Fiat 500 Service Manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dealer is charging $7.00 for a cartridge and they showed me what to do while my car was on the lift. They didn't like the idea of someone else changing the oil at first, but I told them there would be a time when it wouldn't be convenient for me to get it done at the dealership even with them driving 2 hours one way to pick my car up. I can't complain about my dealer. They have gone way over and beyond what is expected of them. I wish all dealership could be so accommodating.

Amazing.

That is going above and beyond what anyone expects of a dealer or any service provider. On the down side what comes to mind is WHY?

If I read your post correctly a 2 hour drive to pick up the car, a 2 hour return drive to the dealership. An oil change a two hour drive to return the car, then a 2 hour drive to return to the dealership.

What is this costing and who is paying it? Think about it, I would love to understand the lodgic and the dollars and cents of all of this.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

The important thing is I'm not.

I was told when I chose them as my dealer they would provide me with a loaner 500, bring it to me and pick mine up for service. When the service was complete they would bring the car back to me for no charge. They have been to my house twice, left me with a Fiat 500, serviced my car, washed and detailed it and filled it up with gas. I was charged nothing for it.

It's cool that you are helping your son with maintenance of his car, but this is also a good opportunity for you to teach him self-reliance and that the things you cherish in life often take work and sacrifice. Sorry if I sound a little preachy there, but I'm just trying to lend perspective.

I never knew that having to wake up early, going to a dealership, and paying someone else an arm and a leg to do something you could easily do yourself was considered self-reliance. Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic here, I just wanted to poke fun at the hypocrisy of your statement.

:grouphug:

I never knew that having to wake up early, going to a dealership, and paying someone else an arm and a leg to do something you could easily do yourself was considered self-reliance. Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic here, I just wanted to poke fun at the hypocrisy of your statement.

No, I think you misunderstood. The dealer provides FREE* service. That is the point of buying a new car with a warranty and why you want to get to the dealership early on Saturday morning because everyone else who can't get there during the week is lined up to get their free/warrantied service as well.

*It's not really free, but paid for up front with the cost of the warranty already built into the price of the car.

John O.

No, I think you misunderstood. The dealer provides FREE* service. That is the point of buying a new car with a warranty and why you want to get to the dealership early on Saturday morning because everyone else who can't get there during the week is lined up to get their free/warrantied service as well.

*It's not really free, but paid for up front with the cost of the warranty already built into the price of the car.

John O.

I understand, I just don't agree with your statement. Regardless if its free or not.

Learning how to change your own oil or learning how to wake up early and wait in line for someone else to change your oil for you...

Which do you honestly believe teaches self reliance?

You might buy new cars for that reason. That is not the point of buying a new car, its a benefit.

Not to sound stupid.

I am still trying to obtain information about a service manual for the Fiat 500, once that has been obtained, I will work on the car and become self reliant of any dealer or auto service provider. My goal it to be independant.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

You might buy new cars for that reason. That is not the point of buying a new car, its a benefit.

We will have to disagree. In my opinion, the biggest benefit of buying a new car is that everything about it is current. Replacement parts and expert knowledge are all up-to-date and available at ...drum roll please ...the dealer. I especially don't understand eschewing them when most new Fiat dealers are working their asses off to impress and shake off any linger bad feelings from Fiat's last go around. I know I used the phrase "self-reliance" first, but I think we orphaned car owners can get take it too far sometimes, seeing boogie men in dealers and their services where there are none.

For myself, if I thought I could take my X to someone close by who would get oil changes right every time, their work is warrantied, reinstalls the guard plate (not chucking it in a dumpster), has the correct oil and filters on hand so I wouldn't have to source them, disposes the old oil for me, and to get this hassle eliminated FOR FREE, all I'd have to do is show up? Plu-eese... Gonna be sexist here: thats why free oil changes are great for women, because most have zero interest in learning how to do it and maybe they're smarter for it!

John O.

Let me get this straight?

You would go to a dealer before ever lifting the hood of the car you drive?

Are you a dealer? Do you have shares in a dealer?

Please remember You are in the USA I am in Canada. I am on my own, no freebees.

In the USA the Dealer is doing outstanding things to satisfy customers that purchase a new vehicle.

In Canada this is not the case. Dealers charge $100 CND, which is about $105 USD plus 13% tax on parts and labour.

I maintain all of my Vehicles.

1979 Fiat X 1/9
1987 Bertone X 1/9
1985 Mazda RX7
2003 Dodge Ram Pickup Truck
2004 Accura TL
2011 Infinity G37X

And I want to maintain a 2011 Fiat 500 for my son.

Just to let you know here in Canada Acura wants $1145 to change the timing belt on the 3.2 L TL engine plus 13% tax, this service also includes spark plugs.

I have done this twice on the car since new. Material cost about $140, I wish I had your money to throw away at a dealer to do this service. The car now has 255,000 KM, so much for superior knowledge. I will just do it myself. I purchased a service manual from Acura 1004 pages for $75 that includes shipping as well.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Interesting. I wrench on all my cars all the time because I'm cheap and I enjoy "fixing" stuff. If I bought a new car and pre-paid for service I think I might really enjoy just letting someone else do that for once! Eventually though, I'd want to take over and do it all myself, which means I'd want a MANUAL!

The manual will come. Why would Fiat make it a priority to get manuals available to people who buy the car? I doubt 2 dozen people in all of North America even care. They have bigger fish to fry and still I'd bet there will be a manual available by the end of the year or early next year. Calm down people.:pimp:

You would go to a dealer before ever lifting the hood of the car you drive? Are you a dealer? Do you have shares in a dealer?

#1Not if it has the possibility of voiding the warranty. #2 No. #3 No.

...no freebeesIn Canada this is not the case. ...I wish I had your money to throw away at a dealer to do this service.

Tony, am I understanding you right that you think I have to throw away money at the dealer when I've said over and over that it's FREE??? FREE. FREE. FREE. Got it now???? FREE. repeat after me: free service for 3 years or 30k miles. What part of that aren't you getting? Just show up and get your service for free! I understand you arent offered that in Canada, but thats Canada. I'm a fan of the dealer because theyre doing as well or better than the Asian car dealers, not because I'm some sort of mindless shill for them. If it cost and/or they sucked, I wouldn't bother, but in order for them to be competitive with everyone else who offers they same thing, frankly they're just keeping up.

The only thing I can imagine is that the car you bought new is significantly cheaper than the identical one we bought which comes with a service warranty.

John O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back