EurosportUK shock/strut questions

I don't think they are KYB's. The label is not the KYB logo and they appear to have a removable top nut, which KYB has not offered for many years (for this application). But there are not too many companies that make a replacement strut for the X1/9 so not sure what they are. Please let us know what you find out.

Reply from Claire.

Hello

No these are not KYB shocks, KYB only list gas filled shocks for the X1/9 as far as I’m aware. They are an Italian aftermarket OIL filled type similar to the originals. As for fit, I‘m not aware of any fundamental differences between the USA 1300’s and the European 1300 that would effect the fitting of these. The dimension between the strut lower spring mount and the upper hub carrier bolt hole is 18cm, and the rear struts have a shoulder on the rod top, so are only suitable for the 1300 model bump-stop/perch assembly.

Check this is the same as your existing struts to ensure the same ride height an.

Claire

Eurosport (UK)

Just to add a little to what Claire said about KYB's. The current (and only) listing from KYB for the X is also a hydraulic shock, similar to what she describes the ones in question to be. The KYB's are "gas filled" as she says, but not high pressure ones (like KYB used to be). Adding a low pressure gas to a shock is a means to help keep it cool. By comparison the Dr. DeCarbon design with a high pressure separate gas chamber, like Bilstein's and the old KYB's used to be, is a means of keeping the oil reservoir compressed to reduce aeration. So the difference seems to be the ones EuroSport lists do not have a low pressure gas added like the current KYB's have. While a high pressure (DeCarbon type) unit may be a better design, neither of these are that. So I'd say the overall quality of either may be more important than if they have gas added or not. But no way of knowing the answer to that.

Back