Ferrari gate - opinions please

Rob1400T

Daily Driver
With much measuring done, I can confirm I can get this 308 gate to fit. Curious on opinions. Swap for the gate or leave the leather gaitor?

PXL_20201111_183345426.jpg
PXL_20201111_183311636.jpg

I kinda like it, the center console modification. A bit claustrophobic? My old Alfa Spider I removed the center console and loved the "openness". Try the gate and see if you like it.

Can you trial-fit it, to see if it will actually work with your linkage?
Cool looks don't mean anything if it interferes with shifting.

Would look nice but could cause a problem if the linkage/wires becomes just a little bit sloppy?
BTW, I am chasing wires and gear shifter from a MR2 as you suggested. Seems impossible to get here in Scandinavia. I will try junk yards in Germany as well. Do you know availability in UK?

I plain think it will not work. Watch the shift lever when you get on the gas and then let off again.
It moves around quite a lot.
But just trying it out would be the way to go.

I plain think it will not work. Watch the shift lever when you get on the gas and then let off again.
It moves around quite a lot.
But just trying it out would be the way to go.
I use cables though so it's not affected in the same way as a standard car.

It's very clear from the lower picture that the shift gate would work very cool....for your heater controls!
As others have stated, try it and see if you like it.

I'm not a big fan of gated shifters at all - even in a Ferrari. But if you've got to have a gated shifter, get a Ferrari.

I use cables though so it's not affected in the same way as a standard car.
This particular piece of data helps us give better feedback.

A cable shifter won’t have the same variation in the motion due to engine mount compliance etc.

Yes it could work presuming the gates are actually in alignment. Is it an original X transmission or have you made other changes to the driveline?

I have always like the look of the gate from the first time I saw one in a race car movie back in the late 50's.
Thought about doing it on a couple of cars but the shift linkage is sloppy enough that there could be problems with rotating the shift rod far enough to get the gears to engage and still line up with the slots.
I also like the boot well enough to be happy with it.
Just went back and saw were you have cables for the shifter so might work. Would like to see how the cables hook up.
IMG_0943.JPG

Last edited:
I installed one of these gates, and it was actually for a Ferrari. I also got the optional flick over plate with it. The reason is to prevent getting 5th instead of 3rd when competing. On hill climbs we never get into 5th. Also prevents trying to get reverse when going from 2nd to 3rd. You can see I had to remove the 'fingers' between the gates as otherwise it was very difficult to get the gears in a hurry, no doubt not helped by 30yr old linkage. I also had to mount it up off the console to allow the gear lever to move far enough to engage the gears. Looks a bit agricultural, but for my purposes it works very well

Attachments

• IMG_20201117_173340.jpg
    IMG_20201117_173340.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 87
Back