FIAT 850 SPIDER DOOR HINGE REBUILDING

Frank L. Di Gioia

True Classic
Being of limited computer expertise please note the pictures are in reverse order. Apply penetrating oil to all pins the day before to aid removing press fit pins.
1) Start with removing the door and placing it on a towel. Then remove the pin holding the check strap on the hinge. It's only necessary to push it with a drift enough to allow the strap removal. light taps on the pointed lower end with a drift will do. Secure check strap from falling into the door. Now remove the hinge from the door.
2) Using a slightly larger drift lightly punch the hinge pin enough to allow the parts to be separated. If you remove the pin mark it as to which end was at the top. Wire wheel or steel wool the hinge pin and buff if a buffing wheel is available. This will help on assembly. Use a rat tail file to clean all of the 50+ year old plastic and dirt out of the hinge interior. Don't enlarge the hole, just clean and polish it. A rifle cleaning wire brush is handy to use. Now put a light coating of grease on the pins and interior of the hinges.
3) Press the new bushings into the hinges using a vise or press as shown. If not available a long bolt with washers will also work fine. KEEP SQUARE and go SLOWLY!
The bushings are quite strong and with clean hinge bores and grease all went in perfectly. Backing the hinge body up as shown in second picture drive the hinge pin back in from the "top." Again KEEP SQUARE!
4) install hinges and press door check strap pin back in. Tapping lightly will also work. If a Fiat strap isn't available one from a like era Karmen Ghia will work with slight trimming. DON'T slam the door yet! Carefully insure the door clears the front edge next to the fender and loosen the door striker plate, align, then tighten all screws. Putting masking tape on the front door edge and fender edge will help prevent paint scrapes. Don't ask how I know. Hope this helps. Makes a huge difference in car!

Attachments

• DSCI1284.JPG
    DSCI1284.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCI1283.JPG
    DSCI1283.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCI1282.JPG
    DSCI1282.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCI1281.JPG
    DSCI1281.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCI1280.JPG
    DSCI1280.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCI1280.JPG
    DSCI1280.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 218
Being of limited computer expertise please note the pictures are in reverse order. Apply penetrating oil to all pins the day before to aid removing press fit pins.
1) Start with removing the door and placing it on a towel. Then remove the pin holding the check strap on the hinge. It's only necessary to push it with a drift enough to allow the strap removal. light taps on the pointed lower end with a drift will do. Secure check strap from falling into the door. Now remove the hinge from the door.
2) Using a slightly larger drift lightly punch the hinge pin enough to allow the parts to be separated. If you remove the pin mark it as to which end was at the top. Wire wheel or steel wool the hinge pin and buff if a buffing wheel is available. This will help on assembly. Use a rat tail file to clean all of the 50+ year old plastic and dirt out of the hinge interior. Don't enlarge the hole, just clean and polish it. A rifle cleaning wire brush is handy to use. Now put a light coating of grease on the pins and interior of the hinges.
3) Press the new bushings into the hinges using a vise or press as shown. If not available a long bolt with washers will also work fine. KEEP SQUARE and go SLOWLY!
The bushings are quite strong and with clean hinge bores and grease all went in perfectly. Backing the hinge body up as shown in second picture drive the hinge pin back in from the "top." Again KEEP SQUARE!
4) install hinges and press door check strap pin back in. Tapping lightly will also work. If a Fiat strap isn't available one from a like era Karmen Ghia will work with slight trimming. DON'T slam the door yet! Carefully insure the door clears the front edge next to the fender and loosen the door striker plate, align, then tighten all screws. Putting masking tape on the front door edge and fender edge will help prevent paint scrapes. Don't ask how I know. Hope this helps. Makes a huge difference in car!

I did the same thing when I restored my 850 Spider. Those Karman Ghia straps were a good find.
7C6719BE-BBCB-448F-B874-7765DC9598A4.jpeg
E2A99921-F5E8-40DB-BF66-269B2CB6C361.jpeg

Hi brett here I have a 1970 sport spider 850 my door pins are gone and the price to get them are really high.can you tell me the diameter of pins and size of bushings to try to make them thanks brett

Back