Exhaust problem and solution

budgetzagato

Administrator
I previously have replaced my stock Scorpion exhaust with the Montecarlo version. 4-2 manifold, long 2-1 downpipe, J pipe and new muffler from Obert.

Recently I began hearing what sounded like an exhaust noise. It got worse and worse until I stopped driving it so I could fix it. Finally this past weekend I figured it out.

What I found was a broken downpipe-to-block bracket (m own design and fabrication) and both downpipe tubes cracked. When I removed it from the engine they severed completely.

IMG_20150912_125302607_zpsz8ohnw5j.jpg

IMG_20150912_125143590_zpskpmtsf1o.jpg

I theorize my bracket broke from a weak design and perhaps excess movement or strain. Once this let go, the weight and moment of the exhaust worked on the pipes until they cracked.

Previously I had only one set of flex joint springs at the bend end of the J-pipe. After welding repairs, I sourced more flex joint springs, 3" bolts and compression nuts and washers, and put together another flex joint at the end that goes to the muffler. My hope is that with the stronger bracket and extra (as original?) flex joint there will be less or no strain on the downpipe. Time will tell.

IMG_20150912_163623568_zpsrs6vgtyu.jpg

IMG_20150912_163829233_HDR_zpswynhpoao.jpg

IMG_20150913_145711_zps2lh2mpmq.jpg

Good work Greg,

Sorta looked hopeless in some of those photos.
Nice work. :thumbsup:

Nothing's hopeles...

It's just time and money.

I'm wondering if the two pivot sockets are enough or if I should install one of the braided flex joints like Mark used. I'm thinking of taking my J-pipe and putting a flex joint and resonator in it. :hmm:

Back