Fiat Abarth 1300/124 - an extensive restoration project.

Happy Thanksgiving.
My 850 coupe had many pinholes in the longitudinal heater pipes. While you have access, you might consider replacing the pipes with stainless steel so coolant leaks do not attack you later. My "quick fix" was partial resection of the pipes and replacement of the perforated portions with rubber hose.

Happy Thanksgiving.
My 850 coupe had many pinholes in the longitudinal heater pipes. While you have access, you might consider replacing the pipes with stainless steel so coolant leaks do not attack you later. My "quick fix" was partial resection of the pipes and replacement of the perforated portions with rubber hose.
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving.
My heater pipes were badly corroded at the ends (not uncommon). I was lucky to have a couple of parts coupes and was able to use a pair of them. Still, I had to cut the ends off on one end of them and tig weld on new ends from one of the other cars. The hard part was getting them in and out due to the curved ends at both ends. I drilled out the spot welds on the tunnel and raised the rear end enough to get the pipes in and out.

The 1300s have 9 sections of aluminum coolant pipes from the engine up to the front radiator. The ends on some of them are quite corroded. I'll probably need to get new pieces welded on but I'm not sure where to find new tubing with the same metric dia. and wall thickness. If I'm lucky, I might be able to just cut some of the tubing off and use longer hoses. Also trying to figure out a way to clean the insides and two of them are about 5' long.

Back