1973 Fiat 128 Engine Swap

Hello to everybody, greetings from Greece.

I would like to ask you...

Before 2 years i bought a FIAT 128 1976 with a 1300 Ritmo engine and 5th gearbox. Before a few days i swap the engine with a 1500 Ritmo with a hotter camshaft. I use the 32 dmtr weber for now. What setup you suggest? What exhaust type (diameter) and what weber type? The car is slower than the 1300 engine with the 32 dmtr and the old exhaust type.

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest you replace the 32 dmtr weber with a 34 DAT weber. It will bolt on without modification, and will perform well with the hotter cam. I would also try to find a long tube 4 into1 header. The header will add some hp and torque. These are proven bolt on performance modifications.

that's interesting indeed..any further detail of this big block?
Hey!
1600 block, 87mm pistons, 1.9 stroker ZRP crank, ZRP rods, 40/35 big valve cylinder head with 6mm valve stems, racing springs, and titanium retainers for the 1.6 block, 4 yoshimura flat slide carbs..

Last edited:
I just bought a rusted up 85 X19. Planning on pulling the engine this weekend. I read somewhere tho that the 5 speed transmission does not fit into the 128. How did you get yours to fit?
Sorry! I must have missed this question! I used a South American Fiat Regata 5 speed. Bolts straight to a 1300 or 1500, and uses tripode joints(although they are slightly larger than 128's they fit on the axles with only a small modification) I used a stack of 3 Dremel abrasive cut off wheels (they were just the right diameter!) to recess the splines enough to get the joint on far enough to get the c clip to seat. Also had to modify the center mount. Nothing very complicated!

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_172814726.jpg
    IMG_20191027_172814726.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Tripodes_128-Regata.jpg
    Tripodes_128-Regata.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 153
  • Tripode_Before.jpg
    Tripode_Before.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Tripodes_After.jpg
    Tripodes_After.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
kalimera filo and welcome here; from what part of greece?

well a 1500 slower then a 1300 it's strange..are you sure ignition timing it's correct? fuel pump works properly?
Kalispera-greeting from Athens Greece,

The ignition timing i think its wrong, because the setup is for two twins weber and not for one 32dmtr

Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest you replace the 32 dmtr weber with a 34 DAT weber. It will bolt on without modification, and will perform well with the hotter cam. I would also try to find a long tube 4 into1 header. The header will add some hp and torque. These are proven bolt on performance modifications.

Do you know if i can replace the hotter cam with the original cam from 1300 engine?

Kalispera-greeting from Athens Greece,

The ignition timing i think its wrong, because the setup is for two twins weber and not for one 32dmtr
I would suggest you starting your own thread to discuss your car and build.

That way we can address your work and let the creator of this thread have his space and issues answered.

To deal with your 80mph freeway speed problem( I have the same problem here in Sacramento), the first thing you should do is find either a Yugo 4 speed or 5 speed transaxle. That should bolt right in. Then you can look into either building a hotter 1300 or maybe a 1500.

The shift linkage for X1/9 and Yugo/128 are on diff sides of the trans, so it doesn't work. Get a Yugo FI 5 speed.

Yes I think I’d prefer keeping the 4 speed gearbox instead of the 5 speed since I heard there really isn’t much of a difference
The 4 speed trans sucks for any long distance drive, meaning after an hour you'll be part deaf. Of course if you want to drive 60mph, the 4 speed is a good deal. Never pay attention again to whoever told you there was little diff. They never drove 4,500 rpm in a 4 speed Yugo (lightly moded engine) to stay with traffic. A 5 speed you'd be crusing at 90+ mph at those revs. For instance, with not much work a 1500 Fiat engine can be made to have a 5 speed Yugo trans and axles to cruise nicely at 80mph all day. In a big hurry 105MPH crusing is easily done. I tested that in a Yugo I had, with only a bigger exhaust and larger carb.

To deal with your 80mph freeway speed problem( I have the same problem here in Sacramento), the first thing you should do is find either a Yugo 4 speed or 5 speed transaxle. That should bolt right in. Then you can look into either building a hotter 1300 or maybe a 1500.
A Yugo 4 speed is worthless for higher freeway speeds, I have one in my 1.1 Yugo. The Yugo engine without internal mods, just twin Webers, mild cam and larger exhaust can do 105mph, but the insane revs over 80 ruins the fun.

The 1500 will need the oil pan, oil pump and dipstick from the 1300. You will also need the 1300 starter, flywheel and clutch assembly. These are simple bolt ons and just use the parts from the 1300 motor that's already in the car. Otherwise, as noted, it drops right in. Use the exhaust and intake from the 1300 as an X motor sits at a different angle from the 128.

Hello from Australia l am currently building a 1500 for my 128 sedan two door l am slightly confused because some people say you can use the Aluminium sump 🤔has another used a aluminium sump .

Yes, aluminum sump but not from an X/19 as the angle is wrong for a 128...
I have one on my car, + a windage tray and studs..
IMG_20190914_143251845~2.jpg
IMG_20190914_145803065~2.jpg

The engine sits at a different angle in a 128 than it does in an X. So while the X aluminum oil pan will obviously bolt on, it will hold the oil differently as the motor will sit at a different angle in the 128. You need a 128 specific pan and pump.

Back