Fiat x1/9 Stratos style

@carl has also moved an engine into and out of his basement (with his son's help), and he's older than me. :p Ask how they did it. I don't have a basement so I just move engines around on a cart (furniture dolly). I know I wouldn't be able to lift/carry an engine, even with the head off. A bare block is about the most I can manage - and only for very short distances. But I have some physical limitations. The hand truck Don mentioned sounds good. Strap it on and walk the truck down each step. Coming back up may be a bit harder, but not with some help. I'm sure you can find a way. No sense wasting the winter doing nothing on it.

@carl has also moved an engine into and out of his basement (with his son's help), and he's older than me. :p Ask how they did it. I don't have a basement so I just move engines around on a cart (furniture dolly). I know I wouldn't be able to lift/carry an engine, even with the head off. A bare block is about the most I can manage - and only for very short distances. But I have some physical limitations. The hand truck Don mentioned sounds good. Strap it on and walk the truck down each step. Coming back up may be a bit harder, but not with some help. I'm sure you can find a way. No sense wasting the winter doing nothing on it.
Yes, definitely strap it on.

I have a walk out basement with a back door so motors are strapped to a handtruck and just wheeled around back and into the basement. In my previous house I had a basement with only house stair access. Every fall I would roll my Yamaha roadracer down the stairs and into the basement for work and storage and then get help to roll it back up in the spring.

Definitely use a hand truck and you should be able to bump/roll the motor down the stairs. Having someone help makes life a lot easier. I am really scrawny with no upper body strength so tasks that involve moving motors takes lot of thought and wheeled contrivances. Those cheap little moving dollys from HF help a lot.

I don't know if you have and engine hoist and I understand the $$$ issue. They are inexpensive enough at Harbor Freight, they can be rented or hopefully borrowed from a friend.

One of the quickest and easiest ways I have found to remove or install and engine in and X is to have the car "squat" and poop it on the floor.

Same way going back in.

First you must remove the trans and there are some helpful hints to do that rather easily.... more on that when yur ready...

The idea is to HOIST the car using the two rear "tiedowns" under the bumper with the engine hoist. Remove the rear tires, then place a sturdy box, wood, or a creeper under the engine, LOOSEN the snail mount and dog-bone (as the trans mount is already off...), set the car down so the engine sits on platform you made for it, unbolt the remaining mounts and then lift the body up.

Sometimes you'll need to roll the engine on its side a bit and then pull it out from under the car. I've even done this with just large pieces of cardboard but I like the creeper the best because of the wheels. Those moving dollies at HF are good too.

I also like dropping the motor out the bottom. Use the hoist to drop the motor on the floor or dolley and then lift the car high enough to roll the motor out. Unlike Tony I like to remove the motor and trans as a unit. The driver side A-arm has to come off to do this, no big deal.

Interesting drawing of modifications...

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gJb9xx

In the link, you have also the pic of the front and the back of the car flipping to reveal the inners

benny-maxwell-x19-project.jpg
I’d buy this kit…

Back