Fiat 500 Turbo engine swap

Hybrid axles made of 500 and x1/9. This is how I measure the length before sending it to the machine shop to make a new ones. This is for 78, with 81 x I tried different approach
IMG_6468.jpeg
IMG_6469.jpeg

Last edited:
Serhiy you said the instrument cluster is from a 500L is the engine also from the same 500L that you got the instrument cluster from? As I understand the engine needs the ECU from the original car and almost everything that goes along with it to work as there is no stand alone ecu available yet to make the engine operate. How hard was it for you to get this all figured out? It seems like you are having not trouble.

Any chance of a step by step conversion process sometime down the road once you have this swap all perfected so that other not so bright people such as myself can follow in your footsteps? I don't live too far from you I would love to meet up with you sometime if you would be willing to go over your swap and talk about it in person. This would be a great tech session for any Fiat club!

Welcome to the forum and please keep sharing your experience with us. Totally awesome!

George

Serhiy you said the instrument cluster is from a 500L is the engine also from the same 500L that you got the instrument cluster from? As I understand the engine needs the ECU from the original car and almost everything that goes along with it to work as there is no stand alone ecu available yet to make the engine operate. How hard was it for you to get this all figured out? It seems like you are having not trouble.

Any chance of a step by step conversion process sometime down the road once you have this swap all perfected so that other not so bright people such as myself can follow in your footsteps? I don't live too far from you I would love to meet up with you sometime if you would be willing to go over your swap and talk about it in person. This would be a great tech session for any Fiat club!

Welcome to the forum and please keep sharing your experience with us. Totally awesome!

George
Instrument cluster from 500L works in any Fiat 500 like POP,Sport,Turbo or Abarth. Connector is the same just plug and play, some modifications required to make it fit into X dash. Took me a couple of years and 3 actual cars that I used to figure everything out.

After spending 2 years figuring all this out I think it’s possible to do this swap in a couple of weeks, given that you have complete Fiat 500 available , free time and help,difficult but possible.

Last edited:
If going for another one, why not give the MaxxECU Race a try? They claim they can handle the Multi Air engine (in theory with their advanced CAN bus) but no one has tried as far as I know.
Maybe they are even willing to sponsor a such project?

If going for another one, why not give the MaxxECU Race a try? They claim they can handle the Multi Air engine (in theory with their advanced CAN bus) but no one has tried as far as I know.
Maybe they are even willing to sponsor a such project?
Because there is nothing wrong with Multi Air ECU

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with it. But more or less the whole electrical system from the donor car must be installed to make it work correctly. Also I think the Maxx is easier to handle if going for serious tuning.
Oh, I see what you mean now. To tune it definitely would need something like the Maxx

When swapping 500 electrical systems into the X you can keep just enough sensors and wires for the engine to run or you can keep as much as you want. You can have a lighting system from 500, you can have a radio with Bluetooth connectivity, you can have a power windows and door locks, ABS, brake booster, alarm system from 500 installed in the X. Currently I am planning on doing another swap this summer and it drives me insane to try to decide how much of 500 wiring I want to keep this time.

Last edited:
When swapping 500 electrical systems into the X you can keep just enough sensors and wires for the engine to run or you can keep as much as you want. You can have a lighting system from 500, you can have a radio with Bluetooth connectivity, you can have a power windows and door locks, ABS, brake booster, alarm system from 500 installed in the X. Currently I am planning on doing another swap this summer and it drives me insane to try to decide how much of 500 wiring I want to keep this time.
It would drive me much more than insane…

Back