Fiat Regata / Ritmo driveshaft compatibility

I don't know if the length is correct, but the tripode splines are the same as the X19 and 128 but the bearings themselves are larger in diameter.. you can fit the smaller tripode to the axle...

Attachments

• Tripodes_128-Regata.jpg
    Tripodes_128-Regata.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 51
Ok, so I can now resolve this one: definitely incompatible :(

As can be seen below, the long shaft is considerably longer than the corresponding X1/9 (4 speed) long shaft:

IMG_2315.jpg

This photo shows the difference in total length (the outer CVs are parallel with each other):

IMG_2316.jpg

As @Lowtechprime kindly pointed out, the tripods are also bigger (although can be swapped for the smaller ones). See above, and below:

IMG_2317.jpg

One interesting feature of these is that the boots are different for the long vs. short shafts. On the long shaft, there is a seal that fits snugly over the axle which rotates within a seal in the boot (rather than a seal that rubs against the axle, as per in the X1/9 variant). This would appear to be a superior design (the reason I'm looking into all of this is that despite two attempts, my inner boots still leak gearbox oil to a certain degree :mad:).

Here are some photos of the boot on the long drive shaft. Note in the first photo there is a clamp holding the outer part of the boot with the seal:

IMG_2319.jpg

Here is the same boot from the inside:

IMG_2321.jpg

The shorter drive shaft is much more similar to the 4 speed X1/9 one, although again, too long:

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

In this case the inner boot is actually very similar to the X1/9 one (although on the X1/9 the boot is the same on both sides). So on the Ritmo / Regata, only the boot on the short drive shaft is similar to the 4 speed X1/9:

IMG_2326.jpg

As on this side the boot has a seal that rubs on the axle, it is imperative that the axle has a perfect finish. For this "new" driveshaft, that was unfortunately not the case (I think it was remanufactured rather than new):

IMG_2329.jpg

So the conclusion is that Ritmo / Regata driveshafts are NOT compatible with an X1/9. Some important lessons though:

• on the longer shaft, the inner boot / seal arrangement is vastly superior. So shortening one of these for both sides might be an interesting experiment.
  • on the shorter shaft, the inner boot is similar but different to that used on the X1/9. It looks like it is listed for Pandas and even Fiat 127s. Some even have cross listings for an X1/9.
Basically it comes down to:

Standard style (4177472):

1621028695932.png

Alternative style (92601217 / 92601216 / 92601255 / 4220475):

1621028753011.png

The alternative would "appear" to be a drop in substitute with the advantage of having the seal sitting is a slightly different position. If you have a ring worn into one of your driveshafts from the rubbing of the seal, this might be a useful tip as the different boot will now rub on a different part of the shaft.

Cheers,
Dom.

Last edited:
Back