Fiat X 1/9 2021 Tommaso D'Amico

I'm not a fan. The windshield is too sloped, the rear of the targa bar too sloped and the rear end looks stubby. I don't like the shape of the hood either. The X is an angular wedge, it looks like they kinda went the MR2 melted bar of soap way. While that looked good with the MR2 I think too much was taken from Mazda here. I think it's close to being awesome but needs a lot of tweaks IMO. They did do a great job though, very impressive.

Yeah, this is just fun stuff. Seen a bunch of it - not just this one but a couple of earlier threads about the same thing. I just don't see how there's a market for something like an X1/9 anymore. I wish there were, but I just don't see it...

The thing that drew me to the X1/9 back in the day was that it was not just a low cost car, not just European, but also mid-engine rear wheel drive AND a targa top. Bonkers. The first time I saw one in person was at a south Seattle Boeing sponsored autocross and WOW was I amazed. Made my '77 Rabbit/Golf Mk.1 (what I thought was cool at the time) with a heavily warmed up engine and suspension mods look like a weak/lame has been - and I really loved that Rabbit.

Kids today want electric stuff and I understand it but don't want it. To do a mid-engined modern X1/9 with the targa etc would mean it weighs probably 2800-3000 lbs (1270-1360kg). Emissions, airbags, bumpers etc. Ick! I'd certainly buy a modern day version of an X1/9 but won't hold my breath. There are still some few thousands of X1/9's available and lots of options to make it as you like.

That is my opinion. But... I like to dream and appreciate Henk posting the dreams of this designer. I love it. Who knows...

Yeah, my neighbors boys, 20 and 28, have no interest in owning cars at all. I think there would be a market for a modern X IF it was true to what the X was.

LOW COST, convertible, sporty handling. IMO if a car like that were on he marker and you were an 18 year old gear head and your choice was Geo Metro, Toyota Echo, Fiat X1/9 which would you chose? I know what I would chose.

I don't want to digress too much from the thrust of this thread, but in response to some of the reactions above, I am pleased to report that my youngest son, 25, who drives a 2017 Mustang GT 6 speed as his daily driver, and whose previous cars have been a 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T 383 4 speed and 1971 Firebird Formula 400 (listing these just to show what a hardcore muscle car guy he is) has become completely taken by our '85 X1/9. The style and driving dynamics of the car really turn him on. If a modern version could be produced that captured even a portion of what the original offered, while adding a dose of horsepower, I would hope that those of the current young-driver generation that actually want to drive cars would be won over with a test drive.

Back