

I will say there are some vehicles that I think are actually more appealing in stock original form (but very few). With all due respect to the members here, I don't find the X1/9 to be one of them. I really do not care for the X as it was from the factory, both in terms styling and the mechanical aspects. However I feel it has excellent potential to be made into a fantastic car, something not many cars are capable of. ;)

M
I completely respect your view. And as you noted, our views differ, which is what makes life so interesting. :)

I have zero hesitation to modify, customize, alter, or otherwise destroy anything I own. Afterall it is mine and I've never been one to care for what others think of my things. And I have zero interest in what happens to it after I own it or after I'm dead. Maybe you could think of it as making history rather than preserving it?

However I totally understand your perspective and frankly I'm glad there are people like you that do keep some things as they were. It would be a very weird world if everyone made everything their own. But maybe that could also be a good thing? Who knows.

I will say there are some vehicles that I think are actually more appealing in stock original form (but very few). With all due respect to the members here, I don't find the X1/9 to be one of them. I really do not care for the X as it was from the factory, both in terms styling and the mechanical aspects. However I feel it has excellent potential to be made into a fantastic car, something not many cars are capable of. ;)
My mother in law always said the world would be a boring place if we were all the same. How true.

Back