Exhaust inserts

carl

True Classic
What are those inserts that are put in an exhaust system to quiet them down a bit?
Anyone have personal experience with them?

Yes. Can't remember the name. Vendor not shy about charging full value (code for, expensive for what they are). It worked. If you go for it, be sure to secure it the way the manufacturer recommends. Mine ejected under full acceleration because I failed to use the exact stainless suggested fastener.

I just fitted one from Car Chemistry as well to my K20 exhaust. I started with their three ring version, but had to cut it down to two and modify it some as I inserted it into a slightly curved pipe between my exhaust header and the catalytic converter. It did seem to cut down on the decibels some. I am going to play with it some more. It comes with some small caps that can be tack welded to the central tube to reduce noise more. You can also add stainless steel wool that they sell to put in between the rings to get the most noise reduction.

For a larger selection, also take a look at the ones offered for motorcycle exhausts. Naturally the more you reduce the sound level with one of these, the more you also increase the gas flow restriction...simple physics cannot be defeated unfortunately.

Both, the sound waves can get altered in terms of their physical properties (such as amplitude and frequency) as they are bounced off the extra obstacles created by the baffles. Pretty much impossible to alter one aspect without changing others. Its amazing the technology that goes into designing car exhaust systems these days. Then there are ridiculous examples of car manufacturers actually piping in fake exhaust sounds through the car's sound system in order to make it more sellable. :rolleyes:

I find it odd that most aftermarket exhausts, at least for four cylinders, seem to go after a low pitch, boomy note which everyone complains about. The beauty of four cylinder motors is a high pitch raspy note.

I lucked out with my home built X exhaust, just a header and generic turbo muffler. Nice note when pulling hard and hardly hear it at cruising speeds. Could stand to be a bit quieter when cruising neighborhood streets but that's what the right pedal is for.

Back