Fiat 128 Steering Rack Woes

Triestino

Daily Driver
Hoping to get some tips/tricks (call it wisdom) for the removal/installation of a stock steering rack on a 128 4 dr sedan. I've been able to get the steering rack somewhat free (removed the two U clamps that hold rack to the firewall and also separated the steering yoke that connects at the bottom of the steering wheel U joint). Given that I'm doing major suspension and drive line work on my car, all control arms, struts, axle shafts etc are out...so plenty of room to get to the steering rack. I tried moving the rack up, down and sideways to have it come out on the passenger side and cannot get the yoke to clear the firewall hole. It get close to coming out but simply won't clear the opening. Is there a trick or something that I'm simply overlooking? :confused:
Can't find much on the internet and the Haynes manual that I have is really light on details.

Last edited:
I don't recall any problems removing the steering racks from my 128s. You have the steering wheel shaft disconnected and completely removed from the splined hub on the steering rack? You have the two large U clamps undone and I believe you said removed from the rack. You have the ball joints to the steering hubs undone from the hubs? The unit should now be totally free from the firewall and unlike the X, it just pulls away from the fire wall, not inside a tunnel like the X. I suspect the rack is hitting on something like the exhaust. I'll see if I have a 128 manual and see what's going on.

Thank you for looking into this Carl. When I attempted to remove the rack, it wasn't touching the exhaust but seemed to bump the gearbox housing just enough to prevent the rack yoke from clearing the firewall hole (needs an additional 5-6mm to clear). I will attempt again in a few hours with hopes of having some success. I will monitor this tread for any updates/thoughts while I continue the effort:)
Thanks again!

P.S. NEG, I will try to take some photos today as it may help others in the future.

Well, after applying some patience and studying the situation as to why the rack would not come out as it should, I realized that in order for the steering yoke to clear the hole on the firewall, the rack needed to be moved upwards while slowly twisting it so that the yoke points downwards. It came out easy peasy and without fuss. Installation was reversal. Regarding photos, I missed the opportunity :oops:but will do my best to capture my notes and some follow-up photos so that others may benefit.

Back