Fiat Olympics

fastx19

Administrator
I figured I would start a thread, in honor of all of the countries competing in the Olympics in Japan right now.

So, in this case I think we should come up with some events and see who might place with medals in it.

For example:

Transaxle Relay. In this hotly contested event, athletics will discuss how man times they have swapped out a transmission in a single day.

For me, the number was . First time in, forgot the throw out bearing, second time, reverse idler was upside down, causing the transmission to lock, third time I forgot what it was, but finally, on the forth attempt, we were successful. Got it down to 30 minutes to take the transmission out, on the bench, crack the case, fix the issue, and back in the car. Note, all of this is the 4 speed on a 128 and this was done all in a single day.

Who else has an Olympic moment they would like to put in for consideration?

3 At the track "in the field", remove gearbox to replace clutch and reinstall, remove broken gearbox after a session and reinstall, forgot throw out bearing so do it over again. These were 5 speed units.

I would like to suggest the pedal box rebuild, master cylinder swap and reservoir hose replacement as a "triathlon" type event.

my best time to do all 3 is about 2 hours.

At the track, between qualifying and the race - 2hrs to change out the trans because reverse was "inoperative":rolleyes:. Fortunately only had to do it once.:)

Rebuilding my engine. Now 21 years. The engine is rebuild but it took me so long that I have to rebuild every hydraulics part in the car...o_O

If you're doing 70 in the rain, do you need a top?
Michigan rain. For sure.. a sprinkle, snow, no problem. I am rethinking it, and maybe just see who can go from the driver's seat buckled up to putting the top on and back in the seat buckled up the fastest

Odie

OK 27.6 seconds. I could shave time by switching to the gas lift vs rod. Not have issues opening it. And practice practice practice.
This is full buckled in, frunk "locked" and top clasps done

Odie
+1 second, You had to buckle up

Michigan rain. For sure.. a sprinkle, snow, no problem. I am rethinking it, and maybe just see who can go from the driver's seat buckled up to putting the top on and back in the seat buckled up the fastest

Odie
OK 27.6 seconds. I could shave time by switching to the gas lift vs rod. Not have issues opening it. And practice practice practice.
This is full buckled in, frunk "locked" and top clasps done

Odie
That was hilarious. I have been that man. Really wanted the struts on the deck thats for sure.

The Miata is also very quick unless you had the tonneau cover on in which case you are screwed.

I would always keep my frunk unlatched when I had the top up front but a lot of that is based on having an early X with the latch hidden in the glove compartment. So if your rules required starting and ending with a latched frunk that'd surely make the older X1/9s slower.

I would always keep my frunk unlatched when I had the top up front but a lot of that is based on having an early X with the latch hidden in the glove compartment. So if your rules required starting and ending with a latched frunk that'd surely make the older X1/9s slower.
Rules are only there if you get caught. :) I say let's see whatcha got :)

Odie

Back