Fatrat progress

carl

True Classic
rdoibhE2PPtWQYHK8
Progress is a good thing on any project. I think I finally turned the corner on this project where I have stopped removing all the crap on it and started installing good stuff.

IMG_0865[2].JPG

Since I run dashless, I had to remove all the welded on mounting tabs behind the dash. Add some bondo to clean it up, hit with semi-flat black and the dash will be ready to mount the tach and cell phone (speedo) bracket. News paper on windshield is to keep sparks from the grinding from embedding in the glass. I learned this the hard way, grinding sparks and MIG sparks will pretty much ruin any glass.

Next, I wanted to mount the good gas tank. But before that is done I have to cover the speaker holes in the rear panel (so I don't drill into the gas tank by accident), this involved nothing more than making an aluminum panel and pop riveting over the speaker holes. Now I can finally install the gas tank. Couldn't resist popping the new wheels/tires on...because it just makes me feel good to see them. Good pedal box from the rat will go in soon and once I swap out the rear trailing arms I can install the brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_0868[1].JPG
    IMG_0868[1].JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I had to remove all the welded on mounting tabs behind the dash.
That type of stuff is a real pain in the arse. There are tons of unwanted brackets, tabs, mounts, anchors, flanges, whatever on these cars. And all of it is in the way. I'm so tired of cutting out spot welds and grinding off the remains from these things.

Couldn't resist popping the new wheels/tires on...because it just makes me feel good to see them.
I don't recall seeing those before. Do tell. Or did I miss it on your 'wheels' thread?

Suggestion: since you will have a cell phone mounted on the dash, perhaps use that to read the news on your way to work rather than putting the newspaper over the windshield. It will be a little safer. :D
Actually I'm glad you reminded me to cover the glass. I'm doing similar work on the engine bay, right next to the back glass.

The wheels were purchased from a member here but via private conversation.
What's " on the way to work"? I have vague memories on something called work but can't fully remember what it is.
You have no idea how pissed I was when I realized I had pretty much ruined a driver side window with weld and grinding splatter years ago.

ruined a driver side window with weld and grinding splatter
Reminds me of the time I did a small touch up of a paint chip using a detail spray gun for the first time. I was very young and rather naive, so didn't think the overspray would travel that far to get on the windows. Later when I saw it I used a razor blade to scrape it off. But being safety glass (ie. plastic not glass) the blade scratched the windows badly, making them much worse than the overspray. It was my first new car.

This is my favorite moment in process, when car looks like Yours now and put some fresh wheels for contrast. Looks great!

The wheels are British and made by Two Gates. They are 13X8. I bought them barely used. Tires are BFG TAs that are being made again and are 205/60/13. And yes, I had the white letters on the inside. This combo gives a very nice period look. No spacers on the front and the tires still may poke out a tiny bit from the front fender lip. Rears I could probably add a few spacers if I wanted to push the tires out all the way.

Car is obviously stripped at the moment and sitting on stock struts so a bit jacked up at the moment. Will be going to coilovers so I can set the stance where I want it and pretty sure I'll have to do some trimming on the inside of fender lips.

I tried to come up with a theme for this build but nothing comes to mind yet other than our abused rat rod. Certainly won't be a show car and won't be a track day bomb but will look like one.

By far, choosing wheels and tires were the biggest headache as there is hardly anything in 4X98 with lots of offset to fill the flares. I'll weigh the wheel tire combo but you won't be happy as I can tell they weigh a ton compared to the 155/80/13 ties on the iron crosses that came on the car!

Doc, I should be going to workout every day (according to my wife) but I just spend the day crawling all over the X while working on it.

No problem, Ed. Order a set for your X and put the white letters on the outside. I want to see how much fender opening interference you get with the 205s!

205s would shred my fenders.... I imagine it would be like when a tire comes apart on a race car then destroys the body, mine would be that in very slow motion...

1BC7AA50-3EEF-4E55-A7FB-07D09CDEF353.jpeg
9FBC37B7-538C-4E48-A997-C085A4CD1A43.jpeg
I’ve since lowered the front one coil, and now running the slots with 185’s squared, one factory spacer. These rims are 51/2” with more(?) offset.

As Chris illustrates, the tire size by itself really does not mean too much. The wheel offset and rim width are what determine where that tire will be, relative to the fender/body and suspension/strut.

Back