Fiat 850 Coupe 1967(1000OT)

I"m really digg'n these little coupes. I have one in my shop but it's not mine!! I need one of my own.

I am not getting it to run nice and it has gotten worse and worse to start....
Decided to take a compression test and got a spike on cylinder 3.
I then blew some compressed air in to the plug holes and on cyl 3 I got sprayed on my fingers.
Thought it was fuel, but turns out it was water.....
Now I have taken off the head and found the problem with the gasket, new one on the way....

Cylinder 3.

Results.

Head out.

Head.

Gasket.

Damage between water channel and cylinder 3, looks like also leakage between the cylinders 2 and 3 too....

Waiting for parts......again....

I have started to put the engine back together, this time I am using a Spesso reinforced headgasket hoping it will do a better job.
Some good news, a set of Campagnolo replicas has arrived! Will look exellent on the car, I think! :)

A lot of water in the oil.

Cleaning off the water/oil gunk..

New wheels Campagnolo replica 7x13".

Not a fun job. Hope things go better with the the new head gasket.

Those wheels are going to look magnificent on there.

Can't wait to see overall pics of the car with the new wheels!

I mounted the Campagnolo replicas today, it really fills up the rear wheel arches... tires are 185/60/13.
It is a little too high in the rear on the pictures because the Abarth oil pan is sent off to get metal impregnated(?) It was leaking straight through the aluminium....
It will sit a little lower when the oil and water goes back in.

Looks great, not too much, just enough! You have made excellent choices all along the way.

I mounted the Campagnolo replicas today, it really fills up the rear wheel arches... tires are 185/60/13.

It is a little too high in the rear on the pictures because the Abarth oil pan is sent off to get metal impregnated(?) It was leaking straight through the aluminium....

It will sit a little lower when the oil and water goes back in.

Hi Roar,

Great build so far! I myself am building an 850 Coupe at the moment. I am in the middle of working out what wheels I would like to get.

What is the offset / backspace on the 7x13 campagnola's that you installed? Where did you get them from?

I would love to see a few more picture of the car and wheels in the daylight too please!

Cheers,
Aaron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_2415.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG
IMG_2409.JPG
Hi Roar,

Great build so far! I myself am building an 850 Coupe at the moment. I am in the middle of working out what wheels I would like to get.

What is the offset / backspace on the 7x13 campagnola's that you installed? Where did you get them from?

I would love to see a few more picture of the car and wheels in the daylight too please!

Cheers,
Aaron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, Aaron!

Thank you! I have not yet gotten this thing on the road unfortunately,
The wheels are from Middle barton garage, made by Compomotive. 7x13" , Offset 10mm.
They definitely got the look, but dont know if i can recommend them though..... High price combined with low quality.
You can check them out at www.middlebartongarge.com
I may change mine to 5,5x13" campagnolo replicas from another source in Italy.

Cheers!

Sorry you are not happy with the quality of the rims, they do look very good on the car.

IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG
Yes I was a little shocked, thought Compomotive was a quality company......
We had to use an insane amount of counterweights on the wheels, wonder how they feel on the road.

Not long until spring is here in Norway, thankfully!
Not yet though!:-D

Are you sure it's not the tires?
I some that almost could not be balanced and it turned out it was in the tire.
The tire maker agreed the tire was defective and offered a replacement.

Are you sure it's not the tires?
I some that almost could not be balanced and it turned out it was in the tire.
The tire maker agreed the tire was defective and offered a replacement.

Hi!

The tireguy said it was the wheels, unfortunately.

A little sound and walkaround video.
The first startup/idle in a long time.
I scrapped the DCD and the opened up head, put in a "lady cup" head and DIC1 Weber instead.
So far so good.
I have a manifold for DMTR on the way to test if that works also, will probably give more power.

For now i am just glad that IT works!

Lovely. Sounds great! They always have a little sewing machine sound to them with all the sound concentrated at the one end of the car.

Sounds great.
What is a "lady cup" head?[/

"Lady cup" was a racing series in Sweden in the 80'ies, regulations allowed for porting og the head and 1mm shaved off but the intake hole and valves should be original dimensions. Also allowed to balanse the engine and a hotter cam, but original DMTR Weber.
They ran with around 90-100hp
Anyway with this head i can test other carbs than the DCD. (Witch i have had no luck with)
Now i run a DIC1 with intake manifold matched to the head and IT works better than the DCD.
Next will be the DMTR that was original on the A112 Abarth.

I am happy if i just get IT on the road again!

Lovely. Sounds great! They always have a little sewing machine sound to them with all the sound concentrated at the one end of the car.

Thanks!

It does sound good!

There is also an extra whining noise in this car because of the timing gears instead of the chain or belt.
Almost sounds like a compressor...:)

Aahhh, I was trying to identify that. Mine lacks that nuance, substituting chain slap instead...

The car and I was invited to attend the 2017 Classic Car Show in Oslo, here are some pictures from the event.

IMG_0855.JPG

CDF87776-399E-4241-B671-AAB759A332EA.jpg

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

Last edited:
Back