Fiat X1/9 euro bumper conversion brackets

Hi, Doug… This is a very interesting thread. Grateful that you have contributed blood, sweat and tears to develop a method for mounting early Euro bumpers which vastly improve the appearance of later X1/9s. Are you still in the process of taking orders for sets of brackets? Are you also fabbing bumpers or are early Euro bumpers pretty readily available?

Thank you for your interest and kind words Edd.

Yes, another batch of the conversion brackets are currently being produced. But is sadly behind my hoped schedule. i apologize for the delay and appreciate everyone's patience. I am not taking orders, as this batch will surely be large enough to meet demand for quite a while. I had to basically start from scratch getting the flanges programmed and produced. They have also been re-designed to allow for more adjustment when fitting.

Funny story........way back when I developed the first batch, I acquired a good used set of euro bumpers and fabricated brackets that fitted them perfectly to my X. Then made jigs that allowed precise and consistent copies to be made. But designed the brackets so that there was considerable adjustment in them to allow for variations in bumpers or body. Made a batch of 20 sets or so, and eventually sold them all.

Those who bought them were well pleased. But some commented that they had to bend or slightly tweak the brackets to obtain a perfect fit. Which I thought was rather odd........until I investigated further...

I did notice - in looking at pics of euro X1/9s - even factory press photos - that the fit of the bumpers from the factory was quite pathetic. Varying gaps and bumpers pointing up and down . i finally figured out why....

Over the years since then I have acquired a few sets of euro bumpers. From Ebay sites in Europe and various X1/9 forums. Close examination of them was quite revealing - and disturbing. The bumper blades themselves were quite consistent - they were clearly pressed out from a mold. But.....then there were brackets with captive nuts welded into the bare blades that allowed them to bolted on to other brackets that attached them to the chassis. There i discovered the source of the variations !!! Clearly the welding of the captive brackets into the bare bumper blades was NOT done in a jig - but rather just "by eye". And were positioned wherever Nuccio's guys happened to weld them on. Guess it depended on which guy welded that day - and how much vino he had for lunch....

So....in designing the new batch of conversion brackets - I designed in even more adjustment in all planes. This involved changing the shape of the flanges and drilling and tapping 4 holes in each flange for some set screws. Adding more work on my part, and more expense. All the flanges have now been laser cut and CNC bent. Just finishing the tapping now.

Then just gotta cut and drill the tubes. And weld them up. I asked a little while ago on this forum for assistance in welding. Got zero response. If anyone local wants to lend a hand please get in touch !!

Then on to powdercoating. Yes - this batch will be powdercoated. Will add to the expense but will make a nicer finished product.

And Edd...as for you asking about me fabbing the bumpers themselves...well....I have been investigating that too !! The supply of decent used euro bumpers does indeed appear to be drying up as time goes on. And as such the prices are climbing. But they are still out there if you look hard enough. Or look in my garage LOL....I will likely offer up some of my excess sets when the brackets are ready for sale.

I did however indeed investigate having proper euro bumper copies made. I found a place overseas that was willing to make nice blades in steel and blocks in rubber. Just like the originals. At what I considered a quite reasonable cost. Pondered that for quite a while and came to the conclusion that sadly the X1/9 crowd would just not support the investment required.

I have also found a local place here that is willing to make really nice fiberglass replicas. Complete with integral brackets that would just bolt onto my conversion brackets ( or onto stock brackets for real euro cars ) . Would be a great solution. But at this time I reckon there is just not enough of a market out there. And not enough money in the kitty to pay for the molds - until I can sell some conversion brackets to recoup some funds I have laid out.

Cheers, Doug

Thank you for your interest and kind words Edd.

Yes, another batch of the conversion brackets are currently being produced. But is sadly behind my hoped schedule. i apologize for the delay and appreciate everyone's patience. I am not taking orders, as this batch will surely be large enough to meet demand for quite a while. I had to basically start from scratch getting the flanges programmed and produced. They have also been re-designed to allow for more adjustment when fitting.

Funny story........way back when I developed the first batch, I acquired a good used set of euro bumpers and fabricated brackets that fitted them perfectly to my X. Then made jigs that allowed precise and consistent copies to be made. But designed the brackets so that there was considerable adjustment in them to allow for variations in bumpers or body. Made a batch of 20 sets or so, and eventually sold them all.

Those who bought them were well pleased. But some commented that they had to bend or slightly tweak the brackets to obtain a perfect fit. Which I thought was rather odd........until I investigated further...

I did notice - in looking at pics of euro X1/9s - even factory press photos - that the fit of the bumpers from the factory was quite pathetic. Varying gaps and bumpers pointing up and down . i finally figured out why....

Over the years since then I have acquired a few sets of euro bumpers. From Ebay sites in Europe and various X1/9 forums. Close examination of them was quite revealing - and disturbing. The bumper blades themselves were quite consistent - they were clearly pressed out from a mold. But.....then there were brackets with captive nuts welded into the bare blades that allowed them to bolted on to other brackets that attached them to the chassis. There i discovered the source of the variations !!! Clearly the welding of the captive brackets into the bare bumper blades was NOT done in a jig - but rather just "by eye". And were positioned wherever Nuccio's guys happened to weld them on. Guess it depended on which guy welded that day - and how much vino he had for lunch....

So....in designing the new batch of conversion brackets - I designed in even more adjustment in all planes. This involved changing the shape of the flanges and drilling and tapping 4 holes in each flange for some set screws. Adding more work on my part, and more expense. All the flanges have now been laser cut and CNC bent. Just finishing the tapping now.

Then just gotta cut and drill the tubes. And weld them up. I asked a little while ago on this forum for assistance in welding. Got zero response. If anyone local wants to lend a hand please get in touch !!

Then on to powdercoating. Yes - this batch will be powdercoated. Will add to the expense but will make a nicer finished product.

And Edd...as for you asking about me fabbing the bumpers themselves...well....I have been investigating that too !! The supply of decent used euro bumpers does indeed appear to be drying up as time goes on. And as such the prices are climbing. But they are still out there if you look hard enough. Or look in my garage LOL....I will likely offer up some of my excess sets when the brackets are ready for sale.

I did however indeed investigate having proper euro bumper copies made. I found a place overseas that was willing to make nice blades in steel and blocks in rubber. Just like the originals. At what I considered a quite reasonable cost. Pondered that for quite a while and came to the conclusion that sadly the X1/9 crowd would just not support the investment required.

I have also found a local place here that is willing to make really nice fiberglass replicas. Complete with integral brackets that would just bolt onto my conversion brackets ( or onto stock brackets for real euro cars ) . Would be a great solution. But at this time I reckon there is just not enough of a market out there. And not enough money in the kitty to pay for the molds - until I can sell some conversion brackets to recoup some funds I have laid out.

Cheers, Doug

I am watching this thread, Doug. Let me know when these brackets are available again, please.

This is an awesome solution to the "cow catcher" factory bumpers of later cars.

Hi Doug, I am also interested in a set. Let me know when you have them done. ( your close enough that I could pick them up)
Thanks

Before beginning this task, I invested extensive energy in the web looking at pictures of euro X1/9s to decide precise areas of the guards. What I discovered was very upsetting. The attack of the guards from the production line was very shocking. Holes to the body were not even and very differed. Points were now and then up and now and then down. Whether this pitiable fit was because of individual varieties in case, guards, bodywork, or sections, is hard to decide.

Hi there, I'm also interested in this if there is one available for me as well! And zero rush, bella mozzarella will be most likely still sitting in primer in my garage waiting for me to pull her transmission when you finish these :D

Great ! Look forward to buying the result. I just joined the site after my friend mentioned there may be a way to replace the bumpers on my ‘75 x1/9.

Question:
What is the asking price now?
Is it more established now if the brackets will work on a 1975 model. My friend stated the ‘74 is vastly different than the ‘75 upwards.

when is an estimate of when yiur great efforts will be available after welding abs powder coating?

Thank You SO much for your efforts!

-C

Hi folks. Sorry for the delay in producing another batch of these brackets. But they are in progress now.

I now have all the brackets cut and bent. The stainless tubing has arrived.

Stay tuned.........Doug
Hi Doug, just making sure to check in on this - I'll definitely take a set. Very excited about these!

Yes they are finally available.

These special brackets are for mounting 73-78 euro spec. bumpers on later model ('79 up) X1/9s. A simple bolt on solution. No cutting - no welding - no drilling. They simply bolt on in minutes. I think they should also work on 75-78 U.S. spec. models, but I have not yet tried. Of course all X1/9s from '79 on worldwide shared the same bumpers and mounts.

They will NOT work with the '74 U.S. spec. bumpers. Although the bumpers look similar, they are in fact completely different in their mounts.

Fitting the euro spec. bumpers is not as easy as you would think. Although the bumpers fit over the outer bodywork fine, the mounting points on the early euro chassis are totally different and thus the euro brackets cannot be used (I know, I bought some and tried). Nor could they be modified to fit.

I finally concluded that the only way was to design and fabricate some new brackets from scratch. I decided to make a few extra copies to try to recoup some of my expenses.

They basically bolt on in place of the existing bumper shocks.

Tubes are sturdy 14 gauge 409 stainless steel.

Plates are laser cut 1/4" thick steel. The programming and set-up charges were quite substantial - especially since I had to re-do them several times to get it right.

After finally perfecting a set of prototypes, then a jig was made for each of the 4 brackets so that totally accurate finished products could be reproduced.

Epoxy paint coated - 3 coats - black satin

These brackets simply bolt on to the stock euro bumpers using their existing captive nuts. Note that the mounting holes on my brackets are slotted to allow adjustment while fitting - as I'm sure that not all X1/9 chassis and bumpers are exactly alike.

I have read complaints about the design of the original euro brackets. Look closely at the original and you will see that the rubber bumper blocks are - especially in the front - quite inboard of the bumper mounts and not at all supported by the original brackets. Any impact - which is most likely to be taken by the block - apparantly results in the inner ends of the bumper folding in and crushing the nose sheetmetal. Note I have extended the bracket to support the block as well. This should cure that flaw.....but I don't think I'd want to be the one to test it out....
I have tried to design - the fronts at least - so that in a minor impact the bracket will just bend and absorb most of the impact.

Because my brackets simply bolt on in minutes and require absolutely no alterations to the stock chassis or bodywork, you could - although I don't know why you would want to - revert back to the stock bumpers at any time. I seem to have this strange belief that it's okay to modify or update or backdate my X - as long as it is reversible.

Anyway, I have made up a few extra sets because I know that there are a bunch of you out there who have acquired some euro bumpers but can't quite figure out how to mount them.

They are finished and ready to ship.

Although the finished product looks pretty simple, believe me it was anything but ! Try bending 1/4" steel. The tubes had to be hydraulically reduced in diameter at both ends - differently - so that the big rubber grommets would fit into the tubes openings......

I went to a great deal of trouble - and expense - to try do everything right. I have made the brackets as inconspicous as possible. Tubing is stainless steel. Paint is 3 coats of automotive chassis epoxy. I had them professionally welded. The large mounting holes were done precisely at a machine shop on a large milling machine. All needed nuts, bolts, and washers are included and are zinc plated grade 8.8 . The nuts and bolts are the type with integral serrated washer. Sticky pads are 3M automotive grade.

Although I was able to do most of the work myself, it still involved about 10 different outside suppliers and subcontractors. By the time I figured out just how involved the the project was, I was too far along to back out, so I forged ahead and completed one batch. I'm telling you this to explain why this will most likely be a one-time only batch. I hope I made enough to cover demand.

So if you want some, I would suggest you order them before they are gone. Fair warning.

Set of 4 brackets, complete with neccessary bolts, nuts, washers :

Only $199 Canadian or U.S.$ plus shipping.

For those of you overseas, I would require Paypal payment in Canadian $. For England, I think this works out to about 125 pounds. For Europe, this is about 140 euros. For Australia, I think our dollars are close to par.

Please post here or PM me for a shipping quote and Paypal info.

Please fell free to post any questions or comments.

Thanks, Doug

X19_469.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

OK so it has been 9 years.... do you still have any left? :)

Back