Fiat 124 Wagon water damage? Worth it?

rev-luvs-wagons

Low Mileage
Found a posting for a 1972 Fiat 124 Wagon. Owner told me he accidentally drove it in to a flooded area that had no signs. He said it was about 4am when he drove into it, once he realized it was flooded, he reversed and returned home. He said the vehicle had some electrical problems he planned on fixing; however, he ended up purchasing a '73 Fiat 124 Wagon and the '72 was kept in the garage.

So, my question to you guys is: Do you think its worth it? He said he's looking to get about $2000-2500. The '73 is also for sale; unfortunately, it is way above my budget at the moment. Any advice on what I should look for?

I plan on redoing the wiring harness, but should I be worried about anything else?

He'll be emailing me some pictures later and I can post them here to give you guys an idea.

Thanks for any input!

Beyond rust, if he managed to drive it out then its likely mainly fine.

The one thing I would worry about would be water in the rear axle as it does have a vent and it could fill with water.

Most everything else, its old, it needs redoing and hopefully it was a bath it sorely needed...

I just paid $2500 for a good solid running 128 wagon with a 1500 engine. Apples/oranges somewhat, but, heck yeah, it's worth pursuing, I'd think maybe his price is high.

Andrew

The 124 Wagon is a really cool car. I wouldn't worry too much about the water submerging. Be glad you have an honest seller and just be careful when you look at it.

124 wagon

The bath just helped the rust along a little. Cool cars, I found a 70 in SF
for $250, I ripped the 1438 OHV engine out and will replace it with a TC motor. I could use some bumpers.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.
christophersaul*gmail.com

Back