Fiat X1/9 euro bumper conversion brackets

I would also be interested in two sets when you're ready to do it again. But that could change if I can come up with something myself.

Looking to mod bumpers on my 81 x19

Those bumpers look nice, new member 81 x19 looking to mod where can I find them or similar
Hi, if you are still looking for Euro style bumpers, I make complete sets, not only they are available now, but you have many options - rubber, carbon, blocks, turnsignals, full length front or corners only, grill-valance assembly etc. See my post in FS&W20171224_151234.jpg 20171223_153547.jpg 20171222_120814.jpg

Doug,

Is there any possibility you could sell me the plans and the jigs ? What would you charge, including shipment to Belgium

Regards,

Phill

ps : please reply by e-mail because i don't look at this page real often ?

If anyone have a set they want to sell let me know. The set that I made for myself using Ricardo's plan turn out crappy.

Hi folks. As I have said before - IF... there is sufficient interest out there, I would be happy to make another batch. I still have the jigs, the plans, and a left-over set to copy.

Sorry Phill, but it would just not be feasible to send the jigs to Belgium. That would cost several hundred $$ just in shipping from here...

Sadly, the laser place that cut the flanges has shut down. They did the programming too, and kept the files for that. So i would have to start from scratch and find someone to produce CAD drawings and files. I have found a new local laser shop that are reasonable to work with. But..they are not interested in programming, and are not really interested in cutting less than 100 or so pieces in an order.

So.....I would really have to make a run of at least 20 sets to keep the cost down to a reasonable level.

On a more positive note, since the last batch I have purchased a nice new Lincoln 220V mig welder. And a large drill press. And a new fancy metal cut-off saw. So those aspects of the job could now be done by myself. And I still have contact with the shop that re-sized the ends of the tubes.

The only challenge left would be bending the front brackets. The place that did that is gone now too. I know there are lots of fabricators on this forum - so does anyone here have a brilliant idea on how I could bend a 45 degree angle in 2" wide 1/4" steel. I have tried in a vise with no luck. Do you think a Harbor Freight 12 or 20 ton shop press with a chisel type head on the ram going into a vee block would work ?? Always wanted a good excuse to buy a shop press.....

So....if....there is sufficient interest....say at least for 6 or so sets.....i'll go ahead and make another large batch this winter. And i've even got some ideas - courtesy of Rodger - for some tweaks and improvements. Kindly post any show of interest here.

Thanks, Doug

Doug, I'm super happy you're considering another batch. I've seen your work courtesy of Rodger and it's nice for sure. I'm interested if you do another run. Do you expect to charge around the same? ($200 CAN).

Regarding the bend - you were looking for some ideas. The one idea I have is to run a relief cut on the inside of the bend (a "V" if you will), bend it then weld it up with your new Lincoln welder. If you cut 1/2 way thru it's like bending a 1/8" bit of metal which is totally doable.

Woehaa, also super happy over here. Two sets would be perfect, they don't even have to be painted. (powder coating is available nearby) Made my own set and experienced how hard it is to get them right. Mine look fine from a distance, but when you come close to the car.. oh sh........ The one i'm driving now is a riding restauration project so nothing has to be perfect, but once i plan to repaint it........

Regards,

Phill

Thanks for the feedback and kind words. Yeah, as some of you have discovered, it's not that tough - but rather time consuming - to bodge up something that will work. But kinda tricky with all the angles and offsets required. The tough part is making the finished product look proper and neat. Not that much of it is visible when installed, but still......

As for the bending Darin, yes I had considered doing that. But maybe kinda messy to do. And i know myself - I'd end up spending countless hours grinding my crappy welds down to be perfectly smooth LOL.....But yes, 1/8" steel bends fairly easily. The 1/4" - which I feel is necessary to make the brackets strong enough, well not so easy.

I did find this out in the shop - forgot I had it:
bender 001.JPG

Perhaps.....I could bodge up a simple male and female die, using angle iron or something, and bend it with this ?? I reckon it would have enough force to be able to bend it ? Make each bend separately. It has to be bent like this:

bender 002.JPG

As for pricing, well tough to say until I get a quote for the laser cut flanges, and current pricing for tubing. I do know that steel prices up here have risen dramatically since I did the last batch. I would try my best to aim for $199 US again for a complete set, as I am now able to do more of the processes myself this time.

Guess we will see in the next couple of weeks if there is sufficient interest out there at that ballpark of a price point. I do know the only feasible way forward is for me to fork out at least over a grand for the laser work for enough flanges for 25 or so sets. And pray that "if you build it they will come"........

This would be a winter project for me. But finished product would not be available until the spring. The epoxy coating has do be done outside - it is nasty stuff - at at least 15 degrees C. If folks are willing to wait that long.

Thanks for the interest so far. Doug

Doug,

I'll try to be patiënt and hope enough people want them, an as I mentioned, mine don't have to be painted. If that makes it easier for you ?

Regards,

Phill

I am also interested in a set. Just to be clear, we are talking about four brackets (two front and two rear) without bumpers, right?

Hi, would be interested in a set of the brackets, is another run likely soon!?
Cheers Ian (Based in UK)

Okay folks. Thanks for the interest !!!

The market has spoken - I WILL gear up for another batch.

I'll work on them over the winter - should be available in the spring.

And....I have been working on - ahem - a product that goes quite nicely with these. They will be proper and very nice. And at a quite reasonable price.

Stay tuned. Thanks, Doug

Back