#EngineSwap : All K20-swappers out there!

Discussion in 'Workshop Forum' started by fiatmonkey, May 2, 2015.

1. fiatmonkey

fiatmonkey Tim Hoover

Are any of you using an RBC intake manifold? (vs. PRB that comes stock on the k20a2)

Here is a comparison:

[​IMG]
    RBC on the left...

The RBC is stock for US Civic Si. The 15hp increase, pretty substantiated claims are out there from what I have read and discussed with my tuner. I think it will fit the custom box/panel (behind seat) but not sure about the space around the fuel cell.

[​IMG]

2. Dennisrh

Dennisrh True Classic

The RBC is reguarded as one of the best, if not the best, intake manifold for the K20 engine. I thought of using an RBC in my swap except that the RBC is much longer that a PRB. The PRB barely fits around the gas tank. I can't imagine that the RBC would fit as it is significantly longer that the PRB. It looks like the RBC is about 2-3 inches longer than the PRB. Here are a couple comparison pictures. (RBC is on the left)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only have about 1/2 inch of clearance between my throttle body extension and the gas tank. I am not sure if anyone else has more room.
    [​IMG]

3. fiatmonkey

fiatmonkey Tim Hoover

You can safely remove some of that metal to make some room.
    [​IMG]

and not affect the fuel tank fitment.

4. Black-Tooth

Black-Tooth Tony Natoli

Hey you Hot Rodders... why not do the RIGHT THIING?

It'll also help balance the car better when you install a fuel cell up front!

That would be about another 80 pounds moved from where you don't need it out back! Then you can also cut away the shelf a bit more and move your seat, and YOUR seat... back for a couple more VALUABLE inches of legroom!

You are installing a couple of Kirkey Racing Buckets, right?

(Can I spend YOUR money or what???)

5. fiatmonkey

fiatmonkey Tim Hoover

Fuel cell up front is a great idea however I keep my spare up there now. If I had a small enough spare I could slide it where the stock fuel tank (used to) go after installing the fuel cell in the frunk as you suggest Papa T.

6. Black-Tooth

Black-Tooth Tony Natoli

7. fiatmonkey

fiatmonkey Tim Hoover

I picked up an RBC manifold and TB neck converter cheap today and I am eyeballing it into place.

[​IMG]

I think it WILL fit with some *slight* cutting/grinding. IF it doesn't look like an easy job, I will probably re-sell the mani and converter.

Won't know for sure till I pop the mani off. I am going to swap out the intake manifold gasket anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to at least try and fit it and go from there. Stay tuned...

-Tim

8. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

I really admire your spirit

I hardly have time to work on my K20 swap and you are already tearing yours apart to make more mods. :worship: I will watch with interest. BTW, keep doing the updates to your K20 website. I learn more every time I visit.

stingray250 likes this.
  9. fiatmonkey

fiatmonkey Tim Hoover

Thanks man :)

10. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Just found this thread looking for one of your Supercharger pics to gauge top clearance for potential center mount TB setup. Did you ever get the RBC to fit?

Is there a link for the K20 website?

EDIT: Found a link in this thread - I even commented on it back then - shows how bad my memory is overall :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  11. stingray250

stingray250 True Classic

Ya'll be workin wayyyyy to hard!!! LOL! I was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Navy and we had a sayin...

"Ya gotta be smarter than what yer workin on"

sub-zeroil likes this.
  12. motoTrooper

motoTrooper True Classic

Did they also teach you to blow up your engines just so you could rebuild them all over again?:D

stingray250 likes this.
  13. fiatmonkey

fiatmonkey Tim Hoover

They call that self paced learning... ;)

14. fiatmonkey

fiatmonkey Tim Hoover

Wait - did you blow something up?!?!

15. stingray250

stingray250 True Classic

Yes Sir!!! Actually two engines and two transmissions to date for the VW... It's a fine line keepin all that awesome together.

I push my equipment pretty hard... Harder than most. When it doesn't cooperate, it gets a butt spanking! Tell ya what, let me know when you can build a 72' VW Bettle that can run a 10.83 quarter mile with 30" mud tires on it and we'll line em up! Hahahahahaha!!! Nuttin but money right?

Live to drive, drive to live!

:cool:

kmead likes this.
  16. Michael Albers

Michael Albers Daily Driver

I have looked all over in this forum as well as on your other site, and I can't find anything on wether you got the RBC manifold to fit.
    The wrecked RSX I bought had a low mile K20Z3 swapped in with the RBC and an adapter for the cable TB. I have already gotten rid of the balance shaft oil pump and swapped the pan, but for performance I am thinking I want to keep the RBC manifold if I can.
    Any info you can provide will be a great help. I really don't want to have to put the fuel tank in the front.

17. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Look at Tony's post here - this is pretty much what would have to happen, at the very least

18. darwoodious

darwoodious Darin Nelson

19. Michael Albers

Michael Albers Daily Driver

That is what I was thinking too, dimple the fuel tank. With the angled inlet of the RBC manifold it may not even require the inlet tube. As soon as I can get my MWB swap kit I will do some test fitting and let everyone know.

lookforjoe likes this.
  20. sub-zeroil

sub-zeroil True Classic

IMG_3002.jpg IMG_3003.jpg IMG_3004.jpg thats mine , rbc will not work its way too long , you will need to chop it up to make it fit i had it on my z3 also its was not working for me at all here some pic of my set up