Fiat Barchetta Anyone?

Cratecruncher

True Classic
As everyone knows the USA will allow import of vehicles over 25 years old into the country now despite having never been legal to import when new. The first Barchettas were 1995 model year so if I did my math correctly we only have about 5 months before the onslaught of under 5k kilometer Barchettas come rolling off the boat for $5k or less. Haha, one can dream.
251e3198e8d7328325f4eef4b3b811cb777781c7.jpg
6794489e44f6c5b2adca9710c4edf8970b6c2006.jpg
43454c25786c673d44334946620621a7ab9bbd30.jpg

There was a Barchetta for sale here in MO way back in 2007. It had a special vehicle VIN plate from the state and I figured it was brought back from overseas by someone in the military. That was just a guess, but it was for sale near a base here in MO. Here are the pictures i saved from that sale:
barchetta_mo_reg3.JPG barchetta_mo_reg4.JPG barchetta_mo_reg5.JPG barchetta_mo_reg6.JPG barchetta_mo_reg.JPG barchetta_mo_reg1.JPG barchetta_mo_reg2.JPG

I've also heard a rumor that folks in foreign diplomatic circles sneaked a few in. Most people have been hesitant to buy one because these cars were a crap shoot whether the local registration office would title them. But in 2020 a 1995 is good to go! Checking UK listings there are a few still around for about $8,000.

There was a Barchetta for sale here in MO way back in 2007. It had a special vehicle VIN plate from the state and I figured it was brought back from overseas by someone in the military. That was just a guess, but it was for sale near a base here in MO. Here are the pictures i saved from that sale:
View attachment 24538 View attachment 24539 View attachment 24540 View attachment 24541 View attachment 24542 View attachment 24543 View attachment 24544

I seem to remember a Barchetta on ebay titled as a '70s or '80s 124. Not sure what happened to that one.

Recently there was a thread that discussed something about the X1/9 being sent to Mazda as a prototype for the Miata or such (made no sense to me). However these Barchettas look alot more like a Miata and I would believe it if you told me there had been a deal done there.

d82adffef9a14301dd6fa3b58f6ea504a0cad339.jpg
Since the MX-5 predates the Fiat by about 5 years I'd imagine the influence was from East to West for once (and yeah, the influence is undeniable). The new Fiat Spyder is literally a reskinned Miata out of the same building in Japan. I guess if you can't beat 'em join 'em eh?

The Barchetta shares it's oily bits with the mass produced Punto of the same years so parts are plentiful, at least in Europe. Anyone that has slung a Punto into the twisties will agree the front drive is more than up to the job of putting a smile on your face. The twin cam, 16 valve head pumps out 130 hp. Not bad for a chick car.

As everyone knows the USA will allow import of vehicles over 25 years old into the country now despite having never been legal to import when new. The first Barchettas were 1995 model year so if I did my math correctly we only have about 5 months before the onslaught of under 5k kilometer Barchettas come rolling off the boat for $5k or less. Haha, one can dream.
View attachment 24535 View attachment 24537 View attachment 24536

I'm seeing more Lancia Delta Integrales being imported to the US now, also.

I love vintage Euro cars...but as nice as the Barchetta is...It is still Wrong Wheel Drive. It is kind of funky, though.

I'd rather have an MGF, if we are talking old drop tops under the 25 year rule...or, if we are talking stupid money, a Mk I Lotus Elise (covered headlights, please) or Renault Sport Spider.

Neat car, I would own one.

The design is from the period when several Americans were in the Fiat studios, I believe this car was designed by one of them and the Fiat Coupe was designed by another. (Chris Bangle later of BMW fame).

The Barchetta certainly looks like a small boat. I love the waterline down the side fo the car and the mustache across the front or is it bow wave. In any case a very interesting little car which would likely be a hoot to drive.

I would want to start gathering parts for the future the moment I bought it though

Here are some pix of a Barchetta that was at FFO 2009 In Valley Forge, PA.

IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG

They look so good in orange! A detail I really like is the hidden door handle, something I remember seeing on the 300SL Gullwings. The handle pops out when you push the little tab with your thumb. I can just imagine having to explain that to every new passenger as they stare confusedly at the door.

Attachments

• DSC04902.jpg
    DSC04902.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 58
They are real fiats so the rust just as fast as x19. In the Netherlands jou can but a lhd car from 2000 euro. In the Netherlands a lot of x19 clubmembers also oen a barchetta
Now Martijn we all know Fiats don't rust any worse than any other car. That is, unless you accidentally get it wet or drive through a patch of elevated humidity on the interstate.:p

For me it would have to be the 20valve turbo coupe
Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 2.00.40 PM.png

The 90's styling with the inline 5 cylinder howl is how I like my front wheel drivers!

Back