Fiat X1/9 euro bumper conversion brackets

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Yes they are finally available.

These special brackets are for mounting 73-78 euro spec. bumpers on later model ('79 up) X1/9s. A simple bolt on solution. No cutting - no welding - no drilling. They simply bolt on in minutes. I think they should also work on 75-78 U.S. spec. models, but I have not yet tried. Of course all X1/9s from '79 on worldwide shared the same bumpers and mounts.

They will NOT work with the '74 U.S. spec. bumpers. Although the bumpers look similar, they are in fact completely different in their mounts.

Fitting the euro spec. bumpers is not as easy as you would think. Although the bumpers fit over the outer bodywork fine, the mounting points on the early euro chassis are totally different and thus the euro brackets cannot be used (I know, I bought some and tried). Nor could they be modified to fit.

I finally concluded that the only way was to design and fabricate some new brackets from scratch. I decided to make a few extra copies to try to recoup some of my expenses.

They basically bolt on in place of the existing bumper shocks.

Tubes are sturdy 14 gauge 409 stainless steel.

Plates are laser cut 1/4" thick steel. The programming and set-up charges were quite substantial - especially since I had to re-do them several times to get it right.

After finally perfecting a set of prototypes, then a jig was made for each of the 4 brackets so that totally accurate finished products could be reproduced.

Epoxy paint coated - 3 coats - black satin

These brackets simply bolt on to the stock euro bumpers using their existing captive nuts. Note that the mounting holes on my brackets are slotted to allow adjustment while fitting - as I'm sure that not all X1/9 chassis and bumpers are exactly alike.

I have read complaints about the design of the original euro brackets. Look closely at the original and you will see that the rubber bumper blocks are - especially in the front - quite inboard of the bumper mounts and not at all supported by the original brackets. Any impact - which is most likely to be taken by the block - apparantly results in the inner ends of the bumper folding in and crushing the nose sheetmetal. Note I have extended the bracket to support the block as well. This should cure that flaw.....but I don't think I'd want to be the one to test it out....
I have tried to design - the fronts at least - so that in a minor impact the bracket will just bend and absorb most of the impact.

Because my brackets simply bolt on in minutes and require absolutely no alterations to the stock chassis or bodywork, you could - although I don't know why you would want to - revert back to the stock bumpers at any time. I seem to have this strange belief that it's okay to modify or update or backdate my X - as long as it is reversible.

Anyway, I have made up a few extra sets because I know that there are a bunch of you out there who have acquired some euro bumpers but can't quite figure out how to mount them.

They are finished and ready to ship.

Although the finished product looks pretty simple, believe me it was anything but ! Try bending 1/4" steel. The tubes had to be hydraulically reduced in diameter at both ends - differently - so that the big rubber grommets would fit into the tubes openings......

I went to a great deal of trouble - and expense - to try do everything right. I have made the brackets as inconspicous as possible. Tubing is stainless steel. Paint is 3 coats of automotive chassis epoxy. I had them professionally welded. The large mounting holes were done precisely at a machine shop on a large milling machine. All needed nuts, bolts, and washers are included and are zinc plated grade 8.8 . The nuts and bolts are the type with integral serrated washer. Sticky pads are 3M automotive grade.

Although I was able to do most of the work myself, it still involved about 10 different outside suppliers and subcontractors. By the time I figured out just how involved the the project was, I was too far along to back out, so I forged ahead and completed one batch. I'm telling you this to explain why this will most likely be a one-time only batch. I hope I made enough to cover demand.

So if you want some, I would suggest you order them before they are gone. Fair warning.

Set of 4 brackets, complete with neccessary bolts, nuts, washers :

Only $199 Canadian or U.S.$ plus shipping.

For those of you overseas, I would require Paypal payment in Canadian $. For England, I think this works out to about 125 pounds. For Europe, this is about 140 euros. For Australia, I think our dollars are close to par.

Please post here or PM me for a shipping quote and Paypal info.

Please fell free to post any questions or comments.

Thanks, Doug

X19_469.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Towing eyes

Well after I got my beautiful euro bumpers installed, I found that the original front towing eyes were a bit of an eyesore and stuck out way too much for my liking.

But I really didn't want to just chop them off. Now not that I thought my X would never need to be dragged home on the end of a tow rope or on a flatbed, but....somehow it didn't seem right to have no eyes or holdowns, so....

I designed new towing eyes and had them laser cut. Looks WAY better now.

This does involve chopping off the originals (a hacksaw worked fine) and drilling one hole. The second hole uses an existing bolt. At least no welding.

I had a few extra made in case anyone here wants some.

Made of 1/4" steel plate. Epoxy painted - 3 coats - black satin. Supplied with grade 8.8 zinc plated nuts and bolts (serrated flanged type).

Only $30 a pair plus postage.

Please post here or PM me if you are interested.

As I only had 3 more pairs made than the bumper brackets, I will restrict sales - after the first three sets sold - to those purchasing my bumper brackets. If anyone purchasing the brackets does not want the towing eyes then those towing eyes will be released for sale.

Thanks, Doug

Before

After

Very nice but...

How hard would it be to modify these brackets so US bumpers would fit? I have a few sets of US bumpers that I can use and would like to install a set on an 85 X. I love the solution, just be nice if we had one for the US bumpers. I can send you a set to use for testing if you like. In fact, if you want, I will trade you a set of 74 US bumpers for a set of mounting blocks. Might open up more options for the US market since there are more US bumpers floating around out there. Thanks

I would like a shipping quote for shipping this to Norway? Bumper. Conversion brackets and tow eye mod brackets. 1complete set.

I may be interested in more than Ine set.

Hi Doug,

I would love a set of the bumper brackets so I can fit my Euro bumpers to my 87 car. Great work! Saves me many hours of head scratching.

I'll get the funds together so I can transfer via Paypal early next week. Hope that's okay. Please save me a set! I am certain I want them!

Regards,

Mickey

So these would let you fit the Cascu Fiberglass replica bumpers to a UK car?

I'd be interested in a set in the Uk too- double up and save on postage??

US bumper brackets

Hello Brett,
I sold several sets of the US brackets made to the same specs as these fine looking brackets except I used Cro-moly instead of stainless. The stainless is a nice touch, strong and rustproof. I can appreciate the engineering and finish work that Doug put into those Euro brackets. That is a lotta work. I am impressed with the extra effort to make a jigs too. You can see drawings of the USA bumper brackets here: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/19376/.
Bob T

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

Well thank you all so much for all your very kind posts and PMs.

I am sorry I have not posted sooner, but my internet access is very limited. I have finally replied to all the PMs. There seemed to be a problem late last night with the server here, so if you have not received a reply to your PM just let me know.

As for shipping costs:

To USA I will be shipping via UPS ground. There are different rates depending on your location (I would need your zip code) but so far they have ranged from $24 - $36. This includes all customs duties, fees, and brokerage charges. On top of that there is a $2.50 surcharge for a residential delivery so if you can give me a business or commercial address you can avoid that. Delivery would be about 2 to 6 days.

To Canada - UPS again or Post Office, depending on location. Probably about $20.

To England and Europe - and I am surprized by the the number of overseas enquiries I have been getting - shipping from Canada overseas is for some reason grossly expensive. For example, UPS want about $250 Canadian !! I would need your Postal Code for a firm quote but it looks like Post Office would be about $70-$80 and take about 4 to 6 weeks. I think I have found another company who will do it by air - about 1 week delivery - for a reasonable cost. So for now - with me picking up a portion of the cost - I will ship via air to England or Europe for $70 Canadian (about 43 English pounds or 54 euros) or $120 for those of you wanting 2 sets. So total cost would be Canadian $199 for brackets + $30 towing eyes (if wanted) + shipping. Check with Paypal at your end to see how much this will cost you in your currency. But what I dont know now is if your country has any duties or fees that applies on shipments from overseas. If anyone has any experience about that please let us know.

Now before anyone else sends me any money, I want to make one thing perfectly clear. I am quite sure anyone wanting to fit euro bumpers already knows this - but - to PROPERLY convert a later model X1/9 to early model euro bumpers you also need:
Early grill
Early front spoiler
Early little filler piece below headlites
Front marker lights from 74 US or 73-78 euro

You already knew that, right ?

All the rest of this stuff is just easy bolt on. The only difficult part of a conversion is the special conversion brackets needed for the bumpers, and I've got you covered there.

If you have any questions about the the rest of the conversion, I would be happy to answer them.

As for Brett's request about brackets for using the '74 bumpers, well.....you are right that these bumpers are much easier (and cheaper ! ) to obtain on this side of the ocean. Personally I think the euro bumpers look much nicer, but the '74s still look SO much nicer than than the '75-'78 U.S. ones, or the the '79 on ones.

As for me making conversion brackets for the '74 U.S. bumpers, well I suppose I could - they would be similar - but different - to the euro brackets, and a lot of what I have learnt and the contacts I have made could be used. BUT a member here (Rturchan) made a batch of these a couple of years ago. I have tried to search for his posts about it but cannot seem to find them. I assume he had to go to all the trouble of making jigs and getting flanges programmed, so if anyone was to make another batch of '74 bumper conversion brackets - well HE would be the man. I see that Rturchan did post something here about the brackets yesterday but I can only assume he was trying to not offend me or thought he would be hijacking my thread, if he offered to make another batch. Well go right ahead Bob, wouldn't bother me at all. It would be great. Only if Bob was NOT interested in making another run of '74 conversion brackets, would I even consider doing it. I dont like stepping on toes.

As for Jackie asking whether my brackets would work with the CASCU fibreglass replicas, well I have never personally seen a set so I cant say for sure, but if they have the 2 integral mounting plates like the original Fiat bumpers, then my brackets should work fine. BUT.. I have been led to believe that tha CASCU replicas are only a bare shell of a bumper. If this is the case, you would have mold or glue in some type of mounting plates so that my brackets would bolt on. And I have been told the CASCU replicas take fair bit of work to make them look really nice. My 4 original bumpers only weigh about 10 lbs total so you are not going to save a huge amount of weight.
And overseas the original bumpers are not too dificult to find so...

I have enough brackets finished to supply everyone who has inquired so far, and can start shipping Monday.

Thanks again for your interest and kind words.

Cheers, Doug

Hi folks. I have sent out brackets (and towing eyes) to all those who have paid me. Some have already received them. I have PM'd tracking info and delivery dates to the rest.

If you have not heard from me, then a PM has gone astray. Please post here or PM me.

I will be posting installation instructions soon. If you need any help before that, let me know.

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug,

The PM message function has been deleting messages, it seems. I fired one asking for your email address/payment details. I would still love a set of the bumper brackets!

Best wishes,

Mickey

Installation instructions

Although installation of these euro bumper brackets is pretty self-evident, here are a few hints to make the job go a little smoother.

You must save and re-use the 4 original large bolts that held the inner ends of the bumper shocks to the chassis. These require a 22mm wrench, but a 7/8" works fine too. Their locations are:

Front

Rear

You must also save and re-use the 4 big rubber grommets where the original bumper shocks entered the square tubes on the chassis

This is a pic of the 4 brackets

Lay out the brackets as shown so you know what bracket goes on what corner. Pic shows the rears in the foreground.

Although I suppose it is possible to do this job with the rad in place, it will be SO much easier if you remove it first. Besides, isn't it time you gave the rad a good flush and changed those 30 year old rad hoses.

I would highly advise that before beginning your install, you cover the 4 corners of the car in some low tack masking tape as shown:

This will avoid chipping and scratching the paint while you are playing around with the fit. Remove the tape just prior to your final bolt-up.

So to begin, first bolt the rubber block to the blade with the washer and nut provided.

Then place 3 or 4 washers on the stud until you reach the level of the bracket on the blade.

You will now see that by doing this, any impact to the rubber block will now be transferred to the front of the bracket. I have been told that otherwise, any impact results in the inner end of the bumper folding in and crushing the nose sheetmetal.

When satisfied with this adjustment, proceed as follows.

For the front.

Slide the rubber grommet over the tube as shown:

Do NOT try to install the grommet into the chassis tube first and then try to slide the tube through it. You will find this to be nearly impossible.

Then insert the tube and grommet into the chassis tube as shown. Note that the outer few inches of the tube is reduced in diameter.

At this point push the rubber grommet into the chassis tube until it is FULLY SEATED. You may find some vaseline or rubber lube makes this process easier.

Then withdraw the bumper tube as far as possible outwards

You will now have just enough room to be able to bolt the bumper blade onto the bracket. Bolt it on just hand tight for now - leave it loose enough that the blade can still slide in the slots. Slide the blade as outwards as possible, then push the entire assembly into the chassis tube until the large bolt can be inserted and loosely tightened.

Slide and rotate the bumper until a satisfactory fit is obtained. Then tighten the bolts with a 13mm end wrench.

You will notice on the end of the blades that wraps around the fender, that there is another captive nut.

On the euro cars there is a matching hole in the fender where a bolt is inserted from inside the headlight cavity. This hole is NOT present on the later cars. You can - if you wish - carefully mark the location and drill a hole and use a bolt here (I even gave you the bolt). But I just couldn't force myself to drill a hole in my newly-painted fender, so I just used a double sided sticky pad there (included of course). Up to you. Personally, I found it more than sturdy enough with just the sticky pad. Stick the pad onto the blade as shown prior to fitting (it also helps to prevent scratching) and remove the body side peel-back just prior to final fitting.

At this point, check your final fit before fully tightening. There should be more than enough adjustment provided for left-to-right, rotation, and height. Where the blades wrap around the corners, aim to get the blade centered and level with the indented section.
The most difficult adjustment will be to keep the gap between the blade and the body a constant distance. My aim was about 7/8" - just because it looked best to my eye. IF that spacing is not perfectly equal, or you want more, then you will have to place washers between the bracket and the blade. Using only one washer would of course correct any taper in the gap.

When satisfied with the fit, tighten the blade bolts and the large bolt (the hole for the large bolt is also intentionaly slightly oversized to allow for a little more adjustment. Dont worry, when you tighten the large bolt, it will be held firmly in the desired position.

For the rear, I just found it easier to first bolt the blade to the bracket loosely, slide the grommet over the tube, and then insert the assembly into the chassis. The grommet seemed to slide into the chassis tube much easier than the fronts.

Now hopefully you were able to obtain a satisfactory enough fit using the preceding steps.

Before begining this project, I spent considerable time on the internet lookig at pictures of euro X1/9s to determine exact locations of the bumpers. What I found was quite disturbing. The fit of the bumpers from the factory was quite appalling. Gaps to the body were not even and quite varied. Angles were sometimes up and sometimes down. Wether this pathetic fit was due to individual variations in : chassis, bumpers, bodywork, or brackets, is difficult to determine. Maybe throw in some sloppy assembly at the Bertone factory.

I spent a lot of time ensuring that these brackets provided a perfect fit on MY car (a '81 US spec X1/9) with the used bumpers I was able to obtain. And I have tried to provide lots of adjustment for any variation in your combination.

If you are unable to obtain a perfect fit with my brackets, you could also try enlarging the slots in the brackets or slotting the large holes in the tubes. With enough force, I suppose the front brackets could be bent a bit to alter their angles.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I'm sorry my pics are kinda crappy, and I'm unable to show a beautiful finished result. My bumpers still need refinishing and I need lights, grill, etc. Hopefully someone out there can supply some nice finished shots.

If you need any help with the installation, please just ask.

And I still have a few sets of brackets available, if anyone out there would like some. A lot of the initial interest did not result in actual purchases. I still haven't come close to breaking even, but I'm still happy with the whole project.

Cheers, Doug

Hi Miles.

PM received
Paypal received
Brackets shipped
Thanks
Enjoy

PS - Welcome to the forum !!!

Cheers, Doug

Still have more of these?

Thinking of buying another set from you if you have.
:headbang:

would like a set please

hello, Grant Kelly in Wa state. IF YOU HAVE ANY EURO BUMPER BRACKETS LEFT FOR SALE ,I WILL BUY A SET. THANKS , MY E-MAIL IS geesnipe *live.com. I have a buddy with a paypal that I can give cash to.

Back