Fiat x1/9 Stratos style

@mkmini, how did you manage to get that jacked-up look in the back? Like many, I've always thought the stock X suffers from saggy-ass syndrome. One way to fix it is to lower the front, but lately I've been playing with the idea of lifting the back instead.

JNewm...

I too never cared for the nose-in-the-air look of the later models, mostly done to meet the 5 mph bumper standard for height. It also negatively impacted the braking allowing the front tires to more easily lock-up due to the static weight distribution.

I don't necessarily like the arse-in HIGH look, but I have always loved the forward rake look. In OUR case with the X, it also statically applies more weight to the front end as well, and with better/wider tires, has eliminated all tendencies for the front tires to lock up prematurely.

I cut the stock front springs 2 inches and then added a "rubber-rake" as well. 175/60's up front and 205/60's in the rear. Here's a fairly good shot of the result:

Papa Tony Arrives! BFI 2015.jpg

If you need further details, don't hesitate to write.

first of all it looks/is lifted compared to others X19 I have seen, don't know why.

And if You take a look on lower rear corners - will see that I have repaired them not as they originally should have been. because of laziness :D

Tony, that's a really good-looking X! I particularly love the pinstripe detail, which accentuates the forward rake. And those wheels are *chef's kiss* perfect.

@mkmini, very curious! It definitely does look lifted. Now if I could figure out a way to split the difference between yours and Tony's, I think it would be exactly what I have in mind. Raise the back slightly, about an inch, and lower the front about an inch... Are the coilover kits sold by VAS/M-W height-adjustable upwards at all? Or are they limited to stock-or-lower? Hmm...

very curious! It definitely does look lifted. Now if I could figure out a way to split the difference between yours and Tony's, I think it would be exactly what I have in mind. Raise the back slightly, about an inch, and lower the front about an inch... Are the coilover kits sold by VAS/M-W height-adjustable upwards at all? Or are they limited to stock-or-lower? Hmm...

I have the VAS coilovers and I am going for the stratos look and rake. Here they are in about a mid height. Once I finish the roof spoiler, louvers and side pillar extensions to go with the ducktail and rear conversion, I will dial in the height. I have a bit of rake with the 205/50 front tires and the 205/55 rear tires.

stratos wing_SM-.jpg

Tony, that's a really good-looking X! I particularly love the pinstripe detail, which accentuates the forward rake. And those wheels are *chef's kiss* perfect.

@mkmini, very curious! It definitely does look lifted. Now if I could figure out a way to split the difference between yours and Tony's, I think it would be exactly what I have in mind. Raise the back slightly, about an inch, and lower the front about an inch... Are the coilover kits sold by VAS/M-W height-adjustable upwards at all? Or are they limited to stock-or-lower? Hmm...

Thanks for the kind words...

Going with coil-overs all around should give you the adjust-ability to get the look you want, as well as the performance and tire clearance. Remember also what Janis said about his work, when he repaired the rear quarters he essentially chopped the bottoms of the rear fenders off which gives the car an even higher rear end appearance.

When shopping for coil-overs, remember to try Vick's Auto Sports. They had a great deal on them a year or so ago... maybe they still do.

Last edited:
mkmini, could we get some better shots of the chopped rear fenders?
Yes, coilovers will get you any rake angle you want. I have the VAS units and am completely happy with them.

@Bobkat, I've been really loving your build! The original Stratos is such a perfect design inspiration--so much like an X on steroids. A couple questions I've been itching to ask:

1. Is it just me, or did the Stratos not actually have a forward rake? At least in some photos, it seems to be just the design of the body creating the illusion that the car is leaning forward. In fact, focusing on the gaps in the wheel wells, some photos suggest the Stratos actually has the same lower-in-the-back stance as the stock X. But the brilliant Bertone design makes onlookers feel like it's hunched forward, ready to explode. Of course, without totally redesigning the X body, an actual forward rake--like you're planning to do--is the best way to recreate that feeling.

2. Did you give any thought to cutting off the front spoiler lip? One of the design features/bugs that seems to bother some ppl about the X is the front chin. (There's a huge thread about it on here!) I'm thinking why not just get rid of it altogether, a la Stratos?

Stratos, with lower back end but illusion of forward rake + chinless front end:
stratos side.jpg

@Bobkat, I've been really loving your build! The original Stratos is such a perfect design inspiration--so much like an X on steroids. A couple questions I've been itching to ask:

1. Is it just me, or did the Stratos not actually have a forward rake? At least in some photos, it seems to be just the design of the body creating the illusion that the car is leaning forward. In fact, focusing on the gaps in the wheel wells, some photos suggest the Stratos actually has the same lower-in-the-back stance as the stock X. But the brilliant Bertone design makes onlookers feel like it's hunched forward, ready to explode. Of course, without totally redesigning the X body, an actual forward rake--like you're planning to do--is the best way to recreate that feeling.

2. Did you give any thought to cutting off the front spoiler lip? One of the design features/bugs that seems to bother some ppl about the X is the front chin. (There's a huge thread about it on here!) I'm thinking why not just get rid of it altogether, a la Stratos?

View attachment 33918

Production car and Racecar are two different worlds.

Production cars had to meet headlight height, bumper height and other requirements. So they tend to have more front ride height than the racecar. Also the racecar had much larger rear tires.

This looks really awesome - I wouldn't want to work on it with those hinged sections exactly in the way of most access :D They would have to have some sort of quick-release hinge mechanism so the whole front or rear clip could be pulled off for actual work beyond fluid checks.

Ok, so make that owning 4 X1/9s in an ideal world - Dallara, Prototipo, Stratos style & 'stock' :D

Yes, coilovers will get you any rake angle you want. I have the VAS units and am completely happy with them.
I don't know when it could happen, car is at electrician. Hope that soon.

Production car and Racecar are two different worlds.

Production cars had to meet headlight height, bumper height and other requirements. So they tend to have more front ride height than the racecar. Also the racecar had much larger rear tires.
and I am betting alot of owners of the "street" version lowered the front soon after they got it. (ok, unless they were going full off road rally, then they might have raised the rear.)

I totally loved the "trunk kits" that manufacturers put in certain cars. wont pass DOT or EPA if installed, but there it is in the trunk if you want to. My favorite was the GTO with 3 2 barrel carbs. only the center hooked up but the linkage to hook up the other was in the trunk.

Odie

I did chop actually not fenders, but part right under the rear pockets.

here You can see it cut off before welded on new pockets.

originally there is material that follows form under the floor of pocket, mine doesn't anymore
7235401B-6E84-4CF5-B0A9-964D41FB962D.png

I do like the look of the street going stratos which is one of the reasons I stuffed as big a tire I could. I am doing the build ins the spirit of the stratos. some things I am trying to be very accurate but some things need to adapted or more fiat than Lancia. For the front end I like the look of a big chin spoiler on the X just seems right with a early grill. I have completed the front end all but the hood louvers. I will be making a CF insert that will be painted body color. They will mimic the stratos hood but not exact. this is my final front end all but the hood louvers.

1593659851155.png

I do like the look of the street going stratos which is one of the reasons I stuffed as big a tire I could. I am doing the build ins the spirit of the stratos. some things I am trying to be very accurate but some things need to adapted or more fiat than Lancia. For the front end I like the look of a big chin spoiler on the X just seems right with a early grill. I have completed the front end all but the hood louvers. I will be making a CF insert that will be painted body color. They will mimic the stratos hood but not exact. this is my final front end all but the hood louvers.

View attachment 33946

Hey Bob...

Can you tell me more about your bumper/trim across the nose of your car?

Really looks good, is it rubber or bent steel?

Back