Expansion tank options

Why is a smaller than stock tank wanted, seems to fit in the space allotted by Fiat and installing a smaller one doesn't seem to solve any problems.

Why is a smaller than stock tank wanted, seems to fit in the space allotted by Fiat and installing a smaller one doesn't seem to solve any problems.
Because Fiat thought it would be wise to put items in an engine bay that aren't an engine/transaxle. I'm removing them. Along with any other crap they thought was useful like brackets and supports, extra wires hoses and such. It's mostly unnecessary junk.

Because Fiat thought it would be wise to put items in an engine bay that aren't an engine/transaxle. I'm removing them. Along with any other crap they thought was useful like brackets and supports, extra wires hoses and such. It's mostly unnecessary junk.

Curious to see pics when you’re done. Are you “tucking “ the wiring to go for the minimalist look?

Personally, I feel supports and brackets in general contribute to longevity of components in use, but if the car is basically for show I can understand the desire to “clean it up”...

Curious to see pics when you’re done. Are you “tucking “ the wiring to go for the minimalist look?

Personally, I feel supports and brackets in general contribute to longevity of components in use, but if the car is basically for show I can understand the desire to “clean it up”...
I'm sure I'll post pics. Not really for show. Not really "tucking" either. Just tossing crap that isn't needed, and technology for certain things has come along way since the "engineers" designed the stuff.

I'm sure I'll post pics. Not really for show. Not really "tucking" either. Just tossing crap that isn't needed, and technology for certain things has come along way since the "engineers" designed the stuff.

As long as you are having fun Mike! That's what matters. Personally, I think it will be so much easier to monitor your coolant levels once you get that tank bolted to the targa sail panel. :cool::p:D;)

As long as you are having fun Mike! That's what matters. Personally, I think it will be so much easier to monitor your coolant levels once you get that tank bolted to the targa sail panel. :cool::p:D;)
My plan was to use a cork and measured stick that reads "Full" and "Dry". I figure as long as it's in the middle, it's all good. I can't wait to start cutting some metal!!!

So you have a vision? Seems like much work to remove hardware, then paint etc., to what end? Are you stripping down the whole car, or is this just the bay? Your last sentence is just too vague & general to get a sense of what your goal regarding "stuff" is. I'm just curious, is all.

Thanks for the interest Joe. I build Italian helicopters, do I'm not much of a plans or engineering guy. Plus I don't want to say I'm going to zig, and then I zag. Ya know?

Last edited:
You could install the expansion tank, ignition components, fuel pump in the rear trunk to hide them. My 77 had all the ignition components in the spare tire well....but I moved it all back to the engine bay.

You could install the expansion tank, ignition components, fuel pump in the rear trunk to hide them. My 77 had all the ignition components in the spare tire well....but I moved it all back to the engine bay.
Thanks. I was considering the relocation of some items to the trunk (specifically the coolant res). Once I "get in there" I'm sure the creativity will kick in and turn out ok.

Despite your opinion most automotive engineers aren't all that stupid. Though it took about 60 years (slow learners maybe...) to finally evolve the modern radiator surge/overflow tank it has become an essential component on modern vehicles. Mid-engine cars like the X1/9 are especially vulnerable to overheating and really difficult to properly bleed the system because of the miles and miles of plumbing involved. Eliminating the surge tank will result in small amounts of coolant being lost every time the engine reaches operating temperature and a consequent influx of air into the system on cool down.

If your "plan" is constantly refilling/bleeding your cooling system or you like meeting tow truck drivers and replacing head gaskets and warped heads then toss that "unnecessary junk".

Despite your opinion most automotive engineers aren't all that stupid.
Although one thing they didn't count on was that X1/9 drivers were a bit more spirited that the 128 and Strada drivers, and 128's and Strada's didn't quite hang on through the corners like an X1/9, especially on track days.
Wasn't a lot of fun watching the Oil Pressure gauge needle plummet and the red light come on when going hard through a left hander as all the oil sloshed to the other side of the sump.

Last edited:
Back