Fiat X1/9 suspension re-fresh kits

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Update April 23/22.....available again here:

Hi Folks. Well I am proud to present my latest project.

This time it is complete suspension re-fresh kits. Typically one of the most neglected aspects of our cars. After 40 or so years, most of us still have all the original and tired suspension bushings and boots. This should be addressed as part of a restoration - or as a simple re-fresh project. Many of you have been investing in fancy coil-overs and zoomy wheels and tires...without addressing the basics.

The job is fairly easy as the X1/9 has a very simple suspension system. But the parts required are now very tough - if not impossible - to obtain. Until now....

So...I obtained - or re-produced - all the parts that are likely to be required. And am offering them in complete kits. Ready now in limited quantities.

The front kit:
x19 front kit a.jpg

contains the following:

4 x radius rod bushings. These are found at the front of the radius arm, and are usually the most worn bushing. The ones on your X are likely quite worn, leading to shaking and slop. These are very high quality Italian made rubber bushings. Recent production.

2 x radius rod grommets. The blue things shown. They are found inside the radius rod bracket at the front of the car. And isolate the steel bushing. Not visible until you dismantle. And are quite often deteriorated to the point of being actually quite often missing entirely !! Leading to rattles and slop. You may not even realize they are supposed to be there. These were re-designed and produced right here in Canada to my specs. From a form of polyurethane. Just pliable enough to be able to be installed easily by hand. No boiling water needed.... Durable and compliant.

2 x front control arm inner bushings. High quality Italian rubber. Recent production. The ones on your X are likely cracked and hardened by now. They are indeed a bit of a bear to install, but well worth the effort.

10 x new nyloc nuts. All the ones you need to disturb. Some are a very odd sized special "high type". They should be replaced instead of re-using the old original ones. I could not find these anywhere in North America. So imported them from Europe. All are to OE spec. Grade 8 zinc plated. With the proper OE wrench size.

And then.....the boots.... Ahhh...the boots. They were by far the most challenging items to source. None of the usual vendors offer these.

For the front ball joints.....there were actually 2 different types of boots ( and control arms ) supplied during the long X1/9 production run. Look closely at the pic below. It seems...the 1500 models came with a control arm and boot like the one on the left. With a boot that was held on by 2 funky wire clips. While the 1300 models had a control arm with a boot that had an integral steel ring that pressed onto the control arm. The boots are NOT interchangeable !!

x19 front control arms.jpgx19 front control arms.jpg

note the control arm IS different in the spot the pencil point to. And thus requires the proper type boot.

For the 1500 style boots....I was finally able to order custom boots from Europe. To the exact size and shape of the OE boots. They fit perfectly. Requires you to re-use the original clips. And...I was able to spec them in an upgraded polyurethane material. Nothing better !!

For the 1300 style boots, I was able to find high quality Italian rubber reproductions. With the integral steel ring as shown.

The kit is supplied with your choice of boot types. Two of each of course. You must specify which type you need. It should - in theory - be a 1300 vs 1500 thing - but perhaps your X had new control arms ( the whole arms are interchangeable between any year ) installed in the past. It does seem most of the replacement arms that have been available over the years - and even currently - are actually the 1300 type. Please look carefully at the pics and order the type you need. My boots "should" fit aftermarket replacement arms of each type.....but I cannot guarantee that.

The kit also contains 2 x front outer tie rod end boots. Yeah...I know that is actually part of the steering - not suspension - but those cracked boots on my car were crying out......and I was sourcing all the other boots...so why not. From all my research..it seems ALL X1/9s came with tie rod boots of the "press-on" type with integral steel ring. They look just like the 1300 ball joint boots - only smaller in size. For these I was able to source quality Italian replacement rubber boots. These are likely the type you need...however...it seems most replacement tie rod ends for the X1/9 are actually the type that require the"clip-on" style boot.

Again.....that type I was able to custom order - in an upgraded poly boot - the perfect size for any of the replacement style tie rod ends I found.

And again...you must check your car and specify what type you would like included in your kit.

And finally.....the kit contains a tube of very high end German grease. So you can clean out all the old hardened and cruddy grease from the joints before replacing the boots. Research indicated this is the best grease to use. In a handy squeeze tube with lid.

So there you have it. Everything in one handy kit from one source.

Just specify :

Kit A - In theory for most 1500 X1/9s. Includes clip-on style ball joint boots and press-on style tie rod end boots

Kit B - in theory for most 1300 X1/9s. Includes press-on style ball joint boots and press-on style tie rod end boots

Kit C - Includes clip-on style ball joint boots and clip-on style tie rod end boots

Kit D - includes press-on style ball joint boots and clip-on style tie rod end boots.

As I had great difficulty in obtaining some of the components, for now I will only be offering the kits, and not individual bits. Although I do have lots of the radius rod grommets if you want to just order some of them. Depending on the take of the boot types, I may well have some of the boots left over when the dust settles.

Kit pricing: ( the same for any variant )

Only $79 Canadian plus shipping. Contact me for a shipping quote.

As I anticipate most of the orders will be coming from our USA members..I will offer a very special deal for you folks

Only $69 US complete with air mail shipping. But...this offer is only available under 1 condition...Payment to ME in US funds ( Paypal recognizes that I am in Canada and defaults to converting it to Canadian funds at my end ). You can change that part way through the process to specify that I receive US funds. It makes NO difference to the amount you pay - still $69 US -just how I get it.. If...you are are unable - or unwilling - to pay me in this manner - that is okay by me. Just pay in Canadian $$ and contact me for a shipping quote.

Moving on....of course I am also offering a REAR suspension re-fresh kit.
x19 kit rear.jpg

This includes:

4 x rear A arm bushings. High quality Italian bushings. Recent production.

8 x special nyloc nuts. Grade 8 zinc plated. Proper OE wrench size.

2 x wheel bearing v ring seal. This may seem like an odd item to include...but you will sadly discover that to remove the A arm from the car ( to change the bushings or to replace the ball joint boot ).......you must first remove the stub axle ( no big deal ) at which point this seal ( or the remnants of it ) is now exposed and begging to be changed. Might as well...

2 x ball joint boots. Yes...like the fronts... there were two different types of joints and boots supplied from the factory. And yes....the 1300 models again came with a press-on type boot with integral metal retaining ring. This type - sadly - I was unable to source anywhere. Again...the 1500 models came with a "clip-on" style boot. These I was finally able to special order - a perfect replacement fit. Again in an upgraded poly material. I even upgraded to a double bellows design for more flexibility. Re-use your existing clips for a secure and perfect fit. This is NOT a generic universal slip-over boot that others provide.

2 x outer rear toe link boots. Again, a custom upgraded OE style boot in poly. A perfect fit.

2 x cotter pins for the outer toe link castle nut. An oddball metric size. 18-8 stainless.

1 x tube of special German moly grease for re-greasing the ball joints.

Complete kit - note this is ONLY suitable for X's with a clip-on style rear ball joint boot. This should be all 1500 models but check your arm had not been changed for an earlier 1300 arm at some point. The boots are NOT interchangeable. See the pic below. The old rusty arm is from a 1300. The nicely painted arm is from my 1500. Note the difference.

x19 rear arms.jpg

Rear kit pricing: EDIT - REAR KITS NOW SOLD OUT - SEE POST BELOW FOR MORE INFO !!!!

$129 Canadian plus shipping

Again....a special deal for USA Xweb folks. Only $107 US including air mail shipping. but same conditions as above.

Or.....a special mombo-combo deal for both kits: Includes only one tube of grease ( more than enough )
$204 Canadian plus shipping
$163 US including shipping ( above conditions )

Note: I have plenty of front kits...but only 4 rear kits at this time....EDIT now only 2 rear kits remaining. EDIT pending payment all rear kits now sold. Plenty of front kits still available. Give me a few hours to try to offer "partial rear kits" with instructions on how to get the missing bits. I'll make a new post. Thanks. Check with me before sending Paypal !

Those ordering will receive - if they wish - via email - instructions, hints, tips, torque values, and lots more pics

Any questions - just ask. Any comments are welcome - just be civil please.

Thanks for looking. Thanks for your support . More exciting projects on the way. Here is a link to some of my other offerings:

The parts pricing there is still valid...but the shipping costs are now out of date. But as a general rule....I can now ship to the USA via USPS flat rate boxes. So can combine shipping pretty cheaply. Just ask.

Finally....some more pics below since you folks like pics so much....

xweb 1.jpgxweb 2.jpgxweb 4.jpgxweb 3.jpgxweb 5.jpgxweb 6.jpgxweb 7.jpgxweb 8.jpgxweb 9.jpg

;

;

Last edited:
This is so awesome. I love this forum. If this car is going to stay on the road another 40 years (knock on wood), it'll be thanks to y'all.

Having recently gone through the process of sourcing all of these items myself I will second that everyone should confirm exactly what types of boots their X currently has. Not only could things have been previously changed, but as we know Fiat often used a mix of things depending on what was available at the time of the car's build. For example I had a late (Nov) '79 X with some of the "early" 1300 style boots in some places, but the later 1500 style boots in other places. And that car came with a complete service history since day one; none of the joints had been replaced - they were installed at the factory that way. To further add to the complexity, apparently there are some aftermarket replacement ball joints that use a different style boot than the factory ones. My suggestion is you not only 'look' at your boots, but push back the lip and measure the diameter of the groove where the boot's bottom (large diameter) lip sits. That's difficult to do with the "clip on" style, but it's worth noting some of the "clip on" type appear the same visually but are different diameters when measured.

I'm in for 1 full 1500 kit. Please PM me the remainder of the PayPal details. I can send via friends and family.

Thanks for this!

Im in for one full 1500 kit!!
Lmk how to proceed.....my email is karfrik@gmail.com.....thanks!!
I'm in for 1 full 1500 kit. Please PM me the remainder of the PayPal details. I can send via friends and family.

Thanks for this!

Hi guys. Sadly...and as edited....all rear kits were sold out within an hour or so of me posting them. I will try in the morning to see what I can do about offering "partial kits" and direct you to the missing bits to complete them. Fortunately....I do have lots of the tricky ( read impossible to find elsewhere ) bits - the boots.

And I do still have lots of front kits of all variations.

I am sorry if I have disappointed some folks. Believe me ...my intention was to have LOTS available. It has been a real struggle to collect all these bits. It has been many months. And not for lack of trying. I did order much larger quantities... but this is a world-wide problem these days. You may have noticed most of the Fiat vendors out-of-stock of popular items. The situation is particularly dire for parts out of Italy, which of course is one of the worst hit countries in the world of this terrible pandemic. Much of that country has been on lockdown for a year now. Understandable that producing vintage Fiat parts is not high on their priority list. I would order 80 of something...after a long delay I would get 20.....

Thanks for your great response. Doug

Wow! Very nice.

I will be wanting two of each kit for my late X’s.

I will PM you around the front kits which are available.

Man I need to pay more attention to the forum.

Since the rear kits are all sold, I’ll take one of the front ones for my ‘87 1500. If by chance you manage to get a rear one, I’ll take it as well. Thanks!

Hi folks. Well I have been busy trying to ship out orders and deal with all the PMs. All orders paid for have left here.

Yes - well still pending payment - all rear kits have been sold. I was able to make some "alternative arrangements" - in order of interest - to a bunch more folks so they could end up with complete kits. Again - pending payment - the source for the missing bits has now been exhausted.

I still have some stock of front kits in all variations...but when they run out...I have no idea when I can get all the bits to complete more.

For the complete rear kits......you are welcome to reserve a spot ( at no cost ) on a waiting list. For fulfillment when I can get the missing bits. i've been told somewhat soon.....but with what is going on in the world.....it may well be the summer.

In the meantime...I do have lots of extra rear ball joint boots, rear toe link boots, cotter pins, and grease.

I can sell you now....a "partial rear kit" - recall this only fits 1500 X1/9s - of
2 x rear ball joint boots
2 x rear toe link boots
2 x special stainless cotter pins
1 x tube of special grease

for: $41 US including shipping on its own...or.....without the extra tube of grease... as an add-on to the front kit - for only $27 US

Contact me for overseas or Canadian pricing and shipping.

I also have some extra front radius rod grommets. Contact me if you need some.

Oh..and I keep forgetting to post this..but...back when I was collecting all the bits...I received a shipment of the front control arm bushings..they just didn't look right to me. They were very nice quality but the sized just seemed to be off. I was quite concerned....so to be sure...I actually managed to buy some genuine OE Fiat bushings. Turns out they are - believe it or not - still available through the Fiat dealer network in Europe But at a horrendous price. And....get this - ONLY available for purchase in packs of 5. Now that is wonderful Fiat logic for you !!! Anyway...I did bite the bullet and ordered a pack and had them flown over here. Ouch. And yup....I was worried about nothing - they were identical in every dimension to the batch I had. But at least I felt better - if poorer......So..if anyone wants to upgrade their order...I will substitute a pair of genuine OE Fiat bushings for $10 US extra. I can do that for two orders and will keep the 5th piece here as a sample...and a reminder that my trusted Italian supplier is okay......

Thanks for the great response folks. Doug

Last edited:
Fantastic! If you still have them, I'd like 0ne (1) of each for a 1982 X. Thanks very much!

I still have a few front kits but they are going quickly. Rear kits are sold out, and I have a waiting list ( no obligation ) started that you could go on. If you want a front kit, PM me for Paypal details. Thanks.

Since the rear kits are all sold, I’ll take one of the front ones for my ‘87 1500. If by chance you manage to get a rear one, I’ll take it as well. Thanks!

As above.

Good morning folks. After a busy weekend of packing and shipping and answering PMs...I think I am caught up. If I have not responded to you in a manner that leaves the ball in your court, then something has gone astray. Please respond here or via PM.

I'm still waiting on a bunch of folks to pay...but if they all do...then I am down to just a couple of front kits in A or B variants. A few more C or D variants. And I still have quite a few of the "partial" rear kits. At this time I have no idea when - or if - I will be able to get all the bits to offer these kits again.

Thanks so much for your support. Doug

Last edited:
I would love to get a kit and any bits you have left for an 86 Bertone :)

Hi Ananda. I am down to components to be able to make up only 1 of the Type A or B front kits. And a few more type C or D front kits.

I have a few rear "partial" kits that is basically all 4 rear boots and the cotter pins.

See my above post for more info. PM me if you would like anything.

Thanks, Doug

Generally speaking, your idea of ‘full’ replacement parts suspension kits seem to be very popular. Good idea (And service).

At this time...according to the tracking info at my end....everyone who has ordered has received their package already. And I believe I have responded to anyone who inquired.

I do have a couple of kits remaining...depending on what boot types you need.. And i'm sure you folks know the front kits would also fit Scorpions and 128 SL/Coupe/3P ( not sedans and wagons ).....

I did say above that those purchasing would receive instructions and tips via email. I since decided...for the benefit of all those here....to instead post all that here on the workshop forum...and hope that discussion ensues....

I welcome any civil feedback.

Thanks, Doug

Last edited:
At this time...according to the tracking info at my end....everyone who has ordered has received their package already. And I believe I have responded to anyone who inquired.

I do have a couple of kits remaining...depending on what boot types you need.. And i'm sure you folks know the front kits would also fit Scorpions and 128 SL/Coupe/3P ( not sedans and wagons ).....

I did say above that those purchasing would receive instructions and tips via email. I since decided...for the benefit of all those here....to instead post all that here on the workshop forum...and hope that discussion ensues....

I welcome any civil feedback.

Thanks, Doug

Yeap, got my box too....thanks!!

Back