Finally Drove the B16 X!

Here we go! Not ready to test yet. Waiting for a part for my shifting mechanism. But. Heater out of head, to a tee. Then back to return. Tee goes to bottom of new tank. Bottom is higher than heater circuit.

20180520_173917.jpg
20180520_173927.jpg
20180520_173936.jpg

Odie

No kidding! Function first. Once I know it is good to go I am re-doing it with less clamps and better clamps.

Odie

Um. Just counted. An ambarasiing 27.... for main, heater and bypass circuit....

I tried to hold back on the snarky commentary, thanks for doing it for me...

Nice work Odie, do you have a schematic of the hose routing as it sits now compared to where the commentary was last year?

Thanks

Once I validate it, I will draw it up. Makes sense this will work. May have to push it out to test as my rod ends for the shift linkage went be in until later this week.

Odie

Whew, I think I got it!! Followed advice and put a single lower inlet tank in the heater circuit. I wasnt sure as yesterday it still got a major air bubble. SOOO.. what I did it use my airlift vacuum system and tried to draw the air out. will it kinds worked, it did purge some air, but because I dint drain the system, it didnt get it all. This morning I was going to try once again to purge what I could. if that didnt work I was going to move the tank to the return line of the radiator where it is the highest and collects air. sure enough, this morning it still had air in that spot there wasnt enough pressure to just open the valve and have it purge, so I opened the vent, squeezed the hose, closed the vent, let go of the hose. (manual pump) I di think a zillion times give or take a million, until coolant came out. then ran the temp up t 205. turned on the cooling fans (temp switch in the radiator is for next winter project when I replace the coolant with aluminum friendly toyota "pink") and poof!! temps dropped to 186ish!! I cycled that a few times. then checked the purge valve. all coolant, not air came out! I would take it for another test drive, but my tow truck driver is at the beach...

Odie

I would take it for another test drive, but my tow truck driver is at the beach...

There’s confidence talking on the hottest day in May ever.

Glad it’s working out. Hope to see it sometime, we have an easy drive coming up in June if you are interested. There are also two days of Autocrosses end of June/July 1st with the Furrin Group which should be a blast.

I've found that 99% of the time I do the coolant bleed procedure, air likes to get trapped in the large radiator hose that connects to the thermostat. That's the hose I pull off and pour coolant in to. Good luck and enjoy your 'new' ride!

Check the thermostat housing for a bleeder capscrew, it has IIRC a 10mm head. See the yellow arrow in the pic below. The capscrew is actually in the stat cover part of the housing and not in the main body of the housing. When you are filling the system, loosening or removing this bolt lets trapped air our of the rad-to-stat housing piping and hose.
IMG_0294a.jpg

Check the thermostat housing for a bleeder bolt, it has IIRC a 10mm head. See the yellow arrow in the pic below. When you are filling the system, loosening or removing this bolt lets trapped air our of the rad-to-stat housing
Check the thermostat housing for a bleeder capscrew, it has IIRC a 10mm head. See the yellow arrow in the pic below. The capscrew is actually in the stat cover part of the housing and not in the main body of the housing. When you are filling the system, loosening or removing this bolt lets trapped air our of the rad-to-stat housing piping and hose.
View attachment 11719
Not all b series have that. I know my housing does not (jdm might be the difference?) . That is why I put in a bleeder in. My stock bleeder was on the housing going to the radiator. When I swapped to the ktuned filler neck I lost it. Figuring a huge filler neck would suffice.

Odie

Back