Expressions of interest: my 1975 X1/9

rjplenter

True Classic
Hi all,

We're moving back to Australia and I can either sell my X here and start a new project down under, or ship this car over there. I'm wondering if anyone here is interested in buying my restomod X. I'm looking for offers over $7,000.

*** Before you read any further, this is a 1975 Colorado registered car, which means it does not require to pass emissions here and so due to the nature of the build, it will not pass emissions in many other states. ***

P1070894.jpg

Many of you may have seen the details of the engine build:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/1603cc-engine-build.25589/

A lot of time, effort, research, advice and assistance of forums members, especially Hussein, Steve and Bernice, has been put into this build. This has resulted in significant bumps in capacity and compression, and a SIGNIFICANTLY lightened valve train. All of this has resulted in an engine with excellent low down torque that revs all the way to 8,000rpm. It is very drivable in traffic and hauls like a train on our local mountain roads.

IMG_1369.JPG

IMGP5075.jpg

Here are some engine details:
1603cc engine
Bottom end
1500 block (138A)
Bore = 87mm
Stroke = 67.4mm (European crank, not a modified standard crank and did not require modifications to the block for clearance)
Scat forged connecting rods
Ross Racing lightweight gudgeon pins
ARP main bearing cap bolts
Vandervell crank bearings
Clevite 77 rod bearings
Windage tray and sump baffles
10-tooth oil pump
ARP flywheel bolts
Lightened and balanced flywheel

Head
Yugo 1100 head, ported, ports matched to inlet manifold
Extensive work to the combustion chambers
Inlet valves = 39.5mm
Exhaust valves = 33.5mm
Cam = 42/76 Intake - 68/36 Exhaust, 110 degree lobe center, 10.25mm maximum lift
Millers Mule adjustable cam pulley
Valve springs = single coil, beehive ovate wire (Subaru 10,000rpm springs)
Titanium spring retainers
Valve stem locks
Steel spring locators
Shimless buckets
Under-bucket lash caps
ARP head studs
Cambox studs

Ignition
Marelli S135 distributor
Crane XR3000 electronic ignition and matching coil
NGK BPR7eix spark plugs
Custom plug leads

Custom serpentine belt drive for alternator and water pump
Dual Dellorto 40 DRLA carbs with 36mm venturis on Alquati copy manifold
Electric fuel pump with emergency (Ford Mustang?) shut-off switch
ANSA 4-2 headers, custom system 2-1 to exhaust tip with Camaro muffler
* No catalytic converter *

Rebuilt 4 speed gearbox with 3.76 final drive ratio
Bernice Loui (Rupunzell) gearshift linkage modification

Bob Grasch aluminum radiator
Tried an oil cooler, but wasn't necessary

Strengthened engine cross-member

Suspension,steering:
Coilovers all around (have a second set of softer springs)
Koni front shocks
Don't recall rear shocks, but I don't think they are Koni
Front anti-roll bar
Front steering thrust plate bearings
Polyurethane steering column bush
Polyurethane steering rack mounts
Mark Plaia spec heavy duty upper strut mounts
Polyurethane bushes all around
15" wheels with Toyo Proxes T1R 195/45 tires

Brakes:
Allison Automotive front big brake kit with 4-pot Wilwood calipers
Drilled and grooved rear disks
Tried a hydraulic handbrake, but wasn't as successful I liked with the standard handbrake lever, master cylinder still plumbed into the rear braking circuit, but not actuated

Electrics:
Allison Automotive high torque starter
65A internally regulated alternator
Brown wire mod
H4 headlight globes with Midwest Bayless relay harnesses
Hella driving lights
Exterior ancillary LED lights
LED dash lights
Blade type fuse box installed
I've been endeavouring to clean up the wiring, but this still needs some hours of attention

Other details:
Momo Prototipo steering wheel
Vitaloni exterior rear view mirrors
Front and rear spoilers
Remote door locks

P1420031.jpg

The body/chassis:
Bumperless conversion
Not much surface rust when I got the car, it was addressed, but some small bubbles reappearing in the surface of one rear wheel arch
It has a 50 foot paint job and definitely needs a good paint job
Now some bad. There are some previous owner "modifications/repairs" that I have not dealt with yet, some I have. None of these effect the performance of the car, but should eventually be fixed

There are probably many other mods I've forgotten to add here.

Only serious enquiries please.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, greetings. Good luck with the sale. I must say that I am envious of you return to OZ. There are not many days in the month that the siren call of the Sunshine Coast does not try to lure me back. Have you researched shipping the car back? I imagine with the current coronavirus pressures on shipping now would be as good a time as any.

Rob, I'm with Peter. If it were me I'd really consider shipping it so you can keep it. I recall all of the great effort you put into building it, and it came out very nice. It would be a shame to have to start over. The cost to ship autos is a interesting thing; I've seen some international locations on the opposite side of the planet that only cost $500, and other destinations a couple of states away that wanted $3000. Go figure. But shop around and see what the options and prices are. If you are moving a lot of household items as well, then maybe get a shipping container and fill it with everything (including the car) in one shot. Regardless of what you do with the car please stay active here so we can keep in touch. :)

Biggest question is probably whether you'll be happy driving a left-hand-drive car in Australia. Would be a no-brainer to keep it if you were headed to a LHD country. I guess you could consider doing a RHD conversion?

Well, some of the most sought after models of import vehicles here in America are RHD versions of ones that we only saw as LHD. Often customizers go to great lengths to make standard LHD models into RHD for that very reason. So having a LHD model in a RHD country should be a bonus, and more valuable in the motoring enthusiast circles. ;)

Well, some of the most sought after models of import vehicles here in America are RHD versions of ones that we only saw as LHD. Often customizers go to great lengths to make standard LHD models into RHD for that very reason. So having a LHD model in a RHD country should be a bonus, and more valuable in the motoring enthusiast circles. ;)

I've never seen that. Usually it's special versions of cars we got but were say, Japan specials.

Special FD RX-7s, Civic Type Rs, etc. Or other cars we never got, Cosmos, Skyline, etc.

I have an imported from Japan Lancia Thema 16v Turbo that's LHD. LHD is seen as sort of a cool status in Japan.

But yeah, Australia no longer allows importation of LHD cars. Not sure how that applies to a car the age of his X1/9, but I've heard they've cracked down a lot on LHD cars there.

Hi folks,

Sorry for dropping the ball on this. We've had a very trying week with the unexpected loss of two family members and a very dear old friend since I posted. A stark reminder to make sure we live every day to it's fullest now, not just in some abstract timeframe, and to not take our time walking upright for granted.

Anyway, I have had some expressions of interest for selling the car. I've also had a lot of messages reminding me that I couldn't build another X like this with all the parts that I've amassed over the last couple of decades, and that it would be a great starting point for a classic rally car. One of my best friends in Australia has offered to help with shipping the car, he ships cars all over the world on a regular basis so knows all the tricks.

So I think for now I'm going to pursue the idea of shipping, continue to enjoy the car and maybe even start it on a new chapter in the forests of south eastern Australia. If that changes for any reason I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello Rob,
Please accept my condoleances...
For the X you do the right think to bring it with you in Australia.

Warm regards,
Lucy and Yves

Sorry for your losses.

You are indeed correct we need to appreciate the time we have with those we care for as well as the time we each here. My Dad is 16 years gone and though the grief has dissipated, there are those days where it is just as immediate as the day it occurred.

All the best.

Back