Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
well I tried the little independent LEDS for all my and it just doesn't have the groovy factor, and I like the idea of one bulb...anyone find a super bright single LED for the original fiber optics socket? or does anyone know what the original bulb was so I can lookup an LED equivalent? I haven't been able to find the old socket yet, I'm thinking it was a bayonet base?

well I tried the little independent LEDS for all my and it just doesn't have the groovy factor, and I like the idea of one bulb...anyone find a super bright single LED for the original fiber optics socket? or does anyone know what the original bulb was so I can lookup an LED equivalent? I haven't been able to find the old socket yet, I'm thinking it was a bayonet base?
The manual says a 2 candlepower #158. What is important in this case is the radiation pattern. You want most of the light headed for the fiber. The radiation patterns of incandescent lamps and LEDs can be very different. My vague recollection is that the fiber is illuminated from the top of the bulb. You may find that most incandescent replacement LEDs will put more light out the sides than the top. Have you checked your independent LED setup to make sure most of the light is going where the fiber end was previously shining on it? I tried an LED on a spare switch and it looked at least as good as I have ever seen the fiber make it. Not a particularly fancy LED either.

this has been covered before here . I used a Eagle Eye 9 watt led that fits in the OEM housing. They even have an aluminum housing. They are the same eagle eyes I use for my DTRL. Very bright and perfect to light up old fibre.

I just looked to see where it was covered before (because I think that's a good idea and I'd like to try too!) and came up with this, and it looks like its Bobkat's post too. See post #17.

I used a "T10" LED bulb (hope I'm remembering that correctly) that fit well into the stock fiber optic bulb socket. Pick one with forward firing diodes. And you can use a different color if you wish. But I think the "eagle eye" Bob suggested would be even brighter since it has a large lens on the front. They are available in a variety of configurations and wattages very inexpensively from China. However their color choices are rather limited.

Ultimately I removed the fiber optics and went with individual LEDs in each gauge and switch. But that was part of a comprehensive rewire of the entire vehicle.

I used a "T10" LED bulb (hope I'm remembering that correctly) that fit well into the stock fiber optic bulb socket. Pick one with forward firing diodes. And you can use a different color if you wish. But I think the "eagle eye" Bob suggested would be even brighter since it has a large lens on the front. They are available in a variety of configurations and wattages very inexpensively from China. However their color choices are rather limited.

Ultimately I removed the fiber optics and went with individual LEDs in each gauge and switch. But that was part of a comprehensive rewire of the entire vehicle.
Yeah my independent leds worked great for a moment, then one went out....PIA to change...wanted to rearrange how I had it all wired and think I really wanna go back to the fiber optics just because of the cool factor...found my old harness, but the long one to the headlight is broken, so probably going to order another from Midwest...I think there were 2 different light assemblies as Bobcat shows to have a larger can that would fit those "eagle eye" projectors bulbs in...Mine has a smaller tube that looks suitable for a t10/194 bayonet like you're talking about...I might need to some fabricating...hmmmm

Ok...Looks like China has this covered...I found these on Ebay, but gotta wait for it...so cheap I ordered 2, one in ice blue and one in white...the hole in the end is 10mm, about the factory light size. They had them on Amazon also, but not as specific on size/color...I found them with a search of fiber optics light source
s-l1600.jpg

Ok...Looks like China has this covered...I found these on Ebay, but gotta wait for it...so cheap I ordered 2, one in ice blue and one in white...the hole in the end is 10mm, about the factory light size. They had them on Amazon also, but not as specific on size/color...I found them with a search of fiber optics light source
s-l1600.jpg
Would you mind posting the link to where you purchased? Thanks.

sure, I found some on Amazon also after copying and pasting the way the ebay ads worded the description....I'm sure they're probably coming from same place in China...gonna be a couple of weeks shipping ugh....Anyways here's one of the many ebay sellers

Back