Fiat X1/9 Abarth Engine Swap Trouble shooting.

TonyK

True Classic
I have a running an responding engine. Although I was faced with several DTC's ( Diagnostic Trouble Codes) sorting through them can be a challenge.

In the word's of Bob Martin's son who worked for Lexus, today's cars are monitored and protected. Fill the gas tank and put a brick on the gas pedal and the engine will run until it runs out of gas and any problem that arises the ECU will protect the engine.

I was faced with several DTC's and sometimes one problem triggers several.

P2138 Gas pedal Correlation
P1403 Camshaft timing.
P0237 Turbo Boost Sensor Low
P16A0 Throttle Motor Error Position
P2122 Accellerator Pedal Circuit 1 Low
Where to start. Well not at the problem, but here is what I found that caused all of this.

IMG_1571.JPG

So that explains a lot.

I have taken another video of the engine running correctly. There is a bit of smoke because when the engine was in the test body I did not have the vacuum pump connected and a fair bit of oil from the turbo charger entered the plenum, this will take a while to burn out.

https://youtu.be/T-qS2wVeLmU

Also see this video about the Turbo Charger throwing oil.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

( I have not looked into the horn blowing issue yet)

Last edited:
I have a running an responding engine. Although I was faced with several DTC's ( Diagnostic Trouble Codes) sorting through them can be a challenge.

In the word's of Bob Martin's son who worked for Lexus, today's cars are monitored and protected. Fill the gas tank and put a brick on the gas pedal and the engine will run until it runs out of gas and any problem that arises the ECU will protect the engine.

I was faced with several DTC's and sometimes one problem triggers several.

P2138 Gas pedal Correlation
P1403 Camshaft timing.
P0237 Turbo Boost Sensor Low
P16A0 Throttle Motor Error Position
P2122 Accellerator Pedal Circuit 1 Low
Where to start. Well not at the problem, but here is what I found that caused all of this.

View attachment 25871

So that explains a lot.

I have taken another video of the engine running correctly. There is a bit of smoke because when the engine was in the test body I did not have the vacuum pump connected and a fair bit of oil from the turbo charger entered the plenum, this will take a while to burn out.

https://youtu.be/T-qS2wVeLmU

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

( I have not looked into the horn blowing issue yet)
Awesome as usual!!!

Dang. Seems odd that they also use the vacuum pump to maintain crankcase draw through, and that it backs up the drain so quickly without that extra draw (when system is in normal closed from atmosphere state.

Congrats on getting it running - that ETM connector was the net culprit for all those codes???

Dang. Seems odd that they also use the vacuum pump to maintain crankcase draw through, and that it backs up the drain so quickly without that extra draw (when system is in normal closed from atmosphere state.

Congrats on getting it running - that ETM connector was the net culprit for all those codes???
Some of the codes were generated by the open connector, but the shop towel in the plenum was the issue for most of the codes.

As for the vacuum pump, never thought it would matter as much as it did. The compressor threw oil thorough out the intake system.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Last edited:
Back