Fiat Rescue Society, chapter 2, 1987 Bertone

kmead

Old enough to know better
And so it starts...

IMG_6010.JPG
IMG_6008.JPG

Its old plate, given as a fine gift to my garage by the owner. A huge thanks for this!

IMG_6011.JPG

Last edited:
Does the truck need to match the X's paint? Or can you use any ol' tow vehicle for a FRS rescue? :p

Good luck with your trip.

Totally have to coordinate, gotta be fancy...a happy accident in this case.

So far so good. Nearly to Fort Wayne...;)

Last edited:
Where is this coming from? You are taking it back to GR? This would be #4 for you? I feel like such a slacker! Always happy for a rescue!
Regards

IMG_6013.JPG
IMG_6014.JPG

Made it home safe and sound, one minor bit of damage from one of the tie down strap turn buckles on the underside of the front fender forward of the wheel well. Sigh.

You can see it parked in the front yard next to its stablemate, my wife's Miata.

Attachments

• IMG_6013.JPG
    IMG_6013.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 48
Where is this coming from? You are taking it back to GR? This would be #4 for you? I feel like such a slacker! Always happy for a rescue!
Regards

We picked it up in Cincinnati at noon, drove to Coldwater and then on to Grand Rapids. A lot of hours in the truck as we started at 630am and I arrived home a bit after 7pm.

No you are smart, I have too many projects and none of them are moving forward at a rate I am happy with.

I am very happy to have it.

love it!!!! one of these days I have make it to one of the meetups in GR. I mean I am only about an hour away

Odie

Good deal. I hope it doesn't need as much as my '87, which quickly went from a "fix-it-up" project to a full head-on restoration.

Thanks. Won't know for a bit, it does have needs that is for sure. Today it will get the first baths to try and remove a bit of "patina". You can see some images of the progress towards a shiny paint condition, it will take a few tries.

So far, the starter won't crank, I can hear the fuel pump, the lights do work, all the lid latches are now functional and I have verified that it may be possible to get the paint to shine given the experiments so far today.

I will definitely need some trim parts as the exterior plastics have taken a beating. Oddly the dash isn't cracked and the door to the glove compartment stays open, it doesn't stay closed but it does stay up of its accord.

All of the cad plated parts in the engine bay are nasty, lots of rusty guck in there I will need some alternative parts for in there. There is a lot of work to be done in the engine bay.

So far some rust in area of the clutch and brake fluid tanks zone and the channel in front of the front edge of the front trunk lid. Very minor rust at the drain hole where the ignition module lives and the fuel filler on the other side. Minor paint chips in a variety of places. I think there is a rust hole in the passenger floor near the drain, I suspect that the undercoating closed the drain tab.

Likely wont' do much this week as I will be out of town much of the week and the same with the next so don't expect much progress.

IMG_6506.JPG
IMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6483.JPG
IMG_6484.JPG
IMG_6485.JPG
IMG_6470.JPG

I'm really excited that you are enjoying it! Keep working on it!!
Thanks it is a good workout. I need to try a more mechanized way of removing some of the oxidation.

Still haven't gotten the starter motor to kick over. More travel tomorrow so it will have to wait until Saturday to try the next attempt which will be some short term added wiring to ensure the solenoid is receiving the right amount of power...

I'm kinda surprised that you are pulling red paint off the exterior panels of the car, an '87 would have originally been a base coat/clear coat system. Repaint with a single stage?

I'm kinda surprised that you are pulling red paint off the exterior panels of the car, an '87 would have originally been a base coat/clear coat system. Repaint with a single stage?

I have seen no evidence of any repainting. Perhaps the clear coat has completely flaked/worn off. There is some clear coat still on the rear spoiler but most of that has flaked off.

Were the solid colors actually clear coated?

Back