Fiat 128 alternator

Dalbello

Daily Driver
I have a 1978 Fiat two door US rally version. I am trying to find an alternator that will fit this year. It seems that the 78 model has a different type (maybe). It was a three wire clip with an internal clip that mounts on the bushing. My car never had an alternator so I have nothing to go by. I have bought one and it has two wires in the back with does not work with the clip from the car. The pic attached I think is the one I need but I cannot find one. The car has an external regulator.
Does anyone know if this is the correct alternator for a 78 Fiat sedan?
2E63CEB-1.jpg

If you are just going for something that works you might ponder the idea of going to a GM one wire Alt (most hot rod's use them) if the pully is spinning the alt makes power. the only wire goes to the battery, simple.

I have successfully installed an earlier alternator in my '78 Rally by using the early style external regulator and some easy rewiring.

I'll see if I have the original alternator at my shop to photograph for you.

That alternator looks correct. Here is what (I think) I pulled out of my '78:

Late%20128%20Alternator%20+%20Regulator%20+%20Harness.jpg

And for reference, here is what a mid-year 128 setup looks like. This would have the big external regulator (not shown):

Mid%20Years%20128%20Alternator%20+%20Harness%20(Missing%20External%20Reg).jpg

That is one I need but I can't seem to find one. I have bought two already with the seller indicating its for a 78 but when I get them they are for an early version. I need the three wire connector bushing as shown in the picture.

Back