Fiat 128 rear anti-roll bar

I'll second the vote for the Toyo R888. I run the predecessor, the RA1 as intermediate rain tires, and they're sticky. Another "DOT" option is the new Nankang AR1, which is the hot competitor to the Toyo. Not that great in the rain, though. Available in 13" rim sizes.

no rear sway bar, and I actually ran a shorter rear spring (rate is determned by 'working" length in a transverse leaf setup) which was actually slightly softer than stock in free rate, but the working length was shorter, so the effective wheel rate was higher, but not by a lot over the stock sedan rear leaf.

I personally don't agree with the "accepted" practice of the wagon rear spring in the back, I think it's too stiff myself.

I use 128 coupe springing in my 128 sedan road car.

I have some pics somewhere of my rally 128 competing in a hillclimb and the rear inside wheel is clear of the ground, just. Front springs were stiffer than stock sedan for this car, shorter and thicker wire, but again not by a lot as for rally you need the suspension to be more supple and soak up bumps. I did run VERY stiff strut inserts all around (Tokiko prod- R-G inserts- prduction rally gas -for a nissan of some type adapted, the tokiko struts were very hard on compression)

SteveC

For fast road, I find that nothing can beat a Toyo R888, or R888R... I'm running 185/60-13 right now, but moving to 225/45-13's on 8" Cromadoras as soon as my group2 rally flares are done! Plus another bonus is the Toyo's stay soft all the way down to the cords, they never harden up. I had some Yokohama A048's, but after awhile they got progressively less sticky and more hard... Even worn down past the wear marks, you can still dig your fingernails into the Toyo's....
View attachment 39494

View attachment 39495
That was my plan in 13". I'll see how the 14" A052s work once it warms up. The Federals go on today.

Chris

View attachment 39137

I am looking to kill some understeer on Gus by installing a rear anti-roll bar. Does anyone here know a source for one?

I have spoken to Matt at Mid-West Bayless, Andrea at Classic Performance, and Ed at Addco and their cupboards are bare. If there are seven people who want one, Addco will make seven more kits. Are there seven of us who will commit? Would there be more interest in a 3/4" (19mm) bar instead of the 5'8" (16mm)?

Does anyone want in? Maybe some of the Fiat parts suppliers might want one or two for stock?

Chris

I may depending on pricing, do you have a quote for 7 of them?

In the "old" days of autocrossing a 128 sedan, lowered front and rear, discs/drums, no rear bar, I followed the lead of the Rally drivers when cornering.
You would brake deep into the turn to loosen up the rear. You dragged the brake until it was time to get back on the throttle but instead of releasing the brake you used brake/full throttle out of the turn. This did a couple of things: it kept the rear of the car loose; it limited wheelspin out of the turn, and it kept a slight oversteer that kept the chassis relatively level.
One other thing it did was really confuse the corner workers who always wondered why your brake lights were on when you exited the turn under power.

On the 128 sedan I used to race, I ran a three leaf wagon rear spring along with a rear sway bar. That helped not only minimize understeer, but also help minimize front wheel lift, which is a real speed killer if you're not running a limited slip or welded diff. Ideally, you would be lifting your inside rear wheel in hard cornering like a old Mini. The problem with the 128 sedan is you have to overcome the large front sway bar, so you have to go real stiff in the back to minimize understeer. On my current race car, a 1st Gen Civic, I'm running no front sway bar. The plus to coil overs is that it's easier to set corner weights. No as critical in street cars used for occasion track use. By the time you've got your coil overs dialed in, you'll be shaking some fillings loose.:oops:

Hey Mark,

Do you remember what rear bar you used in your old race 128 sedan? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

Chris

I may depending on pricing, do you have a quote for 7 of them?

Hey Albert,

I don't have a price yet. I have interest for 5 units, including myself. If we can get 2 more, I will get a price from Addco and see if everyone is still on board.

Chris

In the "old" days of autocrossing a 128 sedan, lowered front and rear, discs/drums, no rear bar, I followed the lead of the Rally drivers when cornering.
You would brake deep into the turn to loosen up the rear. You dragged the brake until it was time to get back on the throttle but instead of releasing the brake you used brake/full throttle out of the turn. This did a couple of things: it kept the rear of the car loose; it limited wheelspin out of the turn, and it kept a slight oversteer that kept the chassis relatively level.
One other thing it did was really confuse the corner workers who always wondered why your brake lights were on when you exited the turn under power.

Gene,

I used to slide my old '72 sedan around in the wet easily and used trail braking in the dry to get the car to turn, but could not get the left foot braking smooth enough to be useful on exits. It required a level of finesse that my clutch foot couldn't seem to master. Maybe your autocross car had significantly more power than my stock 1300. Any braking would smother the drive out of corners.

The left foot braking technique got a lot of play in CAR and Driver in the 1970's after Stig Blomqvist schooled Pat Bedard at a 24 HRS of Nelson Ledges showroom stock race. Both of them were in SAAB 99 EMS, IIRC.

Chris

Hey Mark,

Do you remember what rear bar you used in your old race 128 sedan? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

Chris
Wow- that was 23 years ago when I finished the build on my 128. I just looked through my pictures. No underneath pictures that I could find, but I swear it was an off the shelf ADDCO rear sway bar.
Marc

Wow- that was 23 years ago when I finished the build on my 128. I just looked through my pictures. No underneath pictures that I could find, but I swear it was an off the shelf ADDCO rear sway bar.
Marc

Marc,

10-4. It is the only off the shelf rear bar I have ever seen for these cars.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Back