1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F.I. throttle shaft seals

Discussion in 'Workshop Forum' started by 7982X, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

1. 7982X

7982X Daily Driver

I did a search on the workshop forum for a thread concerning removing (& replacing) the throttle shaft seals in the plenum. I didn't find one that specifically dealt with this issue. We are getting our plenum & manifolds ready to have them ceramic coated and as the seals are shot anyway, we need to replace them. It appears that you cannot drive them out from "the other side" as the ID of the metal seal housing isn't much smaller than the hole in the plenum (or the bushing anyway). Does anybody have any words of wisdom (or experience) on how to remove the seal bodies? We have new ones to go back in. I really do not want to damage anything and it looks like that would be fairly easy to do. I have received a couple of thoughts, such as prying them out, drilling them and "hooking" them, using a drift or pin punch, or a small seal puller. We are looking to add as many ideas as we can from an experienced pool to improve our chances of success.
    Your input will be appreciated.

2. geekdaddy

geekdaddy X1/9 Learner's Permit...

I removed mine for the same reason (ceramic coating the plenum) several years ago and not certain but think I picked them out using some HF pics. After coating I just carefully tapped the new ones in. I think I got the replacement seals from one of our vendors.

Btw be certain that you properly plug all the small vac line ports on the plenum before coating. My guy missed a few and I had to clean them out afterwards....

3. 7982X

7982X Daily Driver

Have a couple sets of the picks.....amazing how useful they are. Thanks for the tip on plugging the ports as well. I was identifying all ports & surfaces to be masked when I remembered that the seals still needed to be removed. (That's what happens when you do these things over a period of time.....you can forget details.) I had to partially reassemble some things to remember how they fit and what could & couldn't be masked.
    Are you happy with the results of ceramic coating your plenum and did you do the manifolds as well? We are also using a coated Allison header, ceramic coated cat & coated dual outlet muffler. They look really nice and hopefully aren't too loud (I outgrew loud exhaust many years ago).
    By the way, I really enjoyed your video. It has been a long time since I have driven an X (except to check out the engine in our donor car) and it did my heart good to "experience" it again.
    Thanks for your input!

4. geekdaddy

geekdaddy X1/9 Learner's Permit...

I'm pretty happy with the coated plenum. It's shiny, zero maintenance, and looks nice although the polished ones look better (and cost much more to do with add'l upkeep). Here are some before and after pics of mine...
    IMAG0033.jpg IMAG0149.jpg IMAG0150.jpg 20170527_115928.jpg

5. 7982X

7982X Daily Driver

WOW, looks pretty darned nice! We have that to look forward to. Did you have any trouble with the ceramic cracking where you bolted on the TPI? I was thinking of masking off those "flats" for fear of the coating cracking under the TPI mount flanges. We are doing the coating as much for helping keep the exhaust heat out of the intake system as for the good looks & low maintenance. Also interested in your custom heat shielding. Is it also between the header/intake manifolds & the fuel rail? I have started to work up a cardboard mock up to do just that but got sidetracked by other things. We are trying to avoid installing a fuel rail cooling fan, kind of preventing the heat problem rather than "fix" it.