Fiat 500 new gauges

and no comments? Surprised, thought they'd be a general outpouring of affection for this new cluster. I like these new gauges very much, think them much better than the old orange ones.

Honestly?

I hate them. I love analog gauges, I hate digital gauges.

In general I like a nice big tacho and a nice big speedometer with at least a coolant and a gas gauge. With a speedometer that actually reflects the top speed of the car and has the most relevant section from 10mph to 50 large enough to actually use and avoid a ticket in a school zone.

The 850 Sport Coupe cluster is my idea of near perfection. To make it perfect I would add an ammeter and an oil pressure gauge to the tachometer and it would be perfect. All you need in one simple easy to read cluster with the most important information large and easy to see.

m4cmBmlWpcE-_Xrmmie097A.jpg

mem21m.jpg

A tach, which is the most dynamic gauge on any automobile, should be larger and given more space than the gas gauge (which on a 500 is about as interesting as watching paint dry given how slowly it should move).

There are things I absolutely love about the 500 and some things I abhor, the cluster on the car is a real cluster... :) OK rant off :) thanks for asking

I mostly agree with you Karl

In general I too like well designed (and placed) old school analog gauges. Your comment about a speedo that accurately reflects the car itself is spot on. In tis case though the original 500 orange cluster was painful, so almost any change was an improvement.

However I do like the long horizontal "wall of gauges" on the 850 Spider over the 850 coupe. Size *does* matter :rolleyes:

The ROW cars get a 6 speed as they lack some reinforcements added to US market cars. It makes it just enough narrower that the 6 won't fit. I was bummed about that.

I have a reservation number for an Elio ($1k all in reservation) but I will NOT be getting those ugly optional gauges.
I like the 850 gauges above as well...

I'm on the Elio list too but at only $100, neve really have $1,000 to "spare" so that'll have to do. The rumor is they might make the Elgin gauges the standard ones!!!

Back