1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiat 500 Abarth Engine Harvesting

Discussion in 'Nuova 500' started by TonyK, Dec 18, 2017.

1. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

IMG_4405.JPG IMG_4436.JPG IMG_4409.JPG Some complain about working on the X1/9, it is too tight, can't get at anything.

Take a few moments to look at the pictures and video here of the Fiat 500 Abarth Engine. There is a lot of hardware in the front of that car that is just as difficult if not worst to work on than an X1/9 engine bay.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

2. RJH

RJH True Classic

Tony,

It would be interesting if you could post what the weight of the finished Abarth X1/9 is compared that that of the published weight weight for the original Bertone X1/9 car; which I think is 2,210 lbs. It would also be interesting what the finished final weight of the car is for the Midwest Bayless K20 X1/9 swap is.

More HP is not always better if you end up with a super heavy and sluggish car.

Perhaps, the smaller 1.4 liter Abarth X1/9 is the way to go v. a K20 when taking the weight into account.

Specs from Fiat website: 160-HP 1.4L MULTIAIRĀ° TURBO ENGINE Every piece of the FIATĀ° 500 Abarth drives desire. The 1.4L MultiAirĀ° Turbo four-cylinder engine aided by twin intercoolers produces up to 160 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque for adrenaline-pumping performance.

MikeHynes and mkmini like this.
  3. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

I took the completed car to the truck weight scales when completed, full fueled AC installed on this car was 2195LBS. A bit more weight in the X engine compartment in my view isn't a bad thing, it will keep the tires planted to the pavement.

Currently I have a stage 2 tune from Open Flash tablet on the engine ECU which produces 177HP. The car is not sluggish.

TonyK>

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    aarpcard, Afretired and mkmini like this.
  4. Roobus

Roobus Orange "K"rusader

My K20 X weighs in at exactly 2000 lbs. 200 hp at the rear wheels