Fender flares for 128sl

Ernie

True Classic
Has anyone here purchased and installed the coupe fender flares sold by Midwest-Bayless?

I'm leaning toward a purchase rather than fabricating. But, the photo on their website shows a rear 3-quarter view.

I would really like to see a front 3-quarter view, so I'm hoping someone can share a photo.

Thanks.

Have you talked to Matt? He is so accommodating and would probably give you any extra info you want.

I'm only guessing, but it may be that photo on the website is a catalog remnant from Bayless. And, that may be where the molds came from. Matt is an x1/9 guy. Bayless was all fiats guy.

I'm thinking MWB will not have additional photos and would need to give me some lead time to delivery.

But, you're correct. I haven't asked. I'm hoping to replicate the look I've seen in a photo posted some time ago by Jeff Stich. He mentioned helping to build a "bad ass looking" coupe and showed us what resulted.

I like the way the front fender angled to meet the original sheet metal at the bottom. I'm not araid of modifying the MWB flares, but I am interested to see what I'm buying for 319+ beans.

I don't blame you on that point. You have any pictures of a coupe that wears the fender flares you want? Pretty sure my FAZA bibles show some pics of European racing coupes with flares.

I don't blame you on that point. You have any pictures of a coupe that wears the fender flares you want? Pretty sure my FAZA bibles show some pics of European racing coupes with flares.
I'm attaching the photo that shows the look I want.

I have 2 coupes that I'm trying to make into one. Fortunately, the rougher one has been a capable sheet metal donor because the cars have rusted in different places. Exception being the notorious rash under the battery tray.

Anyway, I have no problem cutting the wheel arcs since the fender work is last on my list for fixing.

I already have some 13x7 wheels 205x60 tires. Just trying to decide if I will try my hand at making flares or buying some. I have a set of flares that would work but are too much of a compromise. Not the look I'm hoping for.

Attachments

• JRs128SLC.jpg
    JRs128SLC.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 214
That looks like the classic style wheel flare. I'm sure adapting flares from another car would look easy but be a nightmare to fit. I have seen where some folks slice the stock flare down the center, pull it out and then weld metal into the open slice.

That looks like the classic style wheel flare. I'm sure adapting flares from another car would look easy but be a nightmare to fit. I have seen where some folks slice the stock flare down the center, pull it out and then weld metal into the open slice.
Yeah. That was going to be my way to approach making my own. Seems a good starter idea since that piece would be cut off anyway to add fiberglass flares.

I have flares on 128 coupe. Got them from Europe through eBay.
Had to modify front flares as wheels had greater offset than standard
Maymadness12018.jpg

Great looking race car. I like the headlights.

My last 2 ebay attempts didn't pan out. One turned out to be universal flares that didn't match the photos. The other has no response to questions 6 months later.

Good to hear from another 128sl owner. I hope you will please tell us more about your car.

I'm hoping to replicate the look I've seen in a photo posted some time ago by Jeff Stich. He mentioned helping to build a "bad ass looking" coupe and showed us what resulted.

I'm attaching the photo that shows the look I want.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?attachments/jrs128slc-jpg.46280/

That was John Rich's old black/gold 128SL back in the 1970's, the fender flares on that car were hand-formed steel flares done by John himself. I did not help John build that car (I was just a kid at that time), I helped him build another 128SL back in the late 1990's. It started as a bone-stock Positano Yellow '74 1300 model with the huge heavy battering-ram type bumpers, which we converted to earlier chrome bumpers. It had much tamer flares than the black car, but also had ground effects incorporated on the front, rear & on both sides (again, all hand-formed steel, which John preferred over fiberglass). I didn't help with the bodywork, that was done by John & my friend Kane Brechlin (they did a few cars together after this). I served mainly as a " parts consultant" for this car, sourcing the early bumpers, front grille & headlight surrounds, some interior items, the LOW wheels, exterior lighting/lenses, SuperSprint quad-tip exhaust & various suspension parts. The period Rich Motors dealership rear license plate frame was a gift from me to John as the "icing on the cake" for the car. ;)

Here's that car:

blueSLb.jpg blueSLc.jpg

I've seen those pictures before. Didn't realize they were also handy work of the same guy. Thanks for letting us know about more about the cars.

Beautiful job on both of them.

There are generic universal flares that can be fit to most any car.

These are metal:

And these are molded composites:

That was John Rich's old black/gold 128SL back in the 1970's, the fender flares on that car were hand-formed steel flares done by John himself. I did not help John build that car (I was just a kid at that time), I helped him build another 128SL back in the late 1990's. It started as a bone-stock Positano Yellow '74 1300 model with the huge heavy battering-ram type bumpers, which we converted to earlier chrome bumpers. It had much tamer flares than the black car, but also had ground effects incorporated on the front, rear & on both sides (again, all hand-formed steel, which John preferred over fiberglass). I didn't help with the bodywork, that was done by John & my friend Kane Brechlin (they did a few cars together after this). I served mainly as a " parts consultant" for this car, sourcing the early bumpers, front grille & headlight surrounds, some interior items, the LOW wheels, exterior lighting/lenses, SuperSprint quad-tip exhaust & various suspension parts. The period Rich Motors dealership rear license plate frame was a gift from me to John as the "icing on the cake" for the car. ;)

Here's that car:

View attachment 47092 View attachment 47093
Nice set of Rich Otas wheels. There was a guy selling a set of those at Freak Out. We tried to negotiate but he wanted $1000. Too rich for us. If you ever come across another Rich motors plate frame.... That would be perfect on Otas 0015.

Back