Fiat Rescue Society, chapter 2, 1987 Bertone

Yes. My black 86 had a couple small areas where the clear was peeling.

I have seen no evidence of any repainting. Perhaps the clear coat has completely flaked/worn off. There is some clear coat still on the rear spoiler but most of that has flaked off.

Were the solid colors actually clear coated?
I was wrong in assuming all colors on later cars were clear coats. Looking at the Dupont Historical Paint site for FIATs in the 1985-1988 time frame, some colors were and some not. As a rule, if the paint name has "metallic" in it, the indicator dot is next to it to denote a "two-coat color" which means base coat/clear coat. For example, there's a 601 Nero Profundo that's not a clear coat, and a 602 Nero Metallic that is a clear coat. Does you car still have the paint label on the underside of the decklid? If so, the paint code number would help "clear" this up :)

Last edited:
Looks identical to mine when I got it (just not as rusty ;) )- definitely no clear coat - it was the same single stage red used for late 80's - 90's Volvo 240, 700 & 850 models (Volvo 601 red). Since I cut up my trunk lid, can you tell me what the paint code actually is when you get back to it?

9_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Code 886 is listed on the 1985-1986 chip chart as "Rosso L8513", and on the 1986-1987 list of "carryover" colors as 886 Rosso Ferrari L8513. Neither designation has the dot to denote a two coat color, so that definitely confirms what you and Hussein already know, that particular Red is a single stage paint and not a clear coat paint.

Does it look like there's a lot of thickness to work with? Maybe a local body shop supply house or body shop would let you try out their paint thickness gizmo to see how much you have to work with?

I suspect its a bit thin in spots as there are a few edges where it is worn through showing the white undercoat, the result of a ham handed motorized polisher (not me, existing).

The nice thing is if I can get some paint mixed to match the color of what the car actually is now, I could spot paint panels.

A later bridge for sure...

Looks identical to mine when I got it (just not as rusty ;) )- definitely no clear coat - it was the same single stage red used for late 80's - 90's Volvo 240, 700 & 850 models (Volvo 601 red). Since I cut up my trunk lid, can you tell me what the paint code actually is when you get back to it?

9_0004.jpg

It just dawned on my that you used to have side trims. What kind of shape are they in? Mine are cooked on the surfaces the sun could reach. Any chance these are available for sale? Many thanks.

It just dawned on my that you used to have side trims. What kind of shape are they in? Mine are cooked on the surfaces the sun could reach. Any chance these are available for sale? Many thanks.

Hi Karl - I sold the trim years ago, sorry.

What usually works to treat faded plastic trim is a carefully applied heat gun. Example on the bumper trim on an old 850 of mine

IMG_1203.jpg

Hi Karl - I sold the trim years ago, sorry.

What usually works to treat faded plastic trim is a carefully applied heat gun. Example on the bumper trim on an old 850 of mine

IMG_1203.jpg

No worries, faded I can live with, these actually have a texture of their own like I have never seen.

I will check with Bob Grasch and I do know that they are available new from our fine vendor in the Netherlands. Course if I get them from him there is a whole list of toys I might consider...

At the moment the goal is to get it cleaned up and running. After that I am thinking about early type bumpers with a flexible block retaining the bumper shock and then start a number of upgrades to brakes and the engine.

Did you ever find an existing spray can paint that looks like a decent match? I will check with a vendor that makes touch up paint: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/indexsidebarnoslider.htm
They don't have the 866 color listed but hopefully they can make it.

I would be satisfied with a car I can drive for the summer that doesn't look like the dogs breakfast...either way a few vendors will have some increased income as a result of me buying this to make it reliable.

IMG_6158.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG
Clean up continues and it started! I think the ignition switch is somewhat suspect as the starter finally engaged and it ran, poorly and not for long, but it ran.

Also started cleaning some things up in the trunk and engine bay. I will need to acquire new trunk carpets for the rear as they are in rough shape.

Lots of squirrel/mouse stuff. Yecchh

Some pics of the areas in question, using some degreaser and my trusty power washer

Thanks. A long long way to go.

It started and after a lot of tapping on injectors and running the starter much too long, it now runs on all four cylinders. Drove it up and down the neighborhood slowly with iffy brakes.

Second gear is complete toast so I expect some new education in the near future. Fun times. I am going to shift this to a new thread in the workshop forum.

Rustoleum Sunrise Red is a shockingly close match to 866.
Excellent! I thought someone had mentioned a good alternative. I figure in the trunk and other minor areas a close substitute would serve well and not require me to get some mixed paint.

Thank you very much Carl.

But look at the curve on that thing, its beauty! I will be making them available on the FS section soon, all will be custom curved on a genuine X1/9 and can be cut for different amounts of opening...Get yours now!

Back