F/S nice 74 in CL - not mine

I believe that a gentleman named Tim Beaubien (from Ohio) sold this car
IMG_0365.JPG
last year - for considerably less $. I was very interested in the car at his price, then.
Not so much now, but nice car :).
I have no problems with car flippers, this car might bring the money the owner is asking.

I have no problems with car flippers
Off topic, sorry. But I do have a problem with "car flippers". Maybe I'm just too involved with the automotive industry, spent way too many years as a committed car enthusiast, have too great a passion for the hobby, or whatever. But to me people that buy a car purely for the sake of flipping it for profit are 'automotive pimps' of sorts - making money off cars like they were prostitutes and taking advantage of the buyers. It only serves to skew the market falsely. I realize "flippers" are typical of the American social outlook; do anything to make money, at the sake of others loss. But I don't like it...too greedy.

Off topic, sorry. But I do have a problem with "car flippers". Maybe I'm just too involved with the automotive industry, spent way too many years as a committed car enthusiast, have too great a passion for the hobby, or whatever. But to me people that buy a car purely for the sake of flipping it for profit are 'automotive pimps' of sorts - making money off cars like they were prostitutes and taking advantage of the buyers. It only serves to skew the market falsely. I realize "flippers" are typical of the American social outlook; do anything to make money, at the sake of others loss. But I don't like it...too greedy.
To be fair, the owner did make some changes to the car, changes for the better IMHO. Plus, it was transported west, so there is some value to someone on that coast.

I looked at the car today. It is very nice and clean. He has done a good amount of maintenance to bring it up to snuff. Based on what he told me, he wasn’t intentionally flipping it but found his dream car (70’s Datsun) and is selling a few cars to trim the herd. I knew I was at the right place when I saw the New Alfa Giulia and a new green Fiat. I would probably buy the car if I didn’t have one already. Was thinking of buying it and selling mine because it would be cheaper to do that than fixing the rust on mine. I am pretty sure it will sell quickly.

Money/value feels so out of balance here in the Bay Area that it almost feels weird when things aren’t overpriced here. I know I over paid for my X but I was/am pretty clueless and was worried I wouldn’t find another one to buy. Think I paid 6k as it was said to have been taken down to the metal and repainted. I later found out it was 10 years earlier, LOL. I’m too shy to ask enough questions.

Hard sometimes not be shy and also get overly excited about an X and look past otherwise obvious (or almost obvious) things and we are here to help when you aren’t sure of things

Money/value feels so out of balance here in the Bay Area that it almost feels weird when things aren’t overpriced here. I know I over paid for my X but I was/am pretty clueless and was worried I wouldn’t find another one to buy. Think I paid 6k as it was said to have been taken down to the metal and repainted. I later found out it was 10 years earlier, LOL. I’m too shy to ask enough questions.

NICE!!! SO MUCH WANT.

It's a '74... check!
It's the green I love... check!
Black interior.... check!

I'd ditch the CD91s for some better and period correct wheels
I'd put Euro bumpers on instead of the of the NA bumpers (like Paul Valente's car)
I noticed it has late model door seals

yeah, that's perfection right there... For me a Ferrari needs to be red, but an early X1/9 needs to be that green. :)

Someone needs this! (the price isn't too bad if the car is in good shape)

I looked at the car today. It is very nice and clean. He has done a good amount of maintenance to bring it up to snuff. Based on what he told me, he wasn’t intentionally flipping it but found his dream car (70’s Datsun) and is selling a few cars to trim the herd. I knew I was at the right place when I saw the New Alfa Giulia and a new green Fiat. I would probably buy the car if I didn’t have one already. Was thinking of buying it and selling mine because it would be cheaper to do that than fixing the rust on mine. I am pretty sure it will sell quickly.
Did you get a chance to test drive it? Anything else you can tell us about it. I'm interested in it and might go see it next week. Thanks

Did you get a chance to test drive it? Anything else you can tell us about it. I'm interested in it and might go see it next week. Thanks
Yes I drove it. Was my first time driving an X1/9 other than my own, which is a fuel injected 5 speed. Think I wore the wrong shoes, these fat cushiony things, I kept having a hard time knowing if my foot was on the brake, lol. Felt a little bad about that and my clunky shifting. Especially as kids were darting out into the street. I was too nervous to really drive it as I should have but enough to know that it feels and smells fresher than mine. Of course I ground it a little shifting into 3rd even after he said all the gears shift smoothly which I believe, it is smoother than mine but I had been jerking the gears around in my Audi as I was fighting through traffic to get there on time and my reflexes were still in fight or flight mode. Vince was generous and offered to let me take it on the freeway or wherever I wanted but since driving in SF makes me nervous in the best of times, I declined. The only thing I noticed that seemed like I should have asked more about was when it went over speed bumps, something rattled pretty vigorously, loud enough that I thought I would have felt it in the steering wheel but I didn’t. I only heard it, like Something was loose on or around the steering column but everything felt very tight. Maybe something was in the frunk that I hadn’t noticed.
I want my car to be that nice.

The engine sounded pretty sweet as well. All in all it felt well put together and nicely kept. I was surprised by how different the earlier cars are than the later ones. Really feels and looks more 70’s

Just a follow up as I am Vince, the seller of the car. I did not flip it, as there was an owner in Southern California, between me and the owner of the car in Michigan you are referring to, who sold me the car for more than my asking price. In addition, I since upgraded the brakes, removed the electric fuel pump (not a fan of the sound), and worked on the clutch for smoother shifting. Also, I advertised it as the best year because in CALIFORNIA all cars '76 and up need to be smog certified every 2 years, and I am not a fan of the ladder bumpers on the '75's, so thus my opinion. On another site, people debated that the Fuel Injected cars are better.... but again, in California you can do anything you want with this car without fear that it will not pass smog. I could have better prefaced my opinion that this would be your best choice in an X1/9 and be able to keep it on the road in CALIFORNIA. As for the color, it's polarizing. Some really like it, I fall into that camp, and others hate it. It's a bold color that represents the era, is the color on the cover of the brochure in '74, and I receive thumbs up whenever I drive it, but if you don't like it, it won't change your opinion, I get it. Lastly, the car sold the 2nd day I was able to show it, and sorry to those that inquired and were not able to view the car. My work requires that I travel constantly, so I had a very short window to sell the car. Wishing you all the best, as it was a very fun car to drive, even if it was such a short time, and hopefully there will be another in my future.

Last edited:
Just a follow up as I am Vince, the seller of the car. I did not flip it, as there was an owner in Southern California, between me and the owner of the car in Michigan you are referring to, who sold me the car for more than my asking price. In addition, I since upgraded the brakes, removed the electric fuel pump (not a fan of the sound), and worked on the clutch for smoother shifting. Also, I advertised it as the best year because in CALIFORNIA all cars '76 and up need to be smog certified every 2 years, and I am not a fan of the ladder bumpers on the '75's, so thus my opinion. On another site, people debated that the Fuel Injected cars are better.... but again, in California you can do anything you want with this car without fear that it will not pass smog. I could have better prefaced my opinion that this would be your best choice in an X1/9 and be able to keep it on the road in CALIFORNIA. As for the color, it's polarizing. Some really like it, I fall into that camp, and others hate it. It's a bold color that represents the era, is the color on the cover of the brochure in '74, and I receive thumbs up whenever I drive it, but if you don't like it, it won't change your opinion, I get it. Lastly, the car sold the 2nd day I was able to show it, and sorry to those that inquired and were not able to view the car. My work requires that I travel constantly, so I had a very short window to sell the car. Wishing you all the best, as it was a very fun car to drive, even if it was such a short time, and hopefully there will be another in my future.
Congrats on selling the X Vince. Do you mind sharing what it sold for or a ballpark? I ask as it helps us crazy x owners to feel good (hopefully) about our investments :)

I like it!

Congrats on selling the X Vince. Do you mind sharing what it sold for or a ballpark? I ask as it helps us crazy x owners to feel good (hopefully) about our investments :)
Out of respect to the buyer, was asked not to disclose. He can disclose to you if he wishes, but it sold well, even though I sold at a loss, but it was not my intention to make money on the car but rather enjoy a car from my past. If you read the Jalopnik blog, many were critical of my asking price and description. The author of the article wrote: "Right now the seller is hoping that audience is willing to entertain a $7,499 price for the car. Just a fun fact, that’s almost twice the X1/9’s original MSRP of $3,920." I will gladly pay 2x the original asking price of an early 70’s Porsche 911 or Datsun 240z. In my biased opinion, $7,499 was not a lot of money for a running, presentable '74 X1/9.

Last edited:
Agreed.
Like they say, “they’re not making any more 1974 X1/9s”

Out of respect to the buyer, was asked not to disclose. He can disclose to you if he wishes, but it sold well, even though I sold at a loss, but it was not my intention to make money on the car but rather enjoy a car from my past. If you read the Jalopnik blog, many were critical of my asking price and description. The author of the article wrote: "Right now the seller is hoping that audience is willing to entertain a $7,499 price for the car. Just a fun fact, that’s almost twice the X1/9’s original MSRP of $3,920." I will gladly pay 2x the original asking price of an early 70’s Porsche 911 or Datsun 240z. In my biased opinion, $7,499 was not a lot of money for a running, presentable '74 X1/9.

Couldn’t agree more and I do respect the buyers wish to keep the purchase $ private.

I have also paid that kind of money for an X multiple times and arguably in not as good condition as yours as well.

Back